The Student Room Group

Interview Prep

Hey all, I've applied to study Nat Sci biological at Cambridge this year and seeing as the interview period is just over a month away, I'm starting to attempt to prepare for it. For anyone in the same position as me or current Cambridge students, how are you/did you prepare for your interviews? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by TheFroyoBear
Hey all, I've applied to study Nat Sci biological at Cambridge this year and seeing as the interview period is just over a month away, I'm starting to attempt to prepare for it. For anyone in the same position as me or current Cambridge students, how are you/did you prepare for your interviews? :smile:

Hi, I'd would say:
1/ revise all (all, everything!!!) the materials you've covered so far.
2/ re-read your personal statement and make sure you know thoroughly about what you've written in it.
3/ try to arrange some mock interviews with your teachers so that you can practice talking out loud about what is going on in your head.

Best wishes!

The above advice is good.

Make sure you have good knowledge of your AS and A2 sciences/maths.

It's probably useful to have read something extra just in case you are asked what extra reading you've done, and it would look pretty bad if you had nothing to talk about. :p:

And yeah, try to have one or two mock interviews with teachers.

Don't worry too much, just keep on doing what you've (hopefully) already been doing in terms of reading around your subject. Making sure you're familiar with your AS and current work is a good idea, but there's no need to cram intensively - going over your revision notes is fine. Interviewers aren't testing who remembers the most from year 12 - they're interested in seeing how you can apply what you already know to new situations.

Remember that your current studies are the most important - we really don't want to be distracting you from this and there's no expectation for you to do tons of prep, but making sure you're familiar with your subject, the Cambridge course and what you've sent in the way of a personal statement or written work is a good idea.

Regarding mock interviews, some people find them useful, others don't. Don't get too carried away with them - they are unlikely to be the same (or sometimes even similar) to your Cambridge interview. Watch this on youtube to get a really good idea of what an interview is like.

The best prep is often done when you're doing other things (rather than when you sit down and think 'I'm going to prep now') - things like talking to your friends/teachers/parents/siblings/classmates about why you love genetics or arguing with them about how life evolved. Things like talking out loud when you're going through your homework, or finding out about some cool biology you don't get taught at school.
Thank you all so much for the responses - they have been so helpful! :smile: :smile:
Thank you all so much for the responses - they have been so helpful! :smile: :smile:

Hey so although I didn't do Nat Sci biological myself but biochemistry at Oxford, I am aware of some useful resources and app experience sharing places that I wish had existed when I was applying that are available just by googling. There are even current students sharing their application experience through youtube videos so worth youtubing Cambridge Natural Sciences Interview. But as a general tip don't try and see past interview questions in the hope that they will come up. Any question mentioned in TSR is not likely to come up... But instead do not neglect your AS and A2 contents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending