The Student Room Group

UK man facing Saudi lashes plead with PM

British man who is facing 350 lashes in Saudi Arabia after homemade wine was found in his car have pleaded with David Cameron

- Should Dave intervene? that's if he can, he's currently too busy sucking up to our new Chinese masters.

Personally i think he should just take it like a man, considering he blatantly knew he was in the wrong.

Bill

Scroll to see replies

I read that he wasn't going to get them as he was too ill
some people put themselves in danger. Why would you do that knowing alcohol is not allowed there and some Arab Emirates too.
I don't believe in sharia law but I believe in respecting the law of the country one is in
Original post by Bealzibub

What's wrong with him?
Reply 4
Original post by Bealzibub

Apparently it's still going a head. You wouldn't find me with half of blossom hill in my trunk in the middle east mind you.
Reply 5
Original post by queen-bee
some people put themselves in danger. Why would you do that knowing alcohol is not allowed there and some Arab Emirates too.
I don't believe in sharia law but I believe in respecting the law of the country one is in

Exactly! I had to pay like £8 a beer in Dubai :tongue:
Original post by Bill_Gates
Derogatory term. Please grow up.

Just report them like I do
Exactly! I had to pay like £8 a beer in Dubai :tongue:

I think Dubai and maybe Abu Dhabi are the only Emirates you're allowed to drink alcohol and sell alcohol and ONLY in a licensed bar. You wouldn't find them selling alcohol in stores like they do in the UK. In Sharjah and Ajman and the other Emirates no alcohol is allowed
I think Dubai and maybe Abu Dhabi are the only Emirates you're allowed to drink alcohol and sell alcohol and ONLY in a licensed bar. You wouldn't find them selling alcohol in stores like they do in the UK. In Sharjah and Ajman and the other Emirates no alcohol is allowed

In Qatar too, in licensed places. (I think only some hotel bars and 1-2 independent ones)
Reply 9
Just report them like I do

Already did! :P

Yep. I stayed at hotels in Sharjah and Ajman and they were serving alcohol in the club lounge, although i was too busy building a sand castle.
Original post by Student403
In Qatar too, in licensed places. (I think only some hotel bars and 1-2 independent ones)

Exactly. The Middle East are tough on these sorts of things. I wouldn't risk my life because of alcohol

Why should you when that country's law is not decided democratically but dictated by an oil-rich dictatorship? What right do they have to tell you - and millions of others - what you can and can't do? What gives them that right?

(I'm talking of course from a moral perspective - keeping yourself safe is obviously more important).
Already did! :P

Yep. I stayed at hotels in Sharjah and Ajman and they were serving alcohol in the club lounge, although i was too busy building a sand castle.

But that's so strange because I was told alcohol was strictly forbidden in those two Emirates,only in Dubai could I buy alcohol and I had to go to the Palm Atlantis shopping mall for that
Original post by Saoirse:3
Why should you when that country's law is not decided democratically but dictated by an oil-rich dictatorship? What right do they have to tell you - and millions of others - what you can and can't do? What gives them that right?

(I'm talking of course from a moral perspective - keeping yourself safe is obviously more important).

If you can't abide by their rules then one shouldn't live their. Personally I'm not going to risk my life for something like carrying alcohol. How they run there country is none of my business and I don't agree with their treatment of Muslims and non Muslims alike.

It's a Muslim country and they operate on Muslim laws(sharia law) so I don't know
Reply 14

A valid argument if the law was followed by anyone. There was a story of a alcohol smuggler being arrested. His biggest client had been the Saudi Prince in charge of alcohol enforcement. The majority of the elites drink alcohol and brazenly break the laws over there. The whole system is a corrupt cesspit.

So if the UK had a law proscribing the stoning of anyone who engaged in sodomy (regardless of sexuality), would you defend the implementation of that law?

Basically, do you think there is ever a case where your above defence of the law wouldn't apply? The answer to this, I hope, is yes.
(edited 8 years ago)
But that's so strange because I was told alcohol was strictly forbidden in those two Emirates,only in Dubai could I buy alcohol and I had to go to the Palm Atlantis shopping mall for that

I stayed for a night or two about a year ago, my uncle was looking to buy a property there. It was free flowing at the hotel.

Here's a clip from travel website:
- on the way home from the bottle shops in Ajman or Ras Al Khaimah, where you can buy alcohol without a licence.

Ajman well known for it's parties etc. Lots of Russians about :P
Reply 17

He didn't bribe the right person.
If you can't abide by their rules then one shouldn't live their. Personally I'm not going to risk my life for something like carrying alcohol. How they run there country is none of my business and I don't agree with their treatment of Muslims and non Muslims alike.

It's a Muslim country and they operate on Muslim laws(sharia law) so I don't know

In principle I agree it was stupid of the guy, but Saudi is corrupt as hell. Their royal family are massive drunks and I really could see people planting alcohol on people they didn't like, bribing police to have them convicted and all sorts of foul play.

Whose laws are they? They aren't the people's laws. Nobody voted for them. The argument only applies if you think the ownership of an entire state by one family, who then make the rules and punishments for thousands or millions of others, is legitimate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending