The Student Room Group

Really need help- train worry

:confused::confused::confused:

Ive always struggled with public transport.. Fear of getting something wrong, lost etc etc... You get it!
Basically i need to get a train from huddersfield to cheshire (adlington train station)
I know i need to get to manchester picadilly first which i am fine with but then i need to get to adlington train station. Has anyone done this train journey before? What train will get me there? And also coming bac to manchester piccadilly from Adlington?!
If i get a return to chester from huddersfield will my tickets work on all the trains i need? Ive never had to change trains before.

So sorry if this sounds really pathetic, but any information will surely help me so thankyou everyone:smile:
Original post by Amylou2

Ive always struggled with public transport.. Fear of getting something wrong, lost etc etc... You get it!
Basically i need to get a train from huddersfield to cheshire (adlington train station)
I know i need to get to manchester picadilly first which i am fine with but then i need to get to adlington train station. Has anyone done this train journey before? What train will get me there? And also coming bac to manchester piccadilly from Adlington?!
If i get a return to chester from huddersfield will my tickets work on all the trains i need? Ive never had to change trains before.

So sorry if this sounds really pathetic, but any information will surely help me so thankyou everyone:smile:

Hi!!!,

First of all don't worry. I know what the anxiety is like, but the best advice i can give is, don't run away from it, run towards it. Knock it down you can do it, once you do it once you'll be a pro in no time!!!

Sorry cant help with directions tho, im from Glasgow.:smile:

good luck though
Reply 2
Original post by Amylou2

If you get the return ticket they should give you a ticket for each leg of the journey I believe.
Original post by Amylou2

I m not massively familiar with that route but i have done many changes of trains in my time.
Do you have a smartphone? The national rail app should have the platforms you need constantly updated on it, then if you look up the station maps for the two stations, you should be able to see which platforms you need to get to and from.

If the return you get has no restrictions on it (so its called an open day return then you can use it on all trains, be careful with off peak tickets as its depends but you cant use them on all of the trains.
Reply 4
Original post by flyingpanda786
Hi!!!,

First of all don't worry. I know what the anxiety is like, but the best advice i can give is, don't run away from it, run towards it. Knock it down you can do it, once you do it once you'll be a pro in no time!!!

Sorry cant help with directions tho, im from Glasgow.:smile:

good luck though

Thankyou so much!! Yeah i realy need to get out of my comfort zone, but everyone can ask for help along the way cant they haha thankyou for the support :-)
I'm well placed to answer this, caught that train many a time :smile:

Most trains from Huddersfield call at Manchester Piccadilly, as you say you have no problem with this leg of the journey. When you arrive into Piccadilly, you need the Stoke-on-Trent service, usually from platform 4 (and if on a weekday, leaves at 46 minutes past each hour). Adlington is the fifth stop on that line (Stockport, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poynton, Adlington).

You just need to ask for a Huddersfield - Adlington (Cheshire) return.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I m not massively familiar with that route but i have done many changes of trains in my time.
Do you have a smartphone? The national rail app should have the platforms you need constantly updated on it, then if you look up the station maps for the two stations, you should be able to see which platforms you need to get to and from.

If the return you get has no restrictions on it (so its called an open day return then you can use it on all trains, be careful with off peak tickets as its depends but you cant use them on all of the trains.

Thankyou so much! Yeah i do have the app. It says its unable to show the route from hudds to adlington due to industry data.. Whatever that means! Im fine with getting to manchester though its just once im there. Ive looked at the manchester to adlington journey instead and it says 'stoke on trent' with adlington being the 5th stop.
I have the information but you know when you dont trust its that easy haha.

Thankyou for the ticket info i think open day return will be a good option :-) sorry for rambling also! Xxx
Reply 7
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'm well placed to answer this, caught that train many a time :smile:

Most trains from Huddersfield call at Manchester Piccadilly, as you say you have no problem with this leg of the journey. When you arrive into Piccadilly, you need the Stoke-on-Trent service, usually from platform 4 (and if on a weekday, leaves at 46 minutes past each hour). Adlington is the fifth stop on that line (Stockport, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poynton, Adlington).

You just need to ask for a Huddersfield - Adlington (Cheshire) return.

THANKYOU!!! Thankyou so much!
And coming back from adlington to manchester piccadilly have you done that journey? 😂 thankyou so much for all that!
Not being from that area, I can't help you on that part. However, there are staff around who will assist you and tell where you need to catch your train.
Reply 9
Thankyou :-) yeah I will ask staff if I really need to- I just had visions of me running like a mad woman trying to get
The next train! Think I've watched too many films haha
Original post by Amylou2
THANKYOU!!! Thankyou so much!
And coming back from adlington to manchester piccadilly have you done that journey? 😂 thankyou so much for all that!

Coming back is easier, as every train going north from Adlington goes to Piccadilly (on a weekday, 28 minutes past each hour).

Piccadilly to Huddersfield should be simple as well, there are four trains an hour, the quickest one for you will be the Scarborough service (platform 13, 11 minutes past each hour), though if you miss it there are plenty of others.
Reply 11
Sorry I never even knew you replied! Thankyou so much for all your help. I didn't realise Adlington had such a small station! Just two platforms. I think there's a train that says Manchester Piccadilly on it so hopefully I should be fine! 😂

Quick Reply

Latest