The Student Room Group

2 Years Left of Funding, Can it Cover an Open University Course?

Hi everyone,

I have already been to two different Universities but none of them worked out for various personal reasons and therefore I have just 2 years left of funding from student finance.

I am thinking of enrolling onto an Open University course anyway because it's cheaper and its supposed to be decent.
Their courses cost £5,400 per year, so £16,200 for three years and I have 2 years of study left which is £18,000 plus my maintenance loan and grants of £7,300.

So could I start a course at the Open University next year or will i still have to self fund the first year?

I know this is probably not how it works... but if anyone knows that would be great!

Reply 1
Original post by rk1212
Hi everyone,

I have already been to two different Universities but none of them worked out for various personal reasons and therefore I have just 2 years left of funding from student finance.

I am thinking of enrolling onto an Open University course anyway because it's cheaper and its supposed to be decent.
Their courses cost £5,400 per year, so £16,200 for three years and I have 2 years of study left which is £18,000 plus my maintenance loan and grants of £7,300.

So could I start a course at the Open University next year or will i still have to self fund the first year?

I know this is probably not how it works... but if anyone knows that would be great!

Any OU degree is classed as part time, so you can only get the Tuition Fee Loan and no maintenance. That's the case even if you choose to study an OU degree full-time.
Original post by rk1212
Hi everyone,

if by personal reasons you mean you had extenuating circumstances such as ill health and you have proof you can claim back years of entitlement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending