The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham uni life

Whats it like to be a student at Birmingham university? They've made me a twmpting unconditional offer but I'm still unsure. I wanna know the good the bad and the ugly:smile:
Original post by Emilyjmitchell
Whats it like to be a student at Birmingham university? They've made me a twmpting unconditional offer but I'm still unsure. I wanna know the good the bad and the ugly:smile:

UoB, Aston, BCU, UCB?

Birmingham city is pretty awesome, I like it even though it's completely different to the city I'm from. It's a very culturally diverse city, most of the clubs are centered along Broad Street, and there are more Asian than Whites. It has more canals than Venice, albeit not as nice..
City centre is where New Street St. and the Bullring is, really good for shopping, although the classy part of the city is Snow Hill which is home to some really nice and quirky bars, Jeckyl and Hyde is a personal favourite!

Anything else you want to know just ask!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2

I've just graduated, and had an amazing time. The campus and Selly Oak are pretty good areas, and are where you'll spend most of your time. Then theres a train that runs to the city centre for £1.50 return, takes about 10 minutes. City is modernising and becoming a bit like Manchester. 2nd biggest city so any kind of night out you'll find it. Try get involved in the house party scene in Selly Oak in 2nd and 3rd year.
Birmingham is beautiful, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :wink:
Original post by seal36
I've just graduated, and had an amazing time. The campus and Selly Oak are pretty good areas, and are where you'll spend most of your time. Then theres a train that runs to the city centre for £1.50 return, takes about 10 minutes. City is modernising and becoming a bit like Manchester. 2nd biggest city so any kind of night out you'll find it. Try get involved in the house party scene in Selly Oak in 2nd and 3rd year.

Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
UoB, Aston, BCU, UCB?

Birmingham city is pretty awesome, I like it even though it's completely different to the city I'm from. It's a very culturally diverse city, most of the clubs are centered along Broad Street, and there are more Asian than Whites. It has more canals than Venice, albeit not as nice..
City centre is where New Street St. and the Bullring is, really good for shopping, although the classy part of the city is Snow Hill which is home to some really nice and quirky bars, Jeckyl and Hyde is a personal favourite!

Anything else you want to know just ask!

Was specifically about University of Birmingham. But thanks for ur comments

Thought so, and I wasn't my answer applies to any university in Birmingham!
Reply 7

I was in exactly the same position last year. I got an unconditional offer for the Uni of Birmingham for Modern Languages. I was really torn between Nottingham and Birmingham. The course at Nottingham was slightly better than the one at Birmingham but the unconditional from Birmingham swayed me and I haven't looked back since.
I have met some amazing people and accepting the unconditional offer back in February allowed me to start talking to other people on my course who also accepted an unconditional offer. It allowed me to build a friendship group before even starting uni and they are still the group of friends I am closest to now.

Plus the campus is beautiful and everyone is really friendly!
thanks for your comments. Can i ask which residence your stating at and what you think of it?(are you on the meal plan?)
also how much night life is there? do you go into the city or is it else where? also what is the SU like? is there a large choice of societies ? and are they well organised? while i obviously want to go to a good uni a good student life is also important. thanks again:smile:
Reply 9
thanks for your comments. Can i ask which residence your stating at and what you think of it?(are you on the meal plan?)
also how much night life is there? do you go into the city or is it else where? also what is the SU like? is there a large choice of societies ? and are they well organised? while i obviously want to go to a good uni a good student life is also important. thanks again:smile:

I commute but most of my friends live in Jarratt hall. I think its the cheapest ensuite room they offer at uni. Its literally just over the road from one of the uni gates so it is really conveniently located. They love it there. The student RA's organise nights out in Birmingham for people staying there and they have BBQ's on the law and stuff. most people either go out to the guild or into town for a night out.
There are loads of societies in the guild and the ones i am part of are really good. I think there is a full list online somewhere. They have a bar in the guild, subway a spar, rooms that societies hire out and the basement where they house the nights out for the guild along with Joe's bar upstairs. It is the oldest student union or guild officially in the country so chances are it is going to be pretty good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending