The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get into university for chemical engineering?

Its something i really wanted to do, but im not sure if i'll get on to the course or not.
In AS I got B maths, B psychology, C chemistry, U biology
Ive dropped biology and my predicted grade is ABB
Im doing resits so i think i could get 3As
The university and their entry requirements are
Leeds A*AA
Sheffield AAA
Lancaster AAA
Manchester AAA
Bradford ABB

I know I could get 3As but will the unis accept me because of my low AS grades and low presicted grades?
Also is it worth putting my U in biology on my ucas? Chemical engineering does involve a bit of biology but not majorly and its not one of the required subjects

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
I wouldn't put the U on.
I think you would have most luck with Bradford and Lancaster really but Sheffield and Leeds might take you :smile: (I'm a first year at Sheffield for Chem eng)
However I found Manchester to be very stuck up and elitist so I wouldn't bother applying to there. Have you checked out Herriot watt? It's actually pretty good! And Newcastle is great!
Some others you might want to look at are Surrey and Loughborough?
You can get into Scottish university's on lower grades than English university's due to the difference between Scottish highers and ALevels. However you would have to do an extra year at a Scottish uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Lissy14
I wouldn't put the U on.
I think you would have most luck with Bradford and Lancaster really but Sheffield and Leeds might take you :smile: (I'm a first year at Sheffield for Chem eng)
However I found Manchester to be very stuck up and elitist so I wouldn't bother applying to there. Have you checked out Herriot watt? It's actually pretty good! And Newcastle is great!
Some others you might want to look at are Surrey and Loughborough?
You can get into Scottish university's on lower grades than English university's due to the difference between Scottish highers and ALevels. However you would have to do an extra year at a Scottish uni.

Can I ask what you got in your AS and A2 and what your predicted grades were? I'm scared I won't get into sheffield with my grades
Reply 3
Original post by Uzx
Can I ask what you got in your AS and A2 and what your predicted grades were? I'm scared I won't get into sheffield with my grades

I did bio (B) Chem (A) physics (A) and maths (A) at AS
I then dropped bio and my predicteds were A*AA (A* in maths)
But I then got ABB and they still let me in :smile:
Hi Uzx and Lissy14,

Just wanted to jump in here and say that our minimum entry requirements are BBB for Chem Eng, so if you are getting ABB we would certainly consider you. Chem Eng is our most competitive course however and I would strongly advise you to work hard at you personal statement. Make sure we know you want to do Chem Eng and let us know why we should pick you rather than someone else with similar grades :smile:.

There are lots of tips and advice online with regards to Personal Statements, but if you want to ask me anything just fire away. Also if you want to know more about Heriot-Watt just ask away.

Whatever your decisions are, good luck with your applications.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 5
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Uzx and Lissy14,

Just wanted to jump in here and say that our minimum entry requirements are BBB for Chem Eng, so if you are getting ABB we would certainly consider you. Chem Eng is our most competitive course however and I would strongly advise you to work hard at you personal statement. Make sure we know you want to do Chem Eng and let us know why we should pick you rather than someone else with similar grades :smile:.

There are lots of tips and advice online with regards to Personal Statements, but if you want to ask me anything just fire away. Also if you want to know more about Heriot-Watt just ask away.

Whatever your decisions are, good luck with your applications.

Cheers,
Keir

How frequently do you reject an applicant who exceeds the academic requirements (is on target for ABB) but has a "less good" personal statement.

And, typically, how many ChemEng applicants do you have, and how many offers do you issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
How frequently do you reject an applicant who exceeds the academic requirements (is on target for ABB) but has a "less good" personal statement.

And, typically, how many ChemEng applicants do you have, and how many offers do you issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jneiil,

If you are on track for ABB as long as you are doing the right A-Levels i.e. we like to see Maths and Chemistry then you are likely to get a conditional offer for Chem Eng here at HWU. :thumbsup:

We still take into account the Personal Statement so make sure you are letting us know that you are interested in Chemical Engineering. Also we like to hear it from your voice so make it authentic, don't let anyone else do it for you!!

Finally you were asking how many offers we give out etc. I have phoned the department hear at HWU and they told me that it differs year on year to be honest. As I said if you are on target for ABB you are likely to obtain an offer. In total last year we got about 1200 applications with about a third of them getting offers. (I don't want to bore you with all the stats but that is a rough guide anyway). Best rule of thumb is to work as hard as you can to get the grades!! :goodluck:

Hope this has helped but feel free to ask me anything else.
Cheers,
Keir
Reply 7
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Jneiil,

If you are on track for ABB as long as you are doing the right A-Levels i.e. we like to see Maths and Chemistry then you are likely to get a conditional offer for Chem Eng here at HWU. :thumbsup:

Thanks Keir. I'm just interested to understand how important the PS *really* is. I'm betting most offers are in reality based on academics not the PS. And you've pretty much confirmed that :smile:

BTW I'm a parent not an applicant :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Thanks Keir. I'm just interested to understand how important the PS *really* is. I'm betting most offers are in reality based on academics not the PS. And you've pretty much confirmed that :smile:

BTW I'm a parent not an applicant :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi jneill,

Here to help :smile:

Glad I could give you some information. I would be cautious however as if in your personal statement you refer to a different subject entirely I have see admissions tutors not making offers even when the predicted grades where higher than our minimum requirements, they may view the applicant as less interested in their course.

Always seek the best advice from the individual universities.

Anything else I can help with, give me a shout.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Uzx
Its something i really wanted to do, but im not sure if i'll get on to the course or not.
In AS I got B maths, B psychology, C chemistry, U biology
Ive dropped biology and my predicted grade is ABB
Im doing resits so i think i could get 3As
The university and their entry requirements are
Leeds A*AA
Sheffield AAA
Lancaster AAA
Manchester AAA
Bradford ABB

I know I could get 3As but will the unis accept me because of my low AS grades and low presicted grades?
Also is it worth putting my U in biology on my ucas? Chemical engineering does involve a bit of biology but not majorly and its not one of the required subjects

Thanks for any help

Hi,

Just seen your queries and wanted to offer some guidance if I can. Great that you're interested in Chemical Engineering and that you've done your research as to what Universities are looking for in terms of entry requirements.

At Bradford we look for ABB for our entry on to the MEng course, whereas for the BEng we'd be looking for BBC. So, if you apply for the MEng but don't quite meet the grades, we'd offer you the BEng. If you start on the BEng you can still progress towards the MEng whilst you're studying with us, it'll then be dependent on your progression through the BEng so you can then transfer to study the additional MEng level year.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck for getting the grades you want!

AJ
You can try, but if you cant then you can see if they do a foundation degree or year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending