The Student Room Group

Biology Graph Interpretation

Question no. 7 b) i) in the paper Jan 2014 IAL Unit 4 has been eating my head. I dont understand the question or the mark scheme. The examnier report is of no help seeing as they never show what to do with this type of a question. Please help?
Where is the paper, where the examiner report? I can't see anything, Would you be so kind and give it to us as an attachment, please?
Is that the assignment: 'Explain the importance of the sequence of bases in a gene'?

As far as I am able to read your answer (I must admit that I have some problems with your writing), you are on the right track. But I would be a bit exactlier.

The sequence of bases influence the transcription which is responsible for the RNA strands (mRNA, tRNA and rRNA). According to the sequence, the transcription is different, so the synthesis of RNA strands as well. That is to say it comes to different proteins with different functions for organism.
Excuse me does anyone have any sources where I can revise the practical of unit 4 from?
I only have the practical summary.. hope that's okay
Original post by Kallisto
Is that the assignment: 'Explain the importance of the sequence of bases in a gene'?

As far as I am able to read your answer (I must admit that I have some problems with your writing), you are on the right track. But I would be a bit exactlier.

The sequence of bases influence the transcription which is responsible for the RNA strands (mRNA, tRNA and rRNA). According to the sequence, the transcription is different, so the synthesis of RNA strands as well. That is to say it comes to different proteins with different functions for organism.

I appreciate the time you have taken for answering my doubts but i seem to have a problem with your level of understanding... I specifically said "GRAPH QUESTION" which is not even about transcription and translation. I am sorry to have not provided you with a paper but i ll provide it below. I think you got confused because the Question no. 7 was not even included properly in the examiner report, which was exactly my COMPLAINT.

Here is the link to the question paper : http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Biology/2013/Exam%20materials/WBI04_01_que_20140110.pdf

Question no. 7) b) ii) Please help if possible.
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
x

I was looking for a graph, but nothing found. That is why I gave you an answer to no.7. I hope that it is the right assignment this time.

As far as I can see, the extent of rigor mortis increases in an exponential way to decrease so immediately after achieved the maximum point. As you really know rigor mortis is a procedure which lead to a 'pertification' after a person died. This procedure lasts about 24 hours, the maximum point is at 25 hours. That is to say rigor mortis ends at this point, that is why the graph decreases in the next hours.

As long as the ambient temperature is constant, I guess, the surrounding cannot influence the core temperature of the died person. If I am not mistaken, the core temperature decreases in the following hours after the death/the beginning of rigor mortis. Thus it exists a certain core temperature to a certain hour after rigor mortis. So a pathologist - IF the ambient temperature is constant - is able to give a more accurate estimate.

That is my explanation, but I am not sure, if that is THE answer to that assignment. The only one what I know is that this method of estimate exists in pathology. I am so sorry that I give an answer to you so lately, but I was too busy in the last days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the reply.. Late or not doesn't bother me. The answer is supposed to be a calculation.. i think you got me wrong again.. i want the answer for 7 b) i) . But anyways thanks for your reply.
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Thanks for the reply.. Late or not doesn't bother me. The answer is supposed to be a calculation.. i think you got me wrong again.. i want the answer for 7 b) i) . But anyways thanks for your reply.

Sorry that I was not able to help you. But to be honest, I have really no idea how to calculate it. I am so sorry.
For the graph: rigor mortis is the contraction and stiffness of muscle after death. During relaxation of muscle, the sarcoplasmic reticulum need ATP to reabsorb the Calcium ions from the myofibril. After death, no ATP is produced and therefore Ca2+ stay in the myofibril, keeping the muscle contracted.

For b i), draw a horizontal line on the graph from where y was 2.0, look for the two values of x where the line crosses and take the difference.

Hope this help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending