The Student Room Group

Politics degree?

I'm currently doing chemistry at uni but starting to doubt whether its actually what i want to do, i've always been interested in politics and relations etc. Does anyone know the actual chances of going on to become a politician's assistant or a similar position with the degree?
Reply 1
The chances of getting into politics are pretty good, particularly if its from a Russell Group university. Many MPs actually have Politics' degrees - Harriet Harman from York, for example.
Reply 2
Margaret Thatcher did a Chemistry degree, she did pretty well.
A lot of politics students don't want to work in politics - I certainly didn't, and I chose to move into a completely different sector after I graduated.

If you really want to work as a politician's assistant, then have a look at politics and parliamentary studies at Leeds and British politics and legislative studies at Hull, as both degrees involve a political work placement. Of course, both are very competitive, but if you get onto those courses then it's a great help in finding a graduate job because you will have experience.

Also, there's a website called (I think) w4mp which has lots of parliamentary work opportunities listed. You may also like to have a look at the Civil Service Fast Stream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending