The Student Room Group

Where are the nice looking universities for maths?

Scroll to see replies

Bath, Royal Holloway, Durham and Edinburgh
Original post by TeeEm
I spent 7 years at UCL in the 80s and I never seen this spectacle ...

How?! He's sat right in the middle of the main building these days just chilling out.

As to the OP Birmingham Uni has a lovely campus although the city itself is less architecturally appealing. Bristol is really nice in the main but the Arts and Social sciences library is gross. Maths just got given the old biology building which was probably the best building in the Uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexthomas
I am applying to study mathematics as a degree in 2016. I cannot apply for unis like Oxford of Cambridge. I would like to know universities which have nice cities/buildings such as Bristol and Edinburgh.

Of the ones I know off the top of my head:

Bath = Beautiful city centre and surrounding countryside, uni buildings are a concrete and glass nightmare.

Bristol = Clifton area is pretty, some nice uni buildings. Rest of the city is an urban mess.

Edinburgh = stunning city.

Durham = amazing location for such a small city. Students get to live in a castle!

Stirling = surely the most beautiful setting for a British university.

But the beauty of your surroundings should pretty much be the last thing you think of when applying to university.
Original post by SwedishRedhead
We have google in sweden funnily enough, however I saw pictures of it last time I googled and have no desire to repeat :smug:

Well if you'd used google you'd have been able to find out where the head is today and whether you'll be likely to see it (or not) :wink:
Reply 24
I am applying to study mathematics as a degree in 2016. I cannot apply for unis like Oxford of Cambridge. I would like to know universities which have nice cities/buildings such as Bristol and Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh is definitely a nice looking uni in a gorgeous city; i'm here now
Bristol uni is a bit of an odd one, the area of city it is in i wouldnt say is the nicest

If you're using architecture as the deciding factor to determine where you study for 3+ years then you've got your priorities messed up. Go and see places for yourself on open days.

Durham is a lovely city (I was there 4 years) but if you can't apply for Oxbridge then you probably won't have the grades to get in. Several other places will similarly be out of your reach.
Aside from the ones mentioned previously, Warwick has nice buildings but not a nice city.
As the above poster said, it's not a good way to pick unis.
UCL, Imperial, Durham, Nottingham
Original post by Duncan2012
Well if you'd used google you'd have been able to find out where the head is today and whether you'll be likely to see it (or not) :wink:

Seeing it online is as bad as seeing IRL IMO :wink:

I will pay someone in reps to do this for me :lol:
Bradford.
Royal Holloway

KCL, Durham, and four ancients in Scotland.
Original post by TeeEm
I spent 7 years at UCL in the 80s and I never seen this spectacle ...

His body sits on display in a box in the cloisters of the main building, at least now. His head's in a vault somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter has a beautiful campus and pretty good for maths too.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/campuses/streatham/

Avoid all London unis ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Greenwich is gorgeous, but doesn't rank very highly.

Reply 35
I am applying to study mathematics as a degree in 2016. I cannot apply for unis like Oxford of Cambridge. I would like to know universities which have nice cities/buildings such as Bristol and Edinburgh

Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Bath, Durham, and the old Scottish universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Edinburgh). :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter has a beautiful campus and pretty good for maths too.

... Until you see the physics building. :tongue:
Original post by ombtom
... Until you see the physics building. :tongue:

We aren't talking about Physics ... :tongue:
Definitely agree with the people saying Exeter. All of that bit of the West Country is lovely in my opinion.
King's College has a nice campus in Aldwych.

Quick Reply

Latest