The Student Room Group

South Africa gap year

What would it be like to do a couple of months in south africa on my own? are there good places to visit and see? what sort of things can you do? whats the nightlife like? how dangerous is it?
Hi,

I am going to South Africa on my gap year in 2016, however I have family there so I will stay with them. I hope to work before I go then do some work experience in primary schools over there. I do think its dangerous to go on your own, maybe sort something out so you can stay with families because they will know where you should and shouldn't go, hope it all works out :smile: What were you planning on doing?
I went to South Africa for a month and it was amazing, I did a tour with Oasis Overland and then stayed with a friend in Jo'burg. Spend most time in Cape Town - this city is amazing and less dangerous than other places. SA does have an issue with crime but as long as you are careful (e.g. not wandering off into random places by yourself at night) and listen to locals you will be fine. Be sure to visit the Kruger and Elephant Addo National Park.

You might want to do a tour or check out the Baz Bus which is like a hop on hop off bus route - tons of travellers do this and its easy to meet other people. There are also so many South Africa gap year ideas but I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you like animals you might want to look at volunteer programs in South Africa there are tons of options. Also most of the hostels in SA are really social so you shouldn't have a problem meeting more people.

Let me know if you need any specific help, it is an incredible country!!
I spent three months in South Africa for my gap year, but I spent it in the bush far away from people and was tracking dangerous carnivores. According to the rangers I was working with this was FAR safer that going around in the cities.

Quick Reply

Latest