The Student Room Group

ideal reps/sets/weight level for lean gains?

Since i`m relatively new to weight-lifting (3 months) i thought i`d ask this question now, as i`m down to a reasonable (though not quite ideal for me just yet) 12% body fat:

I still can`t lift the ridiculously heavy weights some of my mates are lifting - but they`re doing it to gain size, whereas i`m doing it to gain strength ( a bit of a contradiction, yes, i know).

I`ve gone from 2 sets of cable work and 2 sets of weights to ONE cables/4 weights to try to help with the lean gains i want.

I have noticed even over a few days, my upper body has become somehow just a little more "defined", and was wondering:

Should i keep doing what i`m doing for lean mass? - (10+ reps to failure) - about 6 exercises at a time (too much? - i do mix it up though - different sets on different days etc)

(e.g. today:
overhead press with barbell
bicep curl into Arnold press, hammer curl, shrugs (dumbells), crush grip goblet squat, barbell bicep curl.)

As i say, i`m only a beginner, so for example my dumbells are only 10kg`s and my barbell is only 40kgs (please! - don`t laugh!)

i`d really appreciate any (good) suggestions to improve or comments about my sets/reps and how/where i might improve.

(and please, again, don`t laugh at what i can lift)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hahahhahahahahah
exercise selection is more important and yours is terrible
Reply 3
Original post by SmashConcept
exercise selection is more important and yours is terrible

thanks.

that`s agreat confidence boost.

shouldn`t have f*****g bothered asking.

I apologise you find me so ridiculous.

I`ll go away and harm myself now.

Feel better?
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're a beginner, and you're training for strength... wouldn't a beginner's strength routine be more ideal?
Reply 5
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you're a beginner, and you're training for strength... wouldn't a beginner's strength routine be more ideal?

Thanks - that`s why i`m asking! - i`m clueless as to what would benefit me the most, and that`s why i asked for help in all sincerity.

My lifts aren`t limited to those indicated. I mix it about, usually with squats and deadlifts - just not today. Most of my flys and deltoid/chest work is done with cables.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hasufel
thanks.

that`s agreat confidence boost.

shouldn`t have f*****g bothered asking.

I apologise you find me so ridiculous.

I`ll go away and harm myself now.

Feel better?

I don't see how this is a reasonable response. You asked a question and got an answer. If you are self sufficient enough to achieve anything in the gym whatsoever you would now be able to research some ideas on exercise selection, or indeed beginners strength programs. If you're not, then what's the point in helping you?
Original post by Hasufel
Thanks - that`s why i`m asking! - i`m clueless as to what would benefit me the most, and that`s why i asked for help in all sincerity.

Try something like Starting Strength 5x5 then mate. If strength is what you're after and you're a beginner then it will be ideal.

I don't normally suggest these types of routines to every man and his dog regardless of whether their main aim is to gain size or just strength
like some people like to do, I also never really did 5x5 training and my goal was to gain size and I've done very well, but as a strength program it's a good one :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
:stink:
Reply 9
As Woodymkc said I'd recommend stronglifts 5x5 too. It worked out well for me when I first started out and I got a lot stronger before I got bored and moved to candito's 6 week training.
Reply 10
Original post by woodymkc
try something like stronglifts 5x5 then mate. If strength is what you're after and you're a beginner then it will be ideal.

I don't normally suggest these types of routines to every man and his dog regardless of whether their main aim is to gain size or just strength
like some people like to do, i also never really did 5x5 training and my goal was to gain size and i've done very well, but as a strength program it's a good one :smile:

thank you..
Original post by WoodyMKC
Try something like StrongLifts 5x5 then mate. If strength is what you're after and you're a beginner then it will be ideal.

like some people like to do, I also never really did 5x5 training and my goal was to gain size and I've done very well, but as a strength program it's a good one :smile:

FWIW I've never really heard of anyone being successful on Stronglifts, but obviously it's better than doing Arnold presses, shrugs, 2 kinds of curls and goblet squats so like whatever
If you're a beginner do 3 full body workouts per week with at least a days rest in between. Forget isolation, focus on compound lifts. Would advise 3 x 10-12 reps per exercise. Aim to out-lift your pb from last week whilst maintaining strict form. As you get more advanced, your body will recover quicker so either increase your training frequency or do more sets or just plain switch up your routine.
Reply 13
:topic:
Stronglifts 5x5 is a solid program if your nutrition and exercise form is on point. ICF 5X5 is even better in my experience.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
If you're a beginner do 3 full body workouts per week with at least a days rest in between. Forget isolation, focus on compound lifts. Would advise 3 x 10-12 reps per exercise. Aim to out-lift your pb from last week whilst maintaining strict form. As you get more advanced, your body will recover quicker so either increase your training frequency or do more sets or just plain switch up your routine.

His aim is strength bro, 10-12 reps is hypertrophy range.

You're right about the compound lifts tho, smh the guys my age who go into the gym and start curling the nearest dumbbell
Original post by theone2498
His aim is strength bro, 10-12 reps is hypertrophy range.

You're right about the compound lifts tho, smh the guys my age who go into the gym and start curling the nearest dumbbell

5 x 5-6 reps per exercise then. In the title it said he wanted lean mass and he's a beginner so lifting super heavy isn't all that wise. But if its strength he wants then fair enough.
Original post by jlsmpV2
:topic:

you're a really bad troll
Original post by SmashConcept
FWIW I've never really heard of anyone being successful on Stronglifts, but obviously it's better than doing Arnold presses, shrugs, 2 kinds of curls and goblet squats so like whatever

It's a less effective version of the typical type of novice programme found in Mark Rippetoe's literature, but I think you can still be successful on it if you eat enough to back up the training, as it's not too different - and certainly, as you have said, better than doing what it is that OP is currently doing.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
5 x 5-6 reps per exercise then. In the title it said he wanted lean mass and he's a beginner so lifting super heavy isn't all that wise. But if its strength he wants then fair enough.

The title says that, but he goes on to say

whereas i`m doing it to gain strength

I think he's a bit confused about what he wants tbh loool

Quick Reply

Latest