The Student Room Group

a453 ocr computing - Maths Quiz

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Federerr
Have you finished your GCSE's? Or just finished the controlled assessment?

I've done the GCSE. Ended up with an A* and now following through with Computer Science A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 42/45 in my A453, however in A452 I got 37/45 so that totals up to 79/90.

I want to get A*, but the grade boundaries are 81/90 for an A* (both controlled assesments)

Do you think I should spend extra time fixing my A452 to get the extra marks or just to do more theory revision to get the A*? What's more practical as our exams are only 4 months away! Please give some advice :smile:

NOTE: Getting the extra 2 marks in A452 is going to be really difficult and a lot is needed to be added ;(
Reply 62

I want to get A*, but the grade boundaries are 81/90 for an A* (both controlled assesments)

Do you think I should spend extra time fixing my A452 to get the extra marks or just to do more theory revision to get the A*? What's more practical as our exams are only 4 months away! Please give some advice :smile:

NOTE: Getting the extra 2 marks in A452 is going to be really difficult and a lot is needed to be added ;(

study for the exam I got a high A in my mock without studying because I read a lot about computing and technology in my spare time so I'm sure its really easy to get an A* with studying
Original post by Jrp051
study for the exam I got a high A in my mock without studying because I read a lot about computing and technology in my spare time so I'm sure its really easy to get an A* with studying

Isn't coursework 60%? So if I overall achieve an A with both coursework combined won't it be harder for me to get an A* overall? I'm going to need a high A* in the exam..

I'm not sure whether to add and develop A452 to get the 2 marks to have overall A* in both controlled assessments or just to spend the time to revise..

How big would the difference be?
Reply 64

If your work has been marked and you know your score then you cannot change the work or your school will have cheated. If you know which marks you didn't get then your school will also be considered to have cheated. They are not allowed to give you any feedback on controlled assessments other than a total score at the very end.
Original post by KryptoModz
I am programming Task 3 right now! I have to admit its a pain in the a***, I have managed to program about 80% of Task3 but it involved sleepless nights and A LOT of stress. Luckily for me my deadline was this week friday, but my teacher did postpone it till next week. Currently have 16k words just with Task 1 + 2 and aiming for about 20-22k after Task 3 documentation and the final evaluation. I have to admit this years criteria has to be the hardest of all the years. Last year for my school it was a dice game, which to be honest, i could program within a few hours..

What at your tasks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First thing is you don't know the grade boundaries for this year.
It could be 82/90 to get A*, who knows? They might've found it extremely easy even though it's usually 90% for A*.
Since you've said it'll take you a long time to get the 2 marks, imagine how long it'd take you to get 3... It'll be a few days longer.

On the other hand, the grade boundaries could also be decreased and might be 79/90 for A* this year and you'd have got it.

Imagine it takes you 2 weeks to do A452 and push it to 40 marks as remember this is only done at school so it'll take ages.
Why not spend those 2 weeks revising the hardest topics, the ones which you find the hardest, like network and programming, maybe you'd find programming easier as you learn python on A453.

I think 3 marks represents 5.4 UMS according to 2015 grade boundaries.
So, you might need to get 11 marks more to get an A*, that is way tough as it's rare to lose such low marks. It depends, need to research more on OCR grade boundaries before I can give you proper advice.

EDIT: Yeah, it's 11 extra marks I guess or none if the boundaries go lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
do u know what the maths November boundaries are for a c?
Original post by sai13
do u know what the maths November boundaries are for a c?

Exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Chittesh14

no the English and maths retake boundaries are?
Original post by sai13
no the English and maths retake boundaries are?

No, sorry, you're getting me wrong.
Do you know your exam board for English and maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
help me on this coursework please im only 600 words in to it.
Original post by Jrp051
Hi,
I managed to do task 1 and task 2 with ease.
a) A primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students. The program should generate a quiz consisting of a series of random questions, using in each case any two numbers and addition, subtraction and multiplication. The system should ask the student’s name, then ask 10 questions, output if the answer to each question is correct or not and produce a final score out of 10. Create a program to meet these requirements.b) The teacher wants to keep track of the scores each member of the class obtains in the quiz. There are three classes in the school and the data should be kept separately for each class. Create a program that will record and store the data for three separate classes of students using the arithmetic quiz.c) The teacher wants to use the results from students taking these quizzes to log their performance. The system should store >the last three scores for each student. The teacher would like to be able to output the results of the quiz for a particular class, sorted: in alphabetical order with each student’s highest score for the tests by the highest score, highest to lowest by the average score, highest to lowest. Create a program that will allow the teacher to select which class group to look at and which field to use when sorting the output data.
above shows the task.
I dont understand how you can save 3 scores attached to one student using txt files. I managed to sort alphabeticallly using the built in sorted() function however am stuck on the other two. this is confussing my WHOLE class so i assume others are in the same situation. This is very frustrating as I find writing the report very easy as I am compotent in english and predicted a/a* at iGCSE.
ps. Yes I know my grammar and writting in this thread is atrocious .
Original post by waveyyhrb
help me on this coursework please im only 600 words in to it.

lol that's my exact task

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone help me on how to store the last 3 scores for each student please? Once I have done that, the rest of the task seems simple compared to it, so best to get the hard bit out of the way. Tried to code it but failed miserably, can someone give some advice or help?
this sounds horrible, we just did the caesar cipher one.
what did you do for A542?
Reply 75
Okay so I got an A (2 marks of an A* however not yet moderated) the task may seam difficult and Im not going to lie it is. However if you look at the mark scheme you will realise how few marks are on your code and and how many on development. At the start of Task3 I stated I will make this program assuming the scores for the students are already there then clearly developed it explaining every step and evaluating to a high standard as well as lots of testing screenshots. This is how to get a good mark. Many members of my class wasted far too much time trying to code a solution and failed with little work to show for it. If you do try and start the programming but don't complete at least explain ,test and evaluate what you have done this WILL get you marks. Screen shots with no explanation WONT.
Original post by Jrp051
Okay so I got an A (2 marks of an A* however not yet moderated) the task may seam difficult and Im not going to lie it is. However if you look at the mark scheme you will realise how few marks are on your code and and how many on development. At the start of Task3 I stated I will make this program assuming the scores for the students are already there then clearly developed it explaining every step and evaluating to a high standard as well as lots of testing screenshots. This is how to get a good mark. Many members of my class wasted far too much time trying to code a solution and failed with little work to show for it. If you do try and start the programming but don't complete at least explain ,test and evaluate what you have done this WILL get you marks. Screen shots with no explanation WONT.

True, development is like 18 marks....
When I first ever started a computing controlled assessment (A452), I simply just wrote a few lines for each subsection and showed no signs of improvement, development nor research... However my teacher was clueless on what to do, and another teacher had marked it and i got a U. Learning from that mistake bumped it up to 16k out of nothing. Ideas just come to mind in how you can improve your work. Now my A453 is honestly top notch, and I can't deny it myself.

Yes i could give you some help, if you would like.

Hi I am currently doing this and am so stuck!!!! could you help me ? I am willing to pay as I am desperate as my teacher is never here and hardly helps :frown:
Reply 78
Im doing OCR Computing, but i haven't heard about 'caesar cipher' is this a massive problem....? I've done the Maths stuff in Python and im currently doing the LMC stuff.
When I first ever started a computing controlled assessment (A452), I simply just wrote a few lines for each subsection and showed no signs of improvement, development nor research... However my teacher was clueless on what to do, and another teacher had marked it and i got a U. Learning from that mistake bumped it up to 16k out of nothing. Ideas just come to mind in how you can improve your work. Now my A453 is honestly top notch, and I can't deny it myself.

Yes i could give you some help, if you would like.

could you give me some help with task 3?
no clue with how to start with the coding...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending