The Student Room Group

Swedish grades and entry requirements

Next year, I'm probably going to apply to uni in the UK, and at the moment I'm thinking of single honours Philosophy at KCL, Warwick, UCL, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. I graduated from Swedish secondary school earlier this year one year late, as I originally did the IB, but personal issues combined with the school closing down our programme messed things up, including some of my grades. Thus, I graduated from the Humanistiska programme with the following grades:

A in 14 100-point courses and 2 50-point courses as well as another A in Philosophy 2, an extra 50-point course. (I've got an A in Philosophy 1 as well.)

B in 4 100-point courses.

C in 3 100-point courses, including Maths 2c and 3c.

E in 2 100-point courses.

All in all you've got 2550 points, 2400 of normal courses, 100 in a project thingy and 50 in the exta phil. Also, my grade point average is 18.13. (All A would be 20.00, all B 17.50, all C 15.00, etc.)

Now, do you think these grades qualify me for Philosophy at the unis I mentioned? I know King's wants AAA which they equate to "10 subjects at A and the remainder at B." Does that mean the small number of grades below B disqualify me? UCL (also AAA) writes, "Award of the Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasasieskolan /Avgangsbetyg with A in at least 1500 points plus B in a further 500 points to include A in relevant subjects." Warwick (AAB) only has a general statement about Swedish grades: "Typically we require the Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasiek with a minimum of B overall, for certain subjects there may be specific subject requirements."

Furthermore, I'll be 21 when I apply and 22 when the course starts, so could my mature status alleviate the requirements in some way?

If anyone knows the answers to the same questions but for PPE at the same unis you're welcome to share that as well!
Original post by Martinpelto
Next year, I'm probably going to apply to uni in the UK, and at the moment I'm thinking of single honours Philosophy at KCL, Warwick, UCL, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. I graduated from Swedish secondary school earlier this year one year late, as I originally did the IB, but personal issues combined with the school closing down our programme messed things up, including some of my grades. Thus, I graduated from the Humanistiska programme with the following grades:

A in 14 100-point courses and 2 50-point courses as well as another A in Philosophy 2, an extra 50-point course. (I've got an A in Philosophy 1 as well.)

B in 4 100-point courses.

C in 3 100-point courses, including Maths 2c and 3c.

E in 2 100-point courses.

All in all you've got 2550 points, 2400 of normal courses, 100 in a project thingy and 50 in the exta phil. Also, my grade point average is 18.13. (All A would be 20.00, all B 17.50, all C 15.00, etc.)

Now, do you think these grades qualify me for Philosophy at the unis I mentioned? I know King's wants AAA which they equate to "10 subjects at A and the remainder at B." Does that mean the small number of grades below B disqualify me? UCL (also AAA) writes, "Award of the Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasasieskolan /Avgangsbetyg with A in at least 1500 points plus B in a further 500 points to include A in relevant subjects." Warwick (AAB) only has a general statement about Swedish grades: "Typically we require the Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasiek with a minimum of B overall, for certain subjects there may be specific subject requirements."

Furthermore, I'll be 21 when I apply and 22 when the course starts, so could my mature status alleviate the requirements in some way?

If anyone knows the answers to the same questions but for PPE at the same unis you're welcome to share that as well!

To be honest this is a very detailed question that people on TSR are unlikely to know the answer to. You'd be better off emailing the relevant unis and asking them the questions about your qualifications - they are the ones who will be making the decisions.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
To be honest this is a very detailed question that people on TSR are unlikely to know the answer to. You'd be better off emailing the relevant unis and asking them the questions about your qualifications - they are the ones who will be making the decisions.

You're right. I've e-mailed a couple of them already, but I posted here on the off chance that somebody with a similar experience might see it. It's not always easy getting the level of clarity that applicants with A-level grades are privileged with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending