The Student Room Group

Honest opinions on GCSE sociology?

Hi, I'm picking my subjects in February, and for the three I get to choose after double English, maths, further maths, German and triple science, I'll do History, Latin but for my 3rd subject I'm undecided. I don't know whether to pick sociology or Geography. Even though I know geography is better regarded by top universities that I want to go to, the school I go, doesn't have a great geography department and as I know not much about the subject sociology at Gcse and whether its fun. I'd really appreciate people's opinions and also whether you'd found it challenging.
The other subjects you've chosen sound worthwhile and academically rigorous. The choice is yours really, Sociology is a complete joke subject and isn't worth a damn thing anywhere. It'll be effectively a free period where you can do coursework for the other subjects. Or you can take another proper subject.
I could not disagree more with Jonathan.

As a trainee Sociology teacher, who studied a degree in Social Sciences at one of the top ten Universities in the country (as well as working within the admissions department of the University), I feel I am much more qualified to answer this question than Jonathan.

Sociology GCSE will not be regarded as a poor choice by top universities. Of course, the subjects which you choose at GCSE are important, but what you take at A level will matter more. If you are planning to go down the Sociology, Psychology,History, Business or English route, Sociology will be looked upon favourably.

The GCSE Sociology is a fantastic introduction to Sociology. It is a varied and interesting course which covers a wide range of topics (such as the family, media, crime and inequality). Whilst some of the concepts can be complicated, the content is enjoyable and incredibly relevant to modern society.

I am of course biased but I would say go for Sociology!
(edited 8 years ago)

As a trainee Sociology teacher, who studied a degree in Social Sciences at one of the top ten Universities in the country (as well as working within the admissions department of the University), I feel I am much more qualified to answer this question than Jonathan who doesn't have a clue!

Sociology GCSE will not be regarded as a poor choice by top universities. Of course, the subjects which you choose at GCSE are important, but what you take at A level will matter more. If you are planning to go down the Sociology, Psychology,History, Business or English route, Sociology will be looked upon favourably.

The GCSE Sociology is a fantastic introduction to Sociology. It is a varied and interesting course which covers a wide range of topics (such as the family, media, crime and inequality). Whilst some of the concepts can be complicated, the content is enjoyable and incredibly relevant to modern society. It is also a great foundation for A level, as it covers some of the same topics (but they are obviously looked at in more detail at A level).

I must say I truly loved sociology at GCSE! The content is extremely interesting which makes it easy to remember resulting in you doing better at the end of the year! I am now doing a level sociology and love it just as much! It is recognised by universities as it is an essay based subject :smile:! Hope this helps. I'd defiantly say do it !!
Original post by Emilythorb
I must say I truly loved sociology at GCSE! The content is extremely interesting which makes it easy to remember resulting in you doing better at the end of the year! I am now doing a level sociology and love it just as much! It is recognised by universities as it is an essay based subject :smile:! Hope this helps. I'd defiantly say do it !!

Is sociology hard though? I mean how hard is it to pass the subject....
As long as you put the effort in your revision, you will do well. No subject is easy.
Original post by cd93citsoc

As a trainee Sociology teacher, who studied a degree in Social Sciences at one of the top ten Universities in the country (as well as working within the admissions department of the University), I feel I am much more qualified to answer this question than Jonathan.

The GCSE Sociology is a fantastic introduction to Sociology. It is a varied and interesting course which covers a wide range of topics (such as the family, media, crime and inequality). Whilst some of the concepts can be complicated, the content is enjoyable and incredibly relevant to modern society.

Damn. You murdered Johnathan.
Reply 8
Original post by SineadH0312
I really enjoyed sociology at GCSEs, especially the family unit. I found it that interesting that I went on to do it at a levels as well, which is just as interesting. I’ve also found that it relates to everyday situations, there are so many times where I’ve thought oh yeah, this relates to this that we’ve learned in sociology. Sociology was also useful for history when we studied Marxism as it related to units in Nazi Germany and the Cold War.

Hi there! This is an older thread, approximately the life span of eight alien head mantids :eek:
It’s great you want to help though! If you go under unanswered questions I’m sure there are still lots of people who would love some advice :^_^:
Alternatively, check out latest discussions ( as I’m sure you already have!)
Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending