The Student Room Group

ESA Stopped without warning?

Hi guys,

Was/Am on ESA income related, Support Group AND DLA Middle care component.

Recieved a letter today from my council advising me that my housing benefit was suspended coz of my ESA claim had been terminated.

I started full time college in Aug; and took out a student loan. I was advised by the student loan company that they had informed the DWP that there was a change in my circumstances.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago I was being overpaid ESA. I contacted them, informed them again that I was at college, full time and had taken a student loan out. I went to my local jobcentre and provided relevant details, including my fees; my loan payment schedule etc.

I have heard nothing from the DWP, I have not been advised of a fraud investigation, asked to attend a medical. So what the hell is going on?

Surely if they have terminated my ESA on the basis Im fit for work.....then my DLA would be terminated as well?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi

I think you should ring and ask. If they terminated it because they believe that you're fit for work they should tell you surely. It may not affect your DLA in the same way as that is not about whether you can work but about how your disability affects you.

If you are on income based, could your income now be too high? Have you claimed for special support grant (which isn't included in income for benefits) instead of maintenance grant?

The only way of finding this out is ringing DWP.
Reply 2
Original post by Jenx301
Hi

I think you should ring and ask. If they terminated it because they believe that you're fit for work they should tell you surely. It may not affect your DLA in the same way as that is not about whether you can work but about how your disability affects you.

If you are on income based, could your income now be too high? Have you claimed for special support grant (which isn't included in income for benefits) instead of maintenance grant?

The only way of finding this out is ringing DWP.

I am in Scotland so SSG and maintenance grant is not applicable.

Im just thinking all sorts; that theyve opened a fraud case or something :frown:

Ive done everything right, been transparent, acted in good faith....but given their reputations for arbitrary sanctioning.....combined with a severe anxiety disorder; I am beside myself with stress
Is it possible that your student loan (your special support grant is ignored in full and so are your tuition fees) is more than your ESA? Did you recently attend an assessment / fill in a form for ESA?

In regards to fraud - (um, been there and done that) they will write to you. They will invite you in for interview. They will only stop your benefits if you don't turn up, do as they say (in my case it was just turn up and give them bank statements) or are found after said interview to be fiddling the system.

I'm going to move this one to the Disabled Students Forum. I think you're going to get more answers there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
Is it possible that your student loan (your special support grant is ignored in full and so are your tuition fees) is more than your ESA? Did you recently attend an assessment / fill in a form for ESA?

In regards to fraud - (um, been there and done that) they will write to you. They will invite you in for interview. They will only stop your benefits if you don't turn up, do as they say (in my case it was just turn up and give them bank statements) or are found after said interview to be fiddling the system.

I'm going to move this one to the Disabled Students Forum. I think you're going to get more answers there.

Did you recently attend an assessment / fill in a form for ESA?

No. I have not an assessment, a medical or any other contact with the ESA; nor have I had any correspondance from them, no phone calls, emails, letters or texts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
It is most probably because you are in full time education and have a loan. they deem that that is suitable to cover your living costs and so on. obviously depends on your cirumstances
Original post by apronedsamurai
Did you recently attend an assessment / fill in a form for ESA?

No. I have not an assessment, a medical or any other contact with the ESA; nor have I had any correspondance from them, no phone calls, emails, letters or texts.

Contact them (if you find this difficult, ask someone else to contact them for you - but you will need to be handed the phone to give permission for someone to speak on your behalf) and see what they say. If you disagree with their reasons, contact an organisation with knowledge about the benefits syetm, such as the Citizens Advice Bureau in your area. If you need any more info, please feel free to ask me as whilst I'm not an expert on it, I've had a lot of experience with the benefits system, including getting a sanction imposed against me overturned and preventing another sanction (neither of which were fair ones).
Reply 7
I don't understand how they would know. They'd need you to come in and photocopy ur student finance letter and bank statement to know.
Have you not attended an interview accidentally?
Reply 8
Original post by MJlover
I don't understand how they would know. They'd need you to come in and photocopy ur student finance letter and bank statement to know.
Have you not attended an interview accidentally?

I called them, my claim is still active, it is just suspended, until they do a recalculation of the income and make necessary adjustments, disregards and deductions.

Which is fair enough.
Reply 9
I called them, my claim is still active, it is just suspended, until they do a recalculation of the income and make necessary adjustments, disregards and deductions.

Which is fair enough.

i hope it goes well for u then
Let us know how you get on. I don't think a full time student can usually get housing benefit and esa but I'm not sure about dla/pip.
No they cannot. But because I am in receipt of DLA, and still recieving DLA, it means that even if my ESA is/was terminated; I can STILL get housing benefit.
No they cannot. But because I am in receipt of DLA, and still recieving DLA, it means that even if my ESA is/was terminated; I can STILL get housing benefit.

Providing you're on a low income, yes.
Whch given that I am on benefits and a student loan....I took as a given.
You may get Housing Benefit if:

you’re on a low income or claiming benefits

Quick Reply

Latest