The Student Room Group

GOING INSANE. Misdiagnosis, misinformation, hell. Who should I trust?

Psychiatrist? My partner? New friends? Family?
Psychiatrist said I'm bipolar. My partner is certain it's PTSD and sheer trauma and I need therapy, not medications. My family thinks that I'm 'fine' and making things up. Some people I have met say it's to do with the fact that I'm a sinner and it's demonic oppression. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really religious but some stuff they said made sense. Personally, I think my problems have purely a physical cause but the doctors just can't find anything. But I just don't know what to do, I can't please them all! But it's true that psychiatrists often make profits from drugs.. and the clinical trials are so biased, so what if they are all wrong? It's all just too much for me to handle!
Don't listen to any of them. They clearly don't understand you. All that mental health suffererers want is to be understood, that way they don't feel alone in thinking the ways they do, and eventually will get on with life again :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Psychiatrist said I'm bipolar. My partner is certain it's PTSD and sheer trauma and I need therapy, not medications. My family thinks that I'm 'fine' and making things up. Some people I have met say it's to do with the fact that I'm a sinner and it's demonic oppression. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really religious but some stuff they said made sense. Personally, I think my problems have purely a physical cause but the doctors just can't find anything. But I just don't know what to do, I can't please them all! But it's true that psychiatrists often make profits from drugs.. and the clinical trials are so biased, so what if they are all wrong? It's all just too much for me to handle!

Psychiatrist would be the first person to go as they're trained in that very field. Misdiagnoses happen, some problems have similar symptoms. If possible, could you mention some of the symptoms?
Reply 3
Psychiatrist would be the first person to go as they're trained in that very field. Misdiagnoses happen, some problems have similar symptoms. If possible, could you mention some of the symptoms?

Occasional weird mood shifts, from sad to overexcited in a matter of seconds and for no reason but most of the time I'm just feeling 'depressed' or numb, concentration problems, blank mind feeling, as if nothing is real, sleeping too much, annoying thoughts, nightmares, insane anxiety, paranoid, no motivation to do anything, nothing just makes me feel good or happy anymore.
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
Don't listen to any of them. They clearly don't understand you. All that mental health suffererers want is to be understood, that way they don't feel alone in thinking the ways they do, and eventually will get on with life again :smile:

It's been a long time and I'm not getting better, unfortunately. This is the only reason why I have finally decided to see a psychiatrist, I don't really trust them either....
Reply 5
To be honest, pretty much everything you described could be caused by trauma (which I assume you have been through from your OP). Mood swings in seconds doesn't match bipolar but obviously I'm no expert. Maybe you could seek a second opinion?
Reply 6
Original post by Jenx301
To be honest, pretty much everything you described could be caused by trauma (which I assume you have been through from your OP). Mood swings in seconds doesn't match bipolar but obviously I'm no expert. Maybe you could seek a second opinion?

I also thought that with bipolar, people usually experience one mood or another for many weeks. What I experience is mostly depression but with occasional bouts of very happy excited mood. However, the psychiatrist referred to those moods as possibly mania or hypomania and said that it didn't matter how long the elevated mood lasted for, as long as it happened more than once.

If you don't mind me asking what is it your friend thinks might be causing ptsd? What is the trauma. You're anon so you can say but no worries if you don't want to go into it
Reply 8
Original post by Little Popcorns
If you don't mind me asking what is it your friend thinks might be causing ptsd? What is the trauma. You're anon so you can say but no worries if you don't want to go into it

Crazy neighbor molested and harassed me when I was in my teens. But that happened a loong time ago, I'm in my early twenties now. But my partner believes it's all related to that because I have never received any counseling so the trauma is 'still there somewhere'. But I'm skeptic. I think I'm totally over it, and have been for a long time.
Reply 9
Crazy neighbor molested and harassed me when I was in my teens

If you don't mind me asking, was this a 'one off' or repeated?

Obviously the former is undesirable but if the latter it makes PTSD likely!

PS don't buy into any of the religious stuff. The issue will be psychological or possibly physiological ort maybe both. Good luck in getting it sorted!
Original post by Wimbs
Crazy neighbor molested and harassed me when I was in my teens

If you don't mind me asking, was this a 'one off' or repeated?

Obviously the former is undesirable but if the latter it makes PTSD likely!

PS don't buy into any of the religious stuff. The issue will be psychological or possibly physiological ort maybe both. Good luck in getting it sorted!

It went on for about 2 months (but not everyday or anything). And thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest