The Student Room Group

Raf oasc

Scroll to see replies

Hi, this is a little off task, but I have just applied to go in the R.A.F and am preparing for my selection interview and I am struggling to find posts about RAF interviews that were posted recently. I am struggling on the question 'what would be your road map to peace?'
I was wondering if any of you could help me or of anybody else that could. I am new to this student room site, so sorry for the intrusion.
Thanks again.
Original post by Drewski
Hearing differently from members is basing it on anecdotal evidence which isn't always best. You'll always get people who do things differently to the norm, look at the professional aviator spine in the RAF - yes it's possible, but it's not the normal/average/typical route.

What is it really like? Well that depends on too many vague factors we can't decide. Does your desk officer like you? Do you pass everything first time? Do you opt for desk tours to hobknob with senior officers? We can, and have, described what it's typically like, which is by far a more realistic idea.

And again, the difference in officers, it's a vague question. I'm sure you already know that army officers join as officers without a branch, while RAF (and RN) officers join for a particular branch. The difference then in training can be broken down to that army has need for more generic skills, while the RAF allows it's officers to develop theirs during phase 2 training - an officer out of Sandhurst is ready to go, an officer out of Cranwell isn't.

So a Flying officer? Unlikely to do much in the way of direct man-management, especially if a pilot. They might lead teams but they'll be small, under 10, and with an SNCO to help them and under the fairly close supervision of a more experienced officer. Certainly that was true in my case and my branch.
Reply 21
Original post by JD1lla
Visited a few bases and an SVA. Lots of different opinions/and sometimes conflicting advice

JD mate, I totally get where you're at. I'm a first hand provider of historical information about the RAF in particular (and current 2nd hand information from serving pals). There is a lot of information on the stickys and on legacy threads relating to all aspects of the military (particularly RAF for some reason), but I appreciate that you may have a specific question (s) the answers to which may or may not be buried deep within the archives. I've never known the pace of change to be so rapid, and what was current 2 months ago may well be outdated now.

Absolutely the right thing to do is to visit the bases and speak to the current operators first hand - although they do their best, I'm not convinced AFCO staff are completely on top of every single trade, including career paths. If they are, then they're patently failing a lot of people on here.

However, as you may have discovered, even serving personnel will have different views based on their own experiences and prejudices. All you can really do is talk to a good cross section of people (ranks and trades) and make your own judgement call. By all means use this forum and I'll happily take questions on PM, but TSR is a scatter gun approach and you may strike lucky with the person who knows and can answer your specific query, but more likely not.

Hope that helps a bit. BTW I know zilch about AAC career paths - maybe you should PM Mr/Mrs/Ms Army Jobs if he / she is still around. I knew a bit about the AAC converting to Apache in about 2001 and I've met a few AAC operatives, and tried to understand their world, but in the end it was TFD and I gave in and had another beer.

Regards

Ikky
Reply 22
Original post by Grace2105
Hi, this is a little off task, but I have just applied to go in the R.A.F and am preparing for my selection interview and I am struggling to find posts about RAF interviews that were posted recently. I am struggling on the question 'what would be your road map to peace?'
I was wondering if any of you could help me or of anybody else that could. I am new to this student room site, so sorry for the intrusion.
Thanks again.

Hi Grace, welcome to the forum and first of all, best of luck with your application. What are you applying for?

You ask specifically about the selection interview and, if I'm reading it right, looking for a model answer to a specific question. If you want to know about the format of the OASC interview, then fire away, many people on here can give you the up to date gen - my first OASC interview was 1976 and the last in 2002 (while serving!), but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much.

If you actually do want model answers, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. The whole point is that they want to see a. what YOU know about an increasingly complex world (World and UK) and b. what YOUR opinions are on a topic that they'll choose.

So you have to have a very good knowledge of current affairs and be able to articulate your thoughts about them. That doesn't mean they expect you to know everything about everything, but you would struggle badly if you hadn't spent a good 6 months immersed in the current news. Being of a certain age, I have a solid understanding of world news, but I have to keep it topped up all the time, or it would be quickly out of date.

When I did OASC in 76, the Cold War was at at its height, and the world was pretty much black and white. Not so now, it's incredibly complex and nuanced. The OASC boarding officers may pose tricky questions as you've indicated, but there are no right or wrong answers, if there were do you not think someone, somewhere would have made it happen. All you can do, is understand who the players are in a geo-political setting, understand their aims and try to work out how they can achieve them. I assume you're talking about the Middle East; I thought I understood it about 15 years ago when I was running a pre OASC workshop for my station, but events have proved me, the USA, the UK , Russia and all other regional states, wrong.

So just get into your current affairs, plan what topics you want to talk about, and brainstorm your ideas with family and friends. The TSR community are also friends, so if you want to bounce ideas off anyone here, feel free.

It's not easy, but the best things aren't. Work hard at it, and you'll succeed, trust me. I did, and I ain't no rocket scientist.

Regards

Ikky
Thankyou for your reply. My interview is on Wednesday of this week and I am applying to be an I.C.T Technician. I have created a model interview myself of possible questions that could be asked. And that particular one about the road map to peace is one question where I don't know where to start! Do you know whether you need to np loads about the history or just key points? And do you have to explain why the overseas bases are located where they are? I struggle with interviews as I am not very confident and I'm always frightened that I might say something completely wrong. I want to get in so much. It's a real ambition. I am only 17 but it's such an exciting opportunity and certainly challenging!
Thanks,
Kind regards
Grace
Original post by Ikaruss
Hi Grace, welcome to the forum and first of all, best of luck with your application. What are you applying for?

You ask specifically about the selection interview and, if I'm reading it right, looking for a model answer to a specific question. If you want to know about the format of the OASC interview, then fire away, many people on here can give you the up to date gen - my first OASC interview was 1976 and the last in 2002 (while serving!), but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much.

If you actually do want model answers, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. The whole point is that they want to see a. what YOU know about an increasingly complex world (World and UK) and b. what YOUR opinions are on a topic that they'll choose.

So you have to have a very good knowledge of current affairs and be able to articulate your thoughts about them. That doesn't mean they expect you to know everything about everything, but you would struggle badly if you hadn't spent a good 6 months immersed in the current news. Being of a certain age, I have a solid understanding of world news, but I have to keep it topped up all the time, or it would be quickly out of date.

When I did OASC in 76, the Cold War was at at its height, and the world was pretty much black and white. Not so now, it's incredibly complex and nuanced. The OASC boarding officers may pose tricky questions as you've indicated, but there are no right or wrong answers, if there were do you not think someone, somewhere would have made it happen. All you can do, is understand who the players are in a geo-political setting, understand their aims and try to work out how they can achieve them. I assume you're talking about the Middle East; I thought I understood it about 15 years ago when I was running a pre OASC workshop for my station, but events have proved me, the USA, the UK , Russia and all other regional states, wrong.

So just get into your current affairs, plan what topics you want to talk about, and brainstorm your ideas with family and friends. The TSR community are also friends, so if you want to bounce ideas off anyone here, feel free.

It's not easy, but the best things aren't. Work hard at it, and you'll succeed, trust me. I did, and I ain't no rocket scientist.

Regards

Ikky
Reply 24
Thankyou for your reply. My interview is on Wednesday of this week and I am applying to be an I.C.T Technician. I have created a model interview myself of possible questions that could be asked. And that particular one about the road map to peace is one question where I don't know where to start! Do you know whether you need to np loads about the history or just key points? And do you have to explain why the overseas bases are located where they are? I struggle with interviews as I am not very confident and I'm always frightened that I might say something completely wrong. I want to get in so much. It's a real ambition. I am only 17 but it's such an exciting opportunity and certainly challenging!
Thanks,
Kind regards
Grace

I had my first interview a few weeks ago and I was never asked about the road map to peace, also I found that the interview wasn't as frightening as I first presumed, the officer interviewing me seemed to try relax me as much as possible. Any other questions on the first interview etc... Feel free to ask and I will try to help to the best of my knowledge
That's quite reassuring then. Thankyou for that.
Were you asked about the history of the R.A.F? Did you need to know a lot? Were you just asked what over seas stations they have or did you have to go in to further detail about them? Also, were there any complicated questions? :L
I am studying hard for it, i just feel as though i need to check up on a couple of things or spot anything that i may have missed!
Thankyou!!
Kind regards,
Grace
Original post by BCS1997
I had my first interview a few weeks ago and I was never asked about the road map to peace, also I found that the interview wasn't as frightening as I first presumed, the officer interviewing me seemed to try relax me as much as possible. Any other questions on the first interview etc... Feel free to ask and I will try to help to the best of my knowledge
Reply 26
That's quite reassuring then. Thankyou for that.
Were you asked about the history of the R.A.F? Did you need to know a lot? Were you just asked what over seas stations they have or did you have to go in to further detail about them? Also, were there any complicated questions? :L
I am studying hard for it, i just feel as though i need to check up on a couple of things or spot anything that i may have missed!
Thankyou!!
Kind regards,
Grace

The first part of the interview is just about you, so there's not much research you can do into this. Just have a think about times where you've shown leadership and activities you've taken part in.

The second part is where you need to do the research, what's involved in your training?, where is it? What current operations? Etc...
As for the history of the RAF I wasn't asked any specific questions on it, but this doesn't mean it 100% won't be asked for you, perhaps just know when it started and basic information, but I wouldn't concentrate on this too much, they tend to stay current.

Make sure you have 5 current UK affairs and 5 current world affairs, what I was made to do was list my 5 then the officer picked 1 and we then discussed this, he didn't ask complicated questions about it, but he was looking for me to have a clear opinion on the matter (for example what would you do?). I personally couldn't name 5 UK affairs, but still passed my interview (wouldn't recommend this, just know 5!!).

Again on the overseas stations, I wasn't asked to go into detail about them, but again this doesn't mean your interview won't include this. Perhaps just know the main operating bases and the main reason for having them, I.e RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus due to being close to current operations etc...

You should be asked about NATO, what is it? When did it start? Who's in it? What's the link between NATO and the Soviet Union? Operations?

If there's something you really don't know just say sorry I'm not too sure etc... Don't try bluff your way through it, the interviewer may push you until this point. show confidence on what you say and how you present yourself.

I'm applying for pilot and so was asked a lot of questions on aircrafts, where they're stationed? Different roles of them?, but I'm not too sure about what they will ask you with your field.

Don't panic, it's not as bad as you think and best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest