The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Home or away?

I am looking to study English Literature at Uni of Sheffield, I only live a 10/15 tram ride away from where the Uni is located so I'm not sure whether to move out or not? I know some people already who are not going to uni/planning on staying in Sheffield but I'm really worried I'm going to miss out on a lot socially. I know by living at home I'll miss out on a bit anyway, but as the University of Sheffield is not a campus university (the buildings being spread across the city centre) I don't know to what extent my social life will suffer.

To sum up: I don't want to miss out on the Student social life too much, but I only live 10mins away from Uni so is it justifiable to move out just for a social life?
I mean you'll miss out on the halls experience if you stay at home but you won't miss out too much socially as long as you get on with your coursemates and join a couple of societies like everyone else. It'll take a bit longer to make friends and you'll miss out on freshers as at the start everything's really based around your flatmates but other after a few weeks you should be in a similar position socially to people in halls.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. I am planning on joining a few societies that involve groupwork (eg film making society) so hopefully that will help. I also know that The University of Sheffield offer a "commuting students" even so other commuters can meet each other - would that be an almost equivalent to freshers?
Original post by Helloworld_95
I mean you'll miss out on the halls experience if you stay at home but you won't miss out too much socially as long as you get on with your coursemates and join a couple of societies like everyone else. It'll take a bit longer to make friends and you'll miss out on freshers as at the start everything's really based around your flatmates but other after a few weeks you should be in a similar position socially to people in halls.
Original post by beetlepoe
Thanks for your reply. I am planning on joining a few societies that involve groupwork (eg film making society) so hopefully that will help. I also know that The University of Sheffield offer a "commuting students" even so other commuters can meet each other - would that be an almost equivalent to freshers?

I guess it's their attempt at an equivalent, in practice I doubt it's possible to come close to the real thing though given most of it is about bonding with flatmates and you're just not going to have the same connection with other commuters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending