The Student Room Group

Manchester or Surrey uni?

Manchester is in the Russell Group and has a high international reputation but Surrey has a much higher national reputation and isn't Russell Group. Surrey also has a significantly higher career prospects

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KSIOlajideBT
Manchester is in the Russell Group and has a high international reputation but Surrey has a much higher national reputation and isn't Russell Group. Surrey also has a significantly higher career prospects

They're as good as each other.

The Russel Group accreditation means virtually nothing.

Manchester is likely to have a much better social life as it's in a city.

Honestly, it comes down to what sort of experience you're looking for from university.

If you're more social: Manchester.

If you're more reserved: Surrey.

However, obviously you should look at many more factors!

Good luck :smile:

I live right next to Surrey. It's become very good lately, but Guildford is kind of a boring place, and the university buildings arent remarkably fancy or anything. But it's got nice grounds!

I don't know much about Manchester.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Surrey has a better reputation than Manchester within the UK - let's just say that it's not a commonly held idea.

Career prospects will vary from course to course - have a look at unistats.ac.uk for the facts.

For what it's worth, I went to Manchester, enjoyed myself and got a good job at the end of it. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Manchester :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, so I'm having the same dilemma, considering both Manchester and Surrey. I want a good fulfilling social life and wish to get involved in loads of fun activities volunteering and the like, but at the same time would want to have a very good department that supports and challenges us.

I've heard reviews that Manchester isn't as interesting for the Masters students for engineering and that the lectures don't really care about the students progress.
Reply 5
hello
i am currently studying at surrey, i am in my second year and it is absolutley great. i have heard manchester is ok but have not been my self
Reply 6
nightlife at surrey is brilliant. more classy than manchester
Reply 7
airing me then
Reply 8
ok dont talk to me
Original post by tommy-
ok dont talk to me

lol, it's not like that. Thank you for your answer

Honestly though, do you enjoy the lecturers the study, how much support do they give you?

Also, is there opportunity to get involved in activities that can enhance your CV ect?

Do they hep you find placements

Are the facilities good?
Original post by tommy-

What is the social life in Surrey like honestly? how active are people generally
Visit both and choose the one you will feel at home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tommy-

This is late but how would you know when you said you've never been to manchester before
Manchester has a better reputation than Surrey both in the UK and abroad.

I am leaning towards Manchester, but if the course that you intend to study has a better rep at Surrey than Manchester, then you should choose Surrey. No need to have an amazing social (which I heard Manchester does have), but with a really rubbish course.

Good luck.
hi! What about surrey's social life and campus experience? has it got good night life?
hi! What about surrey's social life and campus experience? has it got good night life?
Original post by nattferrerr

I heard that surrey has an okay social life, but it is a campus in a small town (Guildford).

If you are more of a small campus person then it is fine. Else, Manchester is a better option.
Original post by nattferrerr

Heya @nattferrerr, I graduated from Surrey 2 years ago and still live in Guildford as I now work for the uni. I have first hand experience of Guildford nightlife :smile: I'll reply to your post on the TSR Community Chat as this thread is quite old. :smile:
How’s living in Manchester like how’s the people their and prices, what is your thoughts about the professors and students there
Original post by 8Alanoud
How’s living in Manchester like how’s the people their and prices, what is your thoughts about the professors and students there

Manchester is a thriving city with loads to do. The University is also strong academically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending