The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

career outside science....
Reply 21
Original post by katie88
I am in my final year in pharmacology and I loved it as a course and couldn't imagine having done anything else. Sure its tough work but I enjoyed it. I chose pharmacology over pharmacy as I didn't want to be making the same few common drugs day in, day out. With a pharmacology degree you can work in either academia or industry helping in the design of new drugs by coming up with assays or animal models to test the drugs and possibly helping in clinical trials if that is what you are interested in. I choose pharmacology over medicine as I personally would get to attached to patients and the pharmacology aspect of medicine is merely learning off drug names and doses while in the full pharmacology degree you learn about the action of drug classes in the body, how they mediate their effect and possible side effects and how drugs can be improved in the hope of making better medicines.

I am just about to finish my final year and I already have a job so I don't know what other people are on about. I did an internship last summer in a pharmaceutical company and I am either continuing with that work (computer database work of pharm data from the labs to help decide which drugs should enter into clinical trials) or I am going to transfer into being a quality project coordinator where I overlook CROs and general project management.

I think the possibilities are endless with a pharmacology degree and I think it is only people who don't research anything that thinks that you can only transfer to medicine or pharmacy.

I also know of a lot of friends who are remaining in academia and doing PHDs. The good thing about my pharm degree was that I had my own thesis where I did my own work on cancer cells and saw the effects that certain compounds had on their growth.

I hope this helps someone!

THANK YOU SO MUCH this really helped me because i literally want to go into a pharmaceutical company and everyone is saying there are no jobs?? i need experience but i dont know which pharma companies provide them :///
Have a look at this website:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_pharmacology.htm

Studying Pharmacology sets you up with a lot of scientific skills in both chemistry and biology. I don't think job prospects for Pharmacology are as bad as people make out - the problem I'm having is trying to choose WHICH path to take, not finding one!

If you want to work for a pharmaceutical company. Big names include: AstraZeneca (where I'm currently doing my industrial placement), GSK, MedImmune, Covance. There are also loads of smaller companies based in the UK e.g. Eisai, EvoTec. You can also go on to work for a scientific (rather than pharmaceutical) company and there's quite a few if you know where to look (New Scientist jobs, for example). You can work for companies like these with only a BSc degree and experience in a laboratory setting.

A few posts require a PhD and they generally get paid more - but you have to have the right mindset to do one and if you can't get funding/a paid studentship, it can be very expensive.

Don't bother doing a Masters unless you want to completely change your field of interest or go into teaching (my A-level chemistry teacher did a Pharmacology degree and it's something I'm considering).

The NHS do a STP (Student Training Programme) which sets you up for scientific roles in hospitals such as haematologist, biochemist etc. Google it, but it's very competitive (good graduate pay though!).

Other science-based jobs include: science communications, medical/science writer, work in Quality Assurance, IP Law.

Non-science related jobs can be anything - the student who was doing an industrial placement before decided to go into Accountancy. There are loads of graduate schemes at places like Danone, Johnson & Johnson, Reckitt Benkiser (all household names - even if you don't realise it!) where you can go into finance, marketing, sales etc. But these are usually quite competitive.

Hope this has helped! I study Pharmacology at Leeds Uni, currently on my industrial placement :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by vineyard13
Have a look at this website:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_pharmacology.htm

Studying Pharmacology sets you up with a lot of scientific skills in both chemistry and biology. I don't think job prospects for Pharmacology are as bad as people make out - the problem I'm having is trying to choose WHICH path to take, not finding one!

If you want to work for a pharmaceutical company. Big names include: AstraZeneca (where I'm currently doing my industrial placement), GSK, MedImmune, Covance. There are also loads of smaller companies based in the UK e.g. Eisai, EvoTec. You can also go on to work for a scientific (rather than pharmaceutical) company and there's quite a few if you know where to look (New Scientist jobs, for example). You can work for companies like these with only a BSc degree and experience in a laboratory setting.

A few posts require a PhD and they generally get paid more - but you have to have the right mindset to do one and if you can't get funding/a paid studentship, it can be very expensive.

Don't bother doing a Masters unless you want to completely change your field of interest or go into teaching (my A-level chemistry teacher did a Pharmacology degree and it's something I'm considering).

The NHS do a STP (Student Training Programme) which sets you up for scientific roles in hospitals such as haematologist, biochemist etc. Google it, but it's very competitive (good graduate pay though!).

Other science-based jobs include: science communications, medical/science writer, work in Quality Assurance, IP Law.

Non-science related jobs can be anything - the student who was doing an industrial placement before decided to go into Accountancy. There are loads of graduate schemes at places like Danone, Johnson & Johnson, Reckitt Benkiser (all household names - even if you don't realise it!) where you can go into finance, marketing, sales etc. But these are usually quite competitive.

Hope this has helped! I study Pharmacology at Leeds Uni, currently on my industrial placement :smile:

i just wanted to ask how you managed to get an industrial placement at astrazeneca? arent they really hard to get into because thats what i want to do when i leave uni (in in first year) and is there any other work experience/ internships you would recommend? thank you! :smile:
if you're in your first year, you should apply to do a year in industry in one of the "big pharma" companies at the start of your second year. Application deadlines are usually around October time. Also check if your university allows it! If you get it, you'll do your placement between second and third year (so 4 year degree in total). Universities usually send round e-mails when applications open/close for big companies but also look on their careers section of their websites to check. Don't leave your application until last minute! They can be quite long and some questions require a lot of thought. What I did was see what the questions were, put them into a word document and worked on it until I thought it was it's best then got my careers centre at uni to go through it with me. I also did a mock interview with them - it prepares you for the competency STAR (Situation Task Action Result) questions - which you'll inevitably be asked at the interview! But make sure your application stands out from the rest because they have to throw a lot away to pick the people for interview.

Also, make sure you get good marks in second and first year, they won't look at anyone with a 2:2 (or very doubtful). Try and get some laboratory experience outside what you do in your course e.g. summer internships at uni or during term time. You can ask your lecturers about these to see if anyones offering them - your tutor is your best bet because they know you! It doesn't matter what it is at this stage, any experience is good experience and you can talk about that at your interview/in your application.

Don't be put off if you don't get into a big company, any industrial placement is invaluable! But apply to EVERYTHING and don't say no to any offers you get because you might not get another!
hello,
I am looking to study pharmacology at university, but upon reading so many reviews about the course, i've been discouraged about the prospectus of the course and career opportunities. You sound as though you've seen the more encouraging part of the course. Could you please leave some tips on how I should approach the course and what i should keep and eye out for.

It would be much appreciated.
What can you do witha pharmacology and physiotherapy degree
Because medway school of pharmacy offers that degree.
Reply 28
Where did you study??
Hi there, my son is doing pharmacology degree and wants to do medicine after that, I am just wondering can he get help with his tuition fees from the government? Like student loan?Thank you 😊
Reply 30
Hi Katie,
You prob

Original post by katie88
I am in my final year in pharmacology and I loved it as a course and couldn't imagine having done anything else. Sure its tough work but I enjoyed it. I chose pharmacology over pharmacy as I didn't want to be making the same few common drugs day in, day out. With a pharmacology degree you can work in either academia or industry helping in the design of new drugs by coming up with assays or animal models to test the drugs and possibly helping in clinical trials if that is what you are interested in. I choose pharmacology over medicine as I personally would get to attached to patients and the pharmacology aspect of medicine is merely learning off drug names and doses while in the full pharmacology degree you learn about the action of drug classes in the body, how they mediate their effect and possible side effects and how drugs can be improved in the hope of making better medicines.

I am just about to finish my final year and I already have a job so I don't know what other people are on about. I did an internship last summer in a pharmaceutical company and I am either continuing with that work (computer database work of pharm data from the labs to help decide which drugs should enter into clinical trials) or I am going to transfer into being a quality project coordinator where I overlook CROs and general project management.

I think the possibilities are endless with a pharmacology degree and I think it is only people who don't research anything that thinks that you can only transfer to medicine or pharmacy.

I also know of a lot of friends who are remaining in academia and doing PHDs. The good thing about my pharm degree was that I had my own thesis where I did my own work on cancer cells and saw the effects that certain compounds had on their growth.

Hello from the future Katie88,

You probably won't see this, but I just wanted to thank you for your comment. It really provided me with a lot of reassurance as it seems like both pharmacy and pharmacology still have some stigma attached to them.
Original post by katie88

Wow this has really reassured me, thank you! I wonder what you’re up to 10 years later and if you’re still in pharmacology
Can you get into the pharmacology industry if you go to a university without accreditation?
Could someone explain the career paths of each of these courses and help advise me which to do:

Biomedical Sciences

Pharmacy

Pharmacology
Original post by katie88

how did u find jobs? ive just applied for pharmacology degree, just scared if i made a dumb decision. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending