The Student Room Group

Portugal's anti-euro Left banned from power

"For the first time since the creation of Europe’s monetary union, a member state has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

Well I'm back to seriously considering voting to leave again. The EU is an autocratic undemocratic mess, especially the eurozone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably going to sound stupid but how has the EU done this. Isn't this the president of portugals doing.
Reply 2
Original post by garfeeled
Probably going to sound stupid but how has the EU done this. Isn't this the president of portugals doing.

Yes it is. But it goes show the extent to which democracy is in danger of taking a back seat in interests of doing the EU's bidding.

Don't forget the recent Greek debacle in which a landslide victory was won by the no more austerity campaigners in a referendum - only to be ignored by the government anyway. I think the same has happened here. The Portuguese President is well aware that the EU (read Germany) will crush Portugal like a maggot (as they did with Greece) if the country doesn't toe the line.

So you can certainly argue that this isn't the EU's direct doing but clearly the EU isn't having a healthy effect on European democracy.
although I both agree with your euosceptic viewpoint and to the viewpoint that this kind of policy has "authoritarianism", "injustice", "corruption" etc written all over it, is it the EU that is doing this, or is it portugal itself? it said "member state". also, it's ironic that people tell us that the EU is a organisation promoting human rights when *this* happens right under their nose and nothing happens

Quick Reply