The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I am studying maths at university
wo3 zai4 da4 xue2 xue2 shu4 xue2
我在大学学数学

I am 18 years old.
-> no idiomatic translation, as the question tends to be: how big are you? , and your answer: 18 years. (no equivalent of 'am')
ergo:

ni3 duo2 da4 le, OR, ni2 ji3 sui4 le
你多大了, OR, 你几岁了
and you answer, (wo3) and (le) optional

(wo3) shi2 ba1 sui4 (le)
(&#25105:wink:十八岁(&#20102:wink:

I live in australia
wo3 zhu4 zai4 ao4 da4 li4 ya4
我住在澳大利亚

Hope that helps. :wink:
Reply 2
:eek: Mandarin doesn't half look hard:eek:
Reply 3
gooner1592
:eek: Mandarin doesn't half look hard:eek:

thanks a bunch
Reply 4
bally
thanks a bunch

:p: I'm that sorta guy:p:
It's not actually that hard - once you start learning, you realise how easy it is GRAMMATICALLY than French/German/Spanish. Even the characters you start to at-least RECOGNISE (if maybe not write them).

The main hard part is actually just making sense of all the strange "sounds"! In Fr/Ge/Sp, you don't have to concentrate as much to the speaker since they're closer to English obviously, whereas in Mandarin you have to really listen carefully. After some time though, you get used to certain phrases and it generally gets easier.

Other than that, Mandarin is top top!! I'm definitely doing the Intermediate level next year (and "further" in my final year) hopefully.
Reply 6
Cunning Linguist
It's not actually that hard - once you start learning, you realise how easy it is GRAMMATICALLY than French/German/Spanish. Even the characters you start to at-least RECOGNISE (if maybe not write them).

The main hard part is actually just making sense of all the strange "sounds"! In Fr/Ge/Sp, you don't have to concentrate as much to the speaker since they're closer to English obviously, whereas in Mandarin you have to really listen carefully. After some time though, you get used to certain phrases and it generally gets easier.

Other than that, Mandarin is top top!! I'm definitely doing the Intermediate level next year (and "further" in my final year) hopefully.

I'm still not convinced - its the whole idea of a new alphabet that freaks me out, and I don't think I'd like the sound of it, which is a very important part of a language - hence the reason for liking the romance languages - I believe they are quite nice to listen to:smile:
Reply 7
tariel
I am studying maths at university
wo3 zai4 da4 xue2 xue2 shu4 xue2
我在大学学数学

I am 18 years old.
-> no idiomatic translation, as the question tends to be: how big are you? , and your answer: 18 years. (no equivalent of 'am')
ergo:

ni3 duo2 da4 le, OR, ni2 ji3 sui4 le
你多大了, OR, 你几岁了
and you answer, (wo3) and (le) optional

(wo3) shi2 ba1 sui4 (le)
(&#25105:wink:十八岁(&#20102:wink:

I live in australia
wo3 zhu4 zai4 ao4 da4 li4 ya4
我住在澳大利亚

Hope that helps. :wink:

In traditional Chinese

1. 我在大學學數學

2. 你多大了? OR 你幾歲?
(我)十八歲(了)

3.我住(在)澳大利亞 OR 澳洲
Reply 8
thanks pharmakos. Looks like I dont have the chinese language set installed on my computer :frown: Cant read the traditional chinese characters at all !

edit: sorry gooner, quoted the wrong person :wink:
Reply 9
Cunning Linguist

Not quite exactly! The Chinese langauge is perhaps grammatically easier and yet more confusing, in that one can drop the subject or verbs to be (as in Latin); that verbs don't have tenses; and so forth.
gooner1592
I'm still not convinced - its the whole idea of a new alphabet that freaks me out, and I don't think I'd like the sound of it, which is a very important part of a language - hence the reason for liking the romance languages - I believe they are quite nice to listen to:smile:
Alphabet??

I suppose if you don't like the sound of it (which is what motivates me the most!! It sounds so nice and complicated) then it's pointless. You have to want to sound like native-speakers (eventually anyway)
Reply 11
Re: bally

if you can't see the characters, go to 'View', 'Encoding' and change it to UNICODE UTF-8. Most online characters will show up then. Otherwise you might want to install Chinese Simplified (HZ). UTF-8 and HZ usually covers up to 90% of sites (certainly the more reliable ones!). If you want to copy stuff, Word usually allows you to copy simplified characters. Typing is slightly harder, but if you try Google, downloading the programme NJStar is free on many websites and it is rather easy to use (if you know how to type pinyin!)

Re: gooner

There isn't an alphabet in chinese. I think you might be mixing it up with Japanese. Japanese has two alphabets, the katagana, for nouns derived from European languages or other proper nouns, and the hiragana, for most sentence compositions. The Kanji (third major component) in Japanese is basically chinese, which is used for names, place names and most nouns (which may also be written with hiragana). That's complication for you. :s-smilie:

Chinese is technically easy to construct, especially if you're from a multi-conjugating romance language as it has no change in tenses (you only need to place the verb in context, as it were). It follows most English syntax, the only major problem being the possible confusions regarding 'possession' (the 'de' role in chinese is rather confusing, considering there are three different forms of the same word and even native speakers may mix them up!)

Speaking is hard to master, but if you're learning Mandarin, then there are only 4 basic sounds that you need to know (the 5th is a natural 'soft' sound). So once you know the 4 basic intonations, you can pretty much figure out the rest quite logically anyway! :smile:
Hey!!! I'm a Hong Kong Australian who is living in Hong Kong now...^^ Let me participate and I can help you translate any Chinese pharse into English or English to Chinese....

I am so happy that there's another guy who is similar to me . I only type Traditional Chinese but I don't type the Simplified one mainly. Besides, I only speak Cantonese Fluently but i can't speak Mandarin well. As Cantonese Chinese is one of my native languages apart from English.

Yes! Most people always confuse Chinese and Japanese. Chinese is only used one type of character (Hanzi), not letters to write while Japanese has 3 types of Characters (Kenji, katagana and hiragana). If people who studies Chinese and Japanese together, they must get confused easily. They both differ from Euporean language that they are belonged to another language families. Chinese is belonged to Sino-Tibetan and Japanese is belonged to isolated languages that can't be classified nowadays. There's no tences changes in Chinese. That means you can use the words commonly in past, now and future, unlike English. The shape of Kenji is similar and same as hanzi but the meaning can be same or different.

Writing and Reading are easiler for foreign learners because you just learn the shape of the characters and memerise to write it. Speaking is quite complicated due to dialects. Cantonese (I speak Cantonese mainly) and Mandarin sound different but the characters they used are same. Basicly, Mandarin is easiler than Canontese because it is the standard one for the world. 4 basic intonations are present in Mandarin while 9 basic intonations in Cantonese!!!
Reply 13
tariel
Re: bally

if you can't see the characters, go to 'View', 'Encoding' and change it to UNICODE UTF-8. Most online characters will show up then. Otherwise you might want to install Chinese Simplified (HZ). UTF-8 and HZ usually covers up to 90% of sites (certainly the more reliable ones!). If you want to copy stuff, Word usually allows you to copy simplified characters. Typing is slightly harder, but if you try Google, downloading the programme NJStar is free on many websites and it is rather easy to use (if you know how to type pinyin!)

Re: gooner

There isn't an alphabet in chinese. I think you might be mixing it up with Japanese. Japanese has two alphabets, the katagana, for nouns derived from European languages or other proper nouns, and the hiragana, for most sentence compositions. The Kanji (third major component) in Japanese is basically chinese, which is used for names, place names and most nouns (which may also be written with hiragana). That's complication for you. :s-smilie:

Chinese is technically easy to construct, especially if you're from a multi-conjugating romance language as it has no change in tenses (you only need to place the verb in context, as it were). It follows most English syntax, the only major problem being the possible confusions regarding 'possession' (the 'de' role in chinese is rather confusing, considering there are three different forms of the same word and even native speakers may mix them up!)

Speaking is hard to master, but if you're learning Mandarin, then there are only 4 basic sounds that you need to know (the 5th is a natural 'soft' sound). So once you know the 4 basic intonations, you can pretty much figure out the rest quite logically anyway! :smile:

Thanks a bunch tariel, I can see the characters now :biggrin:

Hi Kenny! Nice to know you can help!
OK, How can I help you?

For Translation or something?

Yet, if i translate some passage into Chinese, the passage may appear some Simplified Chinese characters from the full traditional form. As it saves time for writing

Latest

Trending

Trending