The Student Room Group

How to tell if you would be good at Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duke Glacia
That's very interesting. Youre interests really varied .....
I wanted to be a wwe prowrestler when i was small but now i really dont know what to become.
This is just a genaral question but which do you think is tough. Step 3 or imo ?

IMO... let's just that it takes over 4 hours for me to solve one of those questions sometimes.
Original post by Renzhi10122
IMO... let's just that it takes over 4 hours for me to solve one of those questions sometimes.

You solved it !:adore:
Original post by TeeEm

As I said the shock at the start of a Mathematics degree is very common. I warn my own students about it so they can deal better with it when/if it comes.

All the best.

Any way to lessen the jump/shock in difficulty before we start university or is that something we will just deal with once we're there?
Reply 63
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Any way to lessen the jump/shock in difficulty before we start university or is that something we will just deal with once we're there?

I would imagine that preparation above the level of the standard A level syllabi, and questions from STEP/IMO may be beneficial
Reply 64
Original post by TeeEm

After 3 weeks I switched to straight maths (I could not stand computing)

Why TeeEm?
*I did Computing, so of course I'm naturally curious.

... because I did not enjoy Pure maths.

This as well.
Reply 65
Original post by kka25
Why TeeEm?

This as well.

There is nothing wrong with computing, I truly admire you.
Just was not for me (I guess I did not have a real interest in it/ we are talking 30 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by TeeEm
There is nothing wrong with computing, I truly admire you.
Just was not for me (I guess I did not have a real interest in it/ we are talking 30 years ago)

The level of abstractions in Maths is higher and more general though than Computing :erm:
Original post by kka25
Why TeeEm?

This as well.

Did you study/are you studying pure maths at uni? :K:
Original post by AQuestion1
How to know whether you have the potential to be good at Maths?

Commitment. The more effort and time you put in Mathematics the better you will become. Maths is just another skill.

Quick Reply

Latest