The Student Room Group

Hypocrisy of westerners on their party lifestyle

They protest against the restriction of freedoms, pro-personal choice and glamourise over-indulgence amongst students, the elite, celebs yet when the homeless, chavs and those on benefits do the same, then the abuse starts to fly ('oh they spend it all on booze/drugs' etc)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't get this immature approach.

People with stable incomes earn the money for themselves and are obviously free to spend it whatever way they like.

People on benefits receive money mostly for living expenses - they do not work for it. They are given the money from the government (IE taxation) for the purpose of being able to feed and protect themselves.

If someone on benefits occasionally drinks and has fun that's perfectly OK imo. However, if they spend all their money on alcohol and parties then surely there is something wrong considering the purpose of the benefits scheme.
Original post by Saftvare Jarb
They protest against the restriction of freedoms, pro-personal choice and glamourise over-indulgence amongst students, the elite, celebs yet when the homeless, chavs and those on benefits do the same, then the abuse starts to fly ('oh they spend it all on booze/drugs' etc)

.... Because those people spend their own salary on those things. Whereas those on benefits spend working people's tax on alcohol and drugs instead of food and then complain that they don't have money to eat.
Girls just wanna have fun : (
Original post by *Stefan*
I don't get this immature approach.

People with stable incomes earn the money for themselves and are obviously free to spend it whatever way they like.

People on benefits receive money mostly for living expenses - they do not work for it. They are given the money from the government (IE taxation) for the purpose of being able to feed and protect themselves.

If someone on benefits occasionally drinks and has fun that's perfectly OK imo. However, if they spend all their money on alcohol and parties then surely there is something wrong considering the purpose of the benefits scheme.

The elite should be held to a higher moral standard. Anyone in The City found out for doing coke/whores should face severe (public) punishments for it. The lower classes if anything should be given some leeway, after all our expectations of their entire value system/education are lower.
Reply 5
The elite should be held to a higher moral standard. Anyone in The City found out for doing coke/whores should face severe (public) punishments for it. The lower classes if anything should be given some leeway, after all our expectations of their entire value system/education are lower.

What about... no?

So we're going to punish people for being successful now? Don't forget that it's because of these successful people that people on benefits get any benefits at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I don't want my hard earned taxes and charitable donations to be squandered by people sponging off the system designed to help them become self sufficient and useful members of society, so that they can help others less fortunate in turn.

Why should anyone face severe punishments for doing coke or paying prostitutes?
Original post by driftawaay
.... Because those people spend their own salary on those things. Whereas those on benefits spend working people's tax on alcohol and drugs instead of food and then complain that they don't have money to eat.

Yeah but their just lads having a good time. OK its a good time at others expense but yer know live and let live, chill, this isn't Saudi
Yeah but their just lads having a good time. OK its a good time at others expense but yer know live and let live, chill, this isn't Saudi

OK I hope this is a troll
Original post by PetitBourgeois
Why should anyone face severe punishments for doing coke or paying prostitutes?

Because they should be using their talents for the good of the nation through purer activities (volunteering etc). Both of those latter habits severely damage the 3rd world. Alcohol culture is killing wider society and these (supposed) elite should set the standard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
What about... no?

So we're going to punish people for being successful now? Don't forget that it's because of these successful people that people on benefits get any benefits at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, they're lucky they aint getting looted regularly if anything
Don't feed the troll.
Because they should be using their talents for the good of the nation through purer activities (volunteering etc). Both of those latter habits severely damage the 3rd world.

I don't understand. One can use her talents for the good of "the nation" (a notion btw which is ludicrous to me but I accept it for argument's sake) and still do coke and/or pay prostitutes. One does not preclude the other.
If you don't think alcohol and partying is a bad thing, then why chastise people on benefits for practicing that lifestyle. Whats truly wrong then with drinking and partying if you're not actually morally against it.
Original post by PetitBourgeois
I don't understand. One can use her talents for the good of "the nation" (a notion btw which is ludicrous to me but I accept it for argument's sake) and still do coke and/or pay prostitutes. One does not preclude the other.

Fuelling the demand for prostitution leads to a whole raft of social problems cos of all the associated ills that come with it like drugs/other organised crime. As I said the cocaine trade is severely damaging societies in Latin America quite apart from the fact that City psychopaths are bad enough as it stone sober let alone on a drug which is notorious for making the individuals on that particular trip arrogant and reckless. But lets not forget these ***** are basically only glorified gamblers half of them...
In my religion, you're not supposed to remind people of your generosity and boss people about in what they should do with your charity. Wealth is a trust given to you by God, its not even yours in the first place. Like taxes in the UK, in Islam you don't have a choice but to give away your income to charity/alms giving. It's the law.

Plus its not good to get too emotionally attached to money.

Well, I think the point is that people on benefits are using someone else's money.

Also, students are regularly critixised for drinking habits.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, I think the point is that people on benefits are using someone else's money.

Also, students are regularly critixised for drinking habits.

They are, but the City/banking gambled/****ed around with taxpayers money and then some and then had the cheek to ask for more for the bailouts. Surely the squeeze we now face and all the current problems precipitate from all that cocking about 2005-8?
Tbf OP has a point if you consider the amount of students on maintenance grants blowing it on shopping sprees and messy nights out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending