The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
into industry. producing drugs
Reply 2
Most people that do pharmacology and want a job relating to that degree go into pharmaceutical sales.

This is when you go to dosctors surgeries and hospitals and tell them about your employers latest drug that does all these new great things and you're encouraging the dr to prescribe your drug over other companies becasuse it does X, Y and Z and helping to boost your companies profits. I think it sounds like alot of fun, as its so sciencey but it also adds the sales side whch makes the science relevant in a business way.

Otherwise, funnily enough most pharmacology graduates go and study medicine!
Reply 3
How much money would you typically earn by working for a pharmaceutical company
Reply 4
king_britt
Otherwise, funnily enough most pharmacology graduates go and study medicine!

Hence the answer to your question on the job prospects for pharmacology graduates is: zilch.
Reply 5
A lot of people that are at my uni have gone from a pharmacology degree to do a pharmacy degree. The other option is research etc.
Reply 6
How does Pharmacy differ to Pharmacology, just out of interest?
^ Not sure specifically as I'm just browsing forums but I always thought that Pharmacy was more about creating and dispensing drugs whereas pharmacology was the effect of drugs on the body.
Reply 8
i think pharmacy covers pharmacology extensively along with other stuff. hence why its 4 years.
Reply 9
with pharmacology you can go on to industry eg working for a big pharma company (astrazeneca, glaxo etc) where there are a variety of jobs science and business based. you can also go into academia, doing research in unis or hospitals or even into teaching. medical sales is quite a popular choice but not for those that actually want to use the practical skills they learned. finally theres clinical trials where there are lots of jobs in labs, animal houses, management, sales, and the v popular CRA jobs.
Reply 10
may i know what is pharmacology research?

let say...if i were to extract compound(s) from plants and then do antioxidant,anticancer tests on cell cultures....are those pharmacology research?

thank you
Reply 11
Yeah it relates to that sorts, like in extraction of compound the toxic and therapeutic effects of the compound is desired. I'm a pharmacology student, since i checked its prospects in my country, i start to plan for change of course lol.
Reply 12
Hey guys!
I have a quick question regarding to Pharmacology.
So Aberdeen is offering an Bachelor of Hons. in Pharmacology... I mean are there any job prospects if I make only the Bachelor of Hons. in this field?
Like searching a place in the industry here or abroad in the USA. Or is it nearly unlikely to find something without a Master degree ?
Reply 13
no one knows? really?
Reply 14
Ok, I can only give my experience, so I will...

So I al about to fnish my four year BSc in Pharmacology from Glasgow University and THERE ARE NO JOBS.

I have applied to medicine and pharmacy (along with another guy on my course), two have applied to teaching, one - dentistry and one - PhD.

It is dire, so I would suggest you go for Pharmacy instead, and even if you decide that research is for you - it is still possible (wish I had done that..)

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 15
I am in my final year in pharmacology and I loved it as a course and couldn't imagine having done anything else. Sure its tough work but I enjoyed it. I chose pharmacology over pharmacy as I didn't want to be making the same few common drugs day in, day out. With a pharmacology degree you can work in either academia or industry helping in the design of new drugs by coming up with assays or animal models to test the drugs and possibly helping in clinical trials if that is what you are interested in. I choose pharmacology over medicine as I personally would get to attached to patients and the pharmacology aspect of medicine is merely learning off drug names and doses while in the full pharmacology degree you learn about the action of drug classes in the body, how they mediate their effect and possible side effects and how drugs can be improved in the hope of making better medicines.

I am just about to finish my final year and I already have a job so I don't know what other people are on about. I did an internship last summer in a pharmaceutical company and I am either continuing with that work (computer database work of pharm data from the labs to help decide which drugs should enter into clinical trials) or I am going to transfer into being a quality project coordinator where I overlook CROs and general project management.

I think the possibilities are endless with a pharmacology degree and I think it is only people who don't research anything that thinks that you can only transfer to medicine or pharmacy.

I also know of a lot of friends who are remaining in academia and doing PHDs. The good thing about my pharm degree was that I had my own thesis where I did my own work on cancer cells and saw the effects that certain compounds had on their growth.

I hope this helps someone!
Science is dead in this country. Scientists are not respected and valued within the uk.

I pretty much agree with everything BigDirty said. Most people that do science degrees go onto do something else. There are very few jobs.

Katie88 just got lucky, that is all.
Original post by katie88
I am in my final year in pharmacology and I loved it as a course and couldn't imagine having done anything else. Sure its tough work but I enjoyed it. I chose pharmacology over pharmacy as I didn't want to be making the same few common drugs day in, day out. With a pharmacology degree you can work in either academia or industry helping in the design of new drugs by coming up with assays or animal models to test the drugs and possibly helping in clinical trials if that is what you are interested in. I choose pharmacology over medicine as I personally would get to attached to patients and the pharmacology aspect of medicine is merely learning off drug names and doses while in the full pharmacology degree you learn about the action of drug classes in the body, how they mediate their effect and possible side effects and how drugs can be improved in the hope of making better medicines.

I am just about to finish my final year and I already have a job so I don't know what other people are on about. I did an internship last summer in a pharmaceutical company and I am either continuing with that work (computer database work of pharm data from the labs to help decide which drugs should enter into clinical trials) or I am going to transfer into being a quality project coordinator where I overlook CROs and general project management.

I think the possibilities are endless with a pharmacology degree and I think it is only people who don't research anything that thinks that you can only transfer to medicine or pharmacy.

I also know of a lot of friends who are remaining in academia and doing PHDs. The good thing about my pharm degree was that I had my own thesis where I did my own work on cancer cells and saw the effects that certain compounds had on their growth.

I hope this helps someone!

What university did you go to, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 18
Sorry for the late reply but I hadn't been on the forum for a while. I went to UCD in Dublin, Ireland if that helps.
what other careers can i do with a degree in pharmacology?

Latest

Trending

Trending