The Student Room Group

Teaching yourself A2 Further Maths

Hi,

How hard is it to self teach A2 Further Maths?
I'm intending to do the modules FP2, M3, and D2. I'm currently studying AS Further Maths and A2 maths in college, and in order to get to one of the higher universities need the full further maths (especially since I'm currently only studying 2 A2s).
The modules I will have after this year are: C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, D1, FP1, M1 and M2.

I got an A last year in AS Maths, and am finding FP1 straight forward, and enjoying Mechanics.

How hard is FP2 to teach myself? Do you think M3 and D2 are good applied modules to study (given I really like mechanics)?

EDIT: Exam board is Edexcel
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jamdroid
Hi,

I'm intending to do the modules FP2, M3, and D2. I'm currently studying AS Further Maths and A2 maths in college, and in order to get to one of the higher universities need the full further maths (especially since I'm currently only studying 2 A2s).
The modules I will have after this year are: C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, D1, FP1, M1 and M2.

I got an A last year in AS Maths, and am finding FP1 straight forward, and enjoying Mechanics.

How hard is FP2 to teach myself? Do you think M3 and D2 are good applied modules to study (given I really like mechanics)?

FP2 will require a greater fundamental understanding of concepts. M3 is fine if you like mechanics, but it is a bit of a jump from M2. I'm not doing D2, but it can't be impossible. :smile:
Hi,

FP2 is a tricky module (for Edexcel a least) but most of the content shouldn't be too difficult to teach yourself. For this module I found that there were some areas I just didn't understand (self taught as well) but thankfully that was only a few topics.

I can't comment on M3 or D2 (I did S1-4, M1 and D1) but I would say do the ones you are most interested in as it makes self teaching a lot more fun/easier.
These are the exact modules I did when I self taught FM - I was also on the AS FM course. What exam board are you on? And these are good modules to do, for OCR at least. I also did FP3 in addition to FP2 to give myself a buffer but did a lot better in FP2
Reply 4
Original post by ombtom
FP2 will require a greater fundamental understanding of concepts. M3 is fine if you like mechanics, but it is a bit of a jump from M2. I'm not doing D2, but it can't be impossible. :smile:

Each module seems to be a jump of some scale from the previous, it should be fine :smile: Especially since I actually enjoy mechanics! Appreciate the reply dude, definitely helpful :smile:

Original post by SeanFM
FP2 is a tricky module (for Edexcel a least) but most of the content shouldn't be too difficult to teach yourself. For this module I found that there were some areas I just didn't understand (self taught as well) but thankfully that was only a few topics.

I can't comment on M3 or D2 (I did S1-4, M1 and D1) but I would say do the ones you are most interested in as it makes self teaching a lot more fun/easier.

I see. Do you recommend any resources and textbooks? How did you get through them? What topics were they (so I can perhaps get help from college whilst I still can :smile:). I've heard similar things about FP2 here and there, but it is definitely reassuring to know it's not impossible to self teach.

I agree with that final statement - I'm assuming you enjoy Stats to do all those modules! I did enjoy stats last year (it was the highest marked paper out of my 3 AS modules), but perhaps by the end of next year I will have forgotten most things so will choose to do D2 instead (or maybe look at doing M4). Thank you for the very useful response!

Original post by Wahrheit
These are the exact modules I did when I self taught FM - I was also on the AS FM course. What exam board are you on? And these are good modules to do, for OCR at least. I also did FP3 in addition to FP2 to give myself a buffer but did a lot better in FP2

I am on Edexcel - should have probably said that in my initial post :P. Either way, they can't be too different in terms of difficulty.
Would you recommend FP3 (perhaps instead of D2)? I imagine it's even harder than FP2, but would definitely help my understanding of the module (as well as FP3 being a very stand-out module to have for getting into university). Thanks for the response, I appreciate it :smile:
Hey guys, I'm self studying M3 also
Each module seems to be a jump of some scale from the previous, it should be fine :smile: Especially since I actually enjoy mechanics! Appreciate the reply dude, definitely helpful :smile:

I see. Do you recommend any resources and textbooks? How did you get through them? What topics were they (so I can perhaps get help from college whilst I still can :smile:). I've heard similar things about FP2 here and there, but it is definitely reassuring to know it's not impossible to self teach.

I agree with that final statement - I'm assuming you enjoy Stats to do all those modules! I did enjoy stats last year (it was the highest marked paper out of my 3 AS modules), but perhaps by the end of next year I will have forgotten most things so will choose to do D2 instead (or maybe look at doing M4). Thank you for the very useful response!

I am on Edexcel - should have probably said that in my initial post :P. Either way, they can't be too different in terms of difficulty.
Would you recommend FP3 (perhaps instead of D2)? I imagine it's even harder than FP2, but would definitely help my understanding of the module (as well as FP3 being a very stand-out module to have for getting into university). Thanks for the response, I appreciate it :smile:

You can teach yourself D2 in like 3 days, there's very little content. If you decide to teach yourself FP3, do it in addition to D2 rather than instead of, that's my advice. I believe Edexcel and OCR organise FP2 and FP3 differently, eg we had differential equations in FP3 and polar coordinates in FP2, might be different for Edexcel or AQA. As far as giving yourself a head start for uni, FP2 and FP3 will be the most important modules to take, though.
Reply 7
Each module seems to be a jump of some scale from the previous, it should be fine

I found that the only exception is M1 to M2. It seemed harder to go from no mechanics to some mechanics than from some to a bit more. :dontknow:
Original post by ombtom
I found that the only exception is M1 to M2. It seemed harder to go from no mechanics to some mechanics than from some to a bit more. :dontknow:

How's M3?
Reply 9
Original post by Student403
How's M3?

I'm finding it a lot harder than M2. At least it's making the mechanics in A2 Physics ridiculously easy (as M1 did for AS).

Kinematics, variable forces/work, and circular motion are all okay. SHM is a bit confusing. I've got springs and centres of mass left to learn.

I was fine with just the textbook and didn't really need anything else - I found that Edexcel's textbooks are good at explaining things.

Some things I found difficult in FP2 were polar graphs (getting to grips with what theta is and how you plot them, as well as integration when it got tricky involving two shapes etc), transformations to the u,v plane (Chapter 3) as well as something else in chapter 3 about arg(theta-thi) = ... or some other greek symbols.

S1 doesn't have much to do with S2, S3 or S4 apart from dealing with normal distributions, so you don't need to worry about that, but if you like all three branches then do as you please. Good luck!
Original post by ombtom
I'm finding it a lot harder than M2. At least it's making the mechanics in A2 Physics ridiculously easy (as M1 did for AS).

Kinematics, variable forces/work, and circular motion are all okay. SHM is a bit confusing. I've got springs and centres of mass left to learn.

Ah cheers! I'm due to start the self teaching in January. Want to keep each other updated? I really would like someone to talk to about the module, as I've heard it can be kinda tough
Reply 12
Ah cheers! I'm due to start the self teaching in January. Want to keep each other updated? I really would like someone to talk to about the module, as I've heard it can be kinda tough

Sure, I'll follow you! I put that I'm doing M5 on UCAS so I have a lot to do still. :lolwut:
Original post by ombtom
Sure, I'll follow you! I put that I'm doing M5 on UCAS so I have a lot to do still. :lolwut:

JESUS M5!? Best of luck man! And cheers followed back :biggrin: Let's stay in touch!
Reply 14

I'm self teaching M3 as well, although my exams are in January.

@OP, I'm self-teaching C1-4, M1-3, S1-2, FP1-3 (EdExcel) and found them quite straightforward, takes about 1/2 days to learn a module then the rest is a bit of practice. So, I self-taught all of the above in a week or two, practice for another week and then moved on to STEP prep.
Reply 15
JESUS M5!? Best of luck man! And cheers followed back :biggrin: Let's stay in touch!

Yeah, it was that or D1. :wink:
Original post by ombtom
Yeah, it was that or D1. :wink:

Sounds like that was an easy choice haha
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken

@OP, I'm self-teaching C1-4, M1-3, S1-2, FP1-3 (EdExcel) and found them quite straightforward, takes about 1/2 days to learn a module then the rest is a bit of practice. So, I self-taught all of the above in a week or two, practice for another week and then moved on to STEP prep.

That's quite exceptional. Have fun at Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Original post by Zacken

You're self teaching yourself two full A levels. Wow 0.0
Reply 19
You're self teaching yourself two full A levels. Wow 0.0

And physics, not that I have much of a choice. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest