The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Computer Science Interview Day 31st October

I have been invited for an interview day for computer science at York. I was wondering if anyone who has gone through this or something similar could give me any advice on what to expect I.e example technical questions; anything I should prepare for, that sort of thing?
I have also been invited to this day for Comp Sci, I've heard it's more of an applicant day than an interview, probably less formal and more about having a look around
University of York
York
As someone who supervised the interview days (but never had to do one as I live abroad), it's basically a full day of talks and tours with a 15-20 minute interview at some point during the day. You'll have talks in the morning, free lunch, and then tours and your interview in the afternoon. The interview is mostly maths and problem solving questions - if you've mentioned any previous CS experience or knowledge (i.e. computing A-level, knowledge of programming languages) they may ask you more than one technical question (don't quote me on that), but otherwise there's usually just one technical question. I think they say not to worry if you can't answer all the questions, they really just want to see how you think. I also think there's a section where they ask you about yourself & why you want to do CS, that kind of thing.
Original post by JosephLockyer
I have been invited for an interview day for computer science at York. I was wondering if anyone who has gone through this or something similar could give me any advice on what to expect I.e example technical questions; anything I should prepare for, that sort of thing?

Original post by project_legacy
I have also been invited to this day for Comp Sci, I've heard it's more of an applicant day than an interview, probably less formal and more about having a look around

Hi there,

Just to confirm what @bloovanmeer said in their post - the day starts at 11:00 and finishes at around 15:30 and it's a great opportunity to talk to our academic staff, and meet current students and watch demonstrations of their work.

Applicants can also take a tour of the Heslington East campus and view college accommodation: some of our first years will be showcasing their flats.

The day is quite informal, and there is no real need to dress in suits or similar (unless, of course, you want to!) - jeans are fine. It is more important that you feel comfortable.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please con't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith
Undergraduate Admissions Administrator
Department of Computer Science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending