The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ThatsLife
Im finally starting my A2 french long piece after putting it off for as long as possible. I was just wondering if anybody had any general advice before i (unwillingly) take the plunge.

I need to do REALLY WELL on this (as i cant see the upcoming exams going as brilliantly as they need to go for my uni requirements)so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(P.S. My essay is on affirmative action in France if that makes any difference)

Erm, ready, get set...GO!:p:
Reply 2
My advice would be to do the plan in english (cant help with what to put in Im afraid since I havent the foggiest). Examiners look really good but make sure that they arent all from the Internet (if you cant find any in books, just fake a quote that will support what you are arguing and say its from a really obscure book...they wont bother to check it out). Dont write too much, make two or three really good points rather than loads of crappy ones. Keep the french simple, since there are more marks for content (and how can you get a good content mark if they cant understand the over the top french?). Other than that get someone to lock you away until its finished else you will be like me and start it, get bored and leave it for 3 months. All the best!!
The first few paragraphs are the hardest......after that, you'll probably begin to see where your argument is going. Make sure you evaluate everything and don't leave value judgements without a quote. It makes sense to work only from a few sources as you'll probably sound more coherent, but don't be tempted to use lots of flowery french as that will make examiners suspicious. If possible, get your teacher to look over it loads if you're allowed to, as they will probably be able to guide you in the right direction. Make sure you answer your question and reverse engineering your plan is the easiest way to make the examiner think that you actually knew what you were talking about. Francoscopie is a really useful book for all sorts of stuff about France so try checking that out if your school has it....not sure if it will help you.

For some reason, I chose to do about the no vote to the european constitution. Thought it would be really boring, but in the end I was able to make quite a coherent argument......the hardest part is just starting. Lock yourself in your room and force yourself to start it.
Reply 4
wesetters
Affirmative action in France ? You know that it's illegal under article one of the constitution, right ?

My essay is gonna be on whether la discrimination positive should be developped in France. I wasnt aware that its illegal and according to wikipedia (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_positive#En_France) la discrimination postive is a policy that has been followed for many years in France.

You've got me scared now that the whole concept of my essay is wrong. in your opinion, is it? i spent ages looking for something i might me slightly interested in.

Thanks
As with any essay you'd write for English lit/history/whatever, do a plan so you know what you want to cover. Structure it well with an introduction, a few paragraphs (one per main point) for the main body and a conclusion. Questions including things like 'jusqu'a quel point?' are good because they keep your argument focused. Do some research using books, but I guess the Internet would be OK if you can find a decent site and don't over use it. I don't know about A-level, but at uni the use of Wikipedia in essays is highly frowned upon, so you might want to start weaning yourself off it now. Keep the French simple so you're less likely to make mistakes and you can concentrate at least equally on your argument. Back up everything you say with evidence and relate everything back to the title. Don't exceed the word limit.

Latest

Trending

Trending