The Student Room Group

How to tell if you would be good at Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by defenestrated
actually yeah, my teacher said that even if you get an A* in gcse maths, you could get a U at A level
why???
what's so different?

Hey cutie :wink:

I would think from my own experience of A-Levels is that maths a-level requires considerably more work than its GCSE counterpart. A lot of people say that C1 and C2 are easy though.
This thread has got overloaded actually :colondollar:
Reply 42
rare but it happens

One of my (private) students got B at GCSE in 2008, got A* at A level in 2010, then did "some" degree at Reading.

He finished that degree, self taught Further maths in 2 years, got A* in FM, and just started a degree in Maths at Kings in Sep 2015
Reply 43
Original post by Duke Glacia
I need a dictionary :cry2::cry2:
So maybe like simon singh ?

lol apologies...Yeah a career like Singh's sounds quite fun.
Original post by TeeEm
rare but it happens

One of my (private) students got B at GCSE in 2008, got A* at A level in 2010, then did "some" degree at Reading.

He finished that degree, self taught Further maths in 2 years, got A* in FM, and just started a degree in Maths at Kings in Sep 2015

You're a teacher then? Or tutor of some sort?
I did my maths GCSE in 2010 but the school I was at put me in set 2 when I wanted to get a B to get onto a-level physics so naturally I taught myself some of the material off CD's. I didn't do maths at a-level but now I wish I had done. Would it be possible to teach yourself AS Maths?
C1 and 2 is easy.
C1 and 2 is easy.

Even if you only have a B at GCSE and havn't done maths proper for 5 years? Really?
Its possible absolutely. And it takes much less time. And you feel nore independant.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

I love your avatar, did you draw it yourself? Why Flanders of all people?
Reply 49
of course it is possible as you will be more motivated now.

post a thread here and ask for advice and opinions
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Its possible absolutely. And it takes much less time. And you feel nore independant.

Could you recommend any good websites where it is taught via video? I think I'm definatly an auditory learner and I'd like to do maths distance learning. What about the applied modules?
B at gcse. Is a bit problem. Did you end up with a B because of not studyin at all or because you wernt very good at it. Most of my frinds got a* in gcse but ended up with b in a level. Additionally some uni requires you to have a* in maths gcse(stem degress)
B at gcse. Is a bit problem. Did you end up with a B because of not studyin at all or because you wernt very good at it. Most of my frinds got a* in gcse but ended up with b in a level. Additionally some uni requires you to have a* in maths gcse(stem degress)

I went to a rubbish high school and they obviously didn't think I was capable of the maths higher paper so they put me in Set 2. I wanted to do physics at A-level so I taught myself some of the higher paper material with aim to getting a B and taking the higher level paper. Clearly I proved them all wrong.

Would it be a huge problem?
Edexcel textbook is the best. (If youre doin edexcel)
For website i found patrick jmt and maths tutor uk heloful.
For applied modules. Do you like physics ? If so mechanics might suit you. But if not try s1 and d1 they are pretty ok.
How much did you get ?
Edexcel textbook is the best. (If youre doin edexcel)
For website i found patrick jmt and maths tutor uk heloful.
For applied modules. Do you like physics ? If so mechanics might suit you. But if not try s1 and d1 they are pretty ok.

That's good already have them.
Thanks for the website rec's, I'll check them out.
I did Physics at AS Level so I think I'll probably do D1 or S1 instead.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

I would also like to be an engineering author. Its pretty fascinating to fascinate people with something you love.
How much did you get ?

For what? Physics AS or Maths GCSE? I don't know the exact mark for either of them, it was some time ago and tbh I was just happy at having got a B at the time.
Im not sure but s1 and d1 might suit you. Its akk uobto you though
Im not sure but s1 and d1 might suit you. Its akk uobto you though

Most UK universities don't even ask for A* in maths for any course, let alone the one I want to do I so I'm not overly worried. I don't even need it at A-Level for what I want to do but I figured it would give me important skills.

Quick Reply

Latest