The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would definitely mention it to them 'cos it's the honest thing to do. Plus, I'm sure they can claim it back once they're in the know about it so it's best to avoid being in that situation in the first place.
Reply 2
Definately tell them, otherwise you might find that they deduct it from your pay if they realise their mistake in the future, wo you'll be out of pocket.

Just take your payslip and ask if the current rate of pay is correct.
They can ask for it back, but they may never notice. It's up to you really how you play it. You could say you honestly didn't know so then you don't look like you were being cheeky trying to take it lol. Or you can fess up now and get them to adjust it.

Sometimes they never find out. Up to you really. None of them is illegal or owt because as far as they're aware you don't know.
Reply 4
Personally i'd keep quiet about it. If you get caught out then act dumb but you might as well try and get away with it for as long as possible.
Reply 5
If they are paying you more than that is there problem, it's not your responsibility to check that your wages are in line with their minimum wage policy.
Reply 6
i was being paid over once,and they took it back at once at a future date when they realised the mistake.and this was after i'd spoken to my agency and even to a team leader at work both of which had said it was ok and i should stop worrying. wasn't nice.
Reply 7
Defo tell them. i got overpaid at one of my jobs and they then took a lump sum out of my wages when they realised their mistake. i hadn't realised i was being paid more than i ought to be and so i was relying on that money and missed it when it was taken out!
Reply 8
yeh that's what happened with me...all at one go! ouch!
i would be honest about it, tempting as it is not to owe up though
ur manager might be nice about it and overlook it, but be honest, it'll make u go farther in life
Why tell them? Maybe they decided to pay you more than your minimum wage?

I have had jobs where the wage goes up to the minimum wage for 21+ when you turn 18. Some places do.

If they do question it, or you notice a discrepincy in your pay (if they take it back), lie and say you weren't aware of it.
My boss pays everyone minimum wage too, but I found out I was getting paid the 21+ rate when I was 20 and probably even before that.

I only realised because there was a problem with my wages that my boss brought my attention to (I had been underpaid when the minimum wage went up) and he said "I got it right for everyone on the under 21 minimum wage, it was just you and ____ that I paid wrong". But he knew how old I was and even gave me a card for my 21st so I figured if he knew my age he was intentionally paying me more. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending