The Student Room Group

tangents and differentiation c1

The tangent at point P on the curve y= (3x-5)(x+2) is parallel to the line y = 7x+1. Find the co-ordinates of point P.

I've differentiated the first equation to get 6x+1 and made this equal to 7, then solved to find x, which is 1. Now what?
Reply 1
Original post by gomc
The tangent at point P on the curve y= (3x-5)(x+2) is parallel to the line y = 7x+1. Find the co-ordinates of point P.

I've differentiated the first equation to get 6x+1 and made this equal to 7, then solved to find x, which is 1. Now what?

assuming your working are correct put x=1 into the equation of the curve to get the corresponding y coodinate
Reply 2
Original post by gomc

So you have x=1x=1, what value does your curve take when you sub x=1x=1 into it?

Your final answer will be P(1,something)P(1, \, \mathrm{ something }\, )
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
assuming your working are correct put x=1 into the equation of the curve to get the corresponding y coodinate

Beaten again. :tongue:
Original post by gomc

The gradient of the tangent to the curve at point P is equal to the gradient of the line y = 7x + 1.

You need to put the differential of the first equation equal to the gradient of the line and solve for x.
Does it make sense why you would do that?
Never mind, I can't read, apparently. Ignore me! :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
but when i plot the two graphs they dont cross at (1,-6)?? no where near
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Beaten again. :tongue:

is all this LaTeX typing ...
Reply 7
Original post by gomc
but when i plot the two graphs they dont cross at (1,-6)?? no where near

Because the line y=7x+1y = 7x + 1 is parallel to the tangent at PP, it's not the actual tangent and hence will not cross the line.

The tangent to the curve at PP is given by y+6=7(x1)    y=7x137x+1y + 6 = 7(x-1) \iff y = 7x - 13 \neq 7x+1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Because the line y=7x+1y = 7x + 1 is parallel to the tangent at PP, it's not the actual tangent and hence will not cross the line.

The tangent to the curve at PP is given by y+6=7(x1)    y=7x137x+1y + 6 = 7(x-1) \iff y = 7x - 13 \neq 7x+1.

god how did i miss that im so tired lol thanks though
Reply 9
Original post by gomc
god how did i miss that im so tired lol thanks though

Welcome, happens to the best of us!

Quick Reply

Latest