The Student Room Group

Can any RN's help me?

Hello,

I am applying to study Adult Nursing in September 2016, I have been doing some research to help me be more prepared before I start. I have read about drug calculation's and formula's to help figure them out.

Math is not my best subject so I am very much worrying about drug calculation exam's. I have started revising to brush up on my unit conversion's and long division and multiplication so hopefully I won't be too bad when I start.

I know that in University during exam's you will not be able to use a calculator and will have to figure them out in your head/pen and paper, but I was just wondering when you are actually qualified as a nurse, and you are employed would you have to do all drug calculation's without a calculator? I know that you have to know how to without, but are you allowed to carry one around to do the formula's?
Ideally you should work them out in your head first, but then do it on a calculator. By having a rough idea what the answer is means if you put it into the calculator incorrectly you'll know you've made an error. When I am on placement, everyone uses a calculator and you have a second checker for quite a while too.
I regularly use a calculator in my day to day work.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply :smile:

On your drug calculation exams at uni, are you allowed to use a calculator for part of it, or are you not allowed to use one at all?
We aren't allowed calculators and have to get 40% in the first year, 60% in the second year and 100% in the third year. Different uni's have different pass criteria but everyone has to be 100% by year 3. It sounds worse than it is though, there are only 5 questions in the final year!
Reply 5
Can you resit them if you don't pass the first time?

It's the one thing I'm worried about as I have not done it since school so i'm basically lost at the moment and really stressing out, that I won't be able to get the hang of it.

The formula's seem simple when it's broken down, but when you have to do it step by step without a calculator for one's based on a patient's weight, it seem's so long winded and i'm scared I will keep making silly mistakes and fail.
Reply 6
Original post by Rebekah B
Can you resit them if you don't pass the first time?

It's the one thing I'm worried about as I have not done it since school so i'm basically lost at the moment and really stressing out, that I won't be able to get the hang of it.

The formula's seem simple when it's broken down, but when you have to do it step by step without a calculator for one's based on a patient's weight, it seem's so long winded and i'm scared I will keep making silly mistakes and fail.

You haven't even applied yet, I really wouldn't worry about passing end of year drug calc exams.

Your uni will help you to practice the calculations and prepare you for the exams, there is also a large amount of online material that you can use to supplement the uni materials.
Original post by amyc123
You haven't even applied yet, I really wouldn't worry about passing end of year drug calc exams.

Your uni will help you to practice the calculations and prepare you for the exams, there is also a large amount of online material that you can use to supplement the uni materials.

Absolutely!
Yes you can retake them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending