The Student Room Group

Help please

I am having troubles in doing this rational rose task, and was wondering if ther was anybody that could give me a possible guideline!!!!!

Question:
A retail outlet sells various items through its catalogue sales. A customer chooses a list of items, which he/she wishes to purchase. Each item is listed together with a description and its weight, which influences the cost of transporting the order. For each item, there will be a reduction in price for purchasing in quantity. A customer order will be dated and will have a status value, which indicates whether the order is paid, due for payment or overdue for payment. For each order the total, the VAT and the total weight of the order will be calculated separately. These are calculated by adding together the sub-totals and weights which have been calculated for each item in the order. The company maintains a database of customers, with details such as name and address. A customer can have more than one order pending. Payment can be made in 1 of 3 ways, by credit card, cash or by cheque. For a credit card transaction, the number, type of card and its expiry date must be known. Credit cards and cheques must be authorised before a transaction can take place. For a cheque, the account name plus the bank sort code must be known before the cheque is authorised.
Richard05
I am having troubles in doing this rational rose task, and was wondering if ther was anybody that could give me a possible guideline!!!!!

Question:
A retail outlet sells various items through its catalogue sales. A customer chooses a list of items, which he/she wishes to purchase. Each item is listed together with a description and its weight, which influences the cost of transporting the order. For each item, there will be a reduction in price for purchasing in quantity. A customer order will be dated and will have a status value, which indicates whether the order is paid, due for payment or overdue for payment. For each order the total, the VAT and the total weight of the order will be calculated separately. These are calculated by adding together the sub-totals and weights which have been calculated for each item in the order. The company maintains a database of customers, with details such as name and address. A customer can have more than one order pending. Payment can be made in 1 of 3 ways, by credit card, cash or by cheque. For a credit card transaction, the number, type of card and its expiry date must be known. Credit cards and cheques must be authorised before a transaction can take place. For a cheque, the account name plus the bank sort code must be known before the cheque is authorised.

Alright there fella'...this is where i actually know a little bit about what i'm talking about:p:

Ok, before i say much else a couple of questions...

1. Are you creating a case or a class diagram or even both?

2. Have you used Rational Rose before (if not you should know that it's easy to use, but a bitch when it comes to editing parts.)
Reply 2
I am using class diagram. Plus i have used rational rose, wee bit. have done a few easier ones doing case diagrams and class diagrams, but when it comin to specifyin the attributes and operations for each class gettin bit lossed.
ok.... i've been a bit busy today, hence why i'm doing this now... anyway
*WARNING LONG POST*

If you've already set out the fields it shouldn't be too much of a problem really.

Also i depends how detailed you need to get, for example, with ours we only had to give a few attributes and operations, just to show we knew what they basically were about.

I found the attributes bit not so complicated, but when it comes to the operations, they can be a bit more tricky.

If you're confused as to what they actually mean here my simple definition:

The attribute is just bascially what needs to be included under that field.
So for 'customer', what would the database/software etc need to know...

IE
custName
custAddress
custID.....etcetc

(notice the way they have to be set out... lower case and for the "cust" bit to show its included in the customer field... and then a capital for the actual information needed)

Then for the operations part you have any calculations or 'operations' (couldn't think of antoher word:p: )...for example

Under the order field you might need to know what needs to be calculated in order for the system to understand the order.

IE

getOrderID
getOrderPrice
calcOrderPrice

get - showing the system it has to retrieve the price information from another place, and calc - for calcuating the order price... that's a basic description.

Sorry if you already knew that, but thought i better put it in just in case...

i've also attached one that i recently submitted (hasn't been marked just yet so may have a few inaccuracies) although i am 99% the shape of the model is correct, just the attributes and operations might be too basic... it's in word for printing reasons by the way, but was created in Rational Rose.

Sorry if that was long, but if you still need some help feel free to keep asking...:smile:
Reply 4
Thanks, but got it done ther.

Latest

Trending

Trending