The Student Room Group

Military Bursaries to help with Uni

Hi,

I just want to know more about the additional bursaries / scholarships in applying to uni. I'm looking into ways of getting additional finance.

I am particularly interested in the military schemes on offer, but don't want to be commited to service just yet - training and the experience they offer is what interests me. Do the MoD offer programmes without the commitment of a full-term?

For reference, I am applying to study Computer Science.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Have a look at the UOTC. No-one is going to give you free money without getting something in return.
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
Have a look at the UOTC. No-one is going to give you free money without getting something in return.

I think I've found what I was looking for - the DESG Student Sponsorship Scheme / DTUS.

I'm not expecting free money. I just don't want to be on the battlefield. MoD civil service sounds great. These placements look extremely competitive - know anything about them?
Well that's a very different scheme to what you were asking about originally, and you're still committed to a return of service after graduation. And the degree subjects eligible are limited.

I was lucky enough to get a Sixth Form Scholarship then a University Cadetship so I know just how competitive these schemes are.

Maybe have a look at QinetiQ, DSTL and GCHQ as you're applying for computer science. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by TrojanH
I think I've found what I was looking for - the DESG Student Sponsorship Scheme / DTUS.

I'm not expecting free money. I just don't want to be on the battlefield. MoD civil service sounds great. These placements look extremely competitive - know anything about them?

Also worth bearing in mind that you can't apply for this unless you're already at uni and being predicated a 2:1. You have to get into uni first and then see if you can get it, so you can't base any of your uni or post-uni plans on getting it.

Also, the nearest you'll get to computer science is systems engineering (you can only get it for three degree subjects), which isn't the same thing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/258921/20131114_Copy_sponsorship_fact_sheet.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Also worth bearing in mind that you can't apply for this unless you're already at uni and being predicated a 2:1. You have to get into uni first and then see if you can get it, so you can't base any of your uni or post-uni plans on getting it.

Also, the nearest you'll get to computer science is systems engineering (you can only get it for three degree subjects), which isn't the same thing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/258921/20131114_Copy_sponsorship_fact_sheet.pdf

That's incorrect, or outdated.

Take a look at the 2015 entry:

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=b3duZXI9NTA3MDAwMCZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE0NjkzOTgmcGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnBhZ2VjbGFzcz1Kb2JzJmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nxc2VhcmNoJnNlYXJjaF9zbGljZV9jdXJyZW50PTEmb3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImdXNlcnNlYXJjaGNvbnRleHQ9MTAyNTc5ODgmcmVxc2lnPTE0NDQ5Mjk0MjMtNmExM2IzYzIxODIyOGEzMjUyZTJiNmRkNDZiMzE2YjI5YjFkMDYxZQ%3D%3D

And

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/desg-graduate-scheme
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
Well that's a very different scheme to what you were asking about originally, and you're still committed to a return of service after graduation. And the degree subjects eligible are limited.

I was lucky enough to get a Sixth Form Scholarship then a University Cadetship so I know just how competitive these schemes are.

Maybe have a look at QinetiQ, DSTL and GCHQ as you're applying for computer science. Good luck.

Do you know of any other Undergraduate sponsorship schemes?

I can only find GCHQ and the entry is extremely tough - you have to be a finalist at a national challenge.

Thanks anyway though.
Reply 8

If you check the summary on the left of that web page, it specifies a 36 month minimum expected tour of duty after graduating. The OP is looking for military sponsorship which does not include any obligation to serve.

If you look at the Graduate Scheme Fact Sheet linked from the page above, it still shows that eligibility includes:
"Have obtained, or expect to obtain a minimum 2:1 honours degree in one of the disciplines
below."
You need to have either already graduated with a 2:1 or First, or be predicted a 2:1 or First. It's a graduate scheme and will only help with undergrad study if you're already an undergrad with a good academic track record. It isn't a scheme which provides help with undergrad study end-to-end, which is what the OP is looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending