The Student Room Group

A levels/ SAT scores needed for Dartmouth/ Cornell

I'm an international student studying in a British School in Dubai and am interested in applying to Dartmouth and Cornell (Early Decision hopefully). I have just started my AS levels and just thought it would be helpful to know what A level grades/ SAT scores I would need and what people in the past have got so that i can know my competition. Some advice from British students in Dartmouth/ Cornell would be great, thanks :smile:

For anyone wondering, I have 4A*s 5As at IGCSEs and am predicted AAAB at AS levels. I'll be doing my SATs next March and my SAT subject tests in Maths 2 and Physics later in 2016. For ECs, I have done 2 summer internships (graphic design), I've played tennis for my club for 5 years, I'm a member of my school cricket team, I have a blue belt in karate, I have first AID training, I have attended numerous walkathons and I've worked as a Maths tutor for KS3 students. Any ideas on what my chances are?

Thanks.
Original post by ProdigyUpdates
I'm an international student studying in a British School in Dubai and am interested in applying to Dartmouth and Cornell (Early Decision hopefully). I have just started my AS levels and just thought it would be helpful to know what A level grades/ SAT scores I would need and what people in the past have got so that i can know my competition. Some advice from British students in Dartmouth/ Cornell would be great, thanks :smile:

For anyone wondering, I have 4A*s 5As at IGCSEs and am predicted AAAB at AS levels. I'll be doing my SATs next March and my SAT subject tests in Maths 2 and Physics later in 2016. For ECs, I have done 2 summer internships (graphic design), I've played tennis for my club for 5 years, I'm a member of my school cricket team, I have a blue belt in karate, I have first AID training, I have attended numerous walkathons and I've worked as a Maths tutor for KS3 students. Any ideas on what my chances are?

Thanks.

As high as possible really and you might want to push further in your ECs. Academically, Dartmouth and Cornell will want grades similar to Oxbridge but unlike Oxbridge will scrutinise ECs very closely and often those getting offers excel at say national level in their ECs.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
As high as possible really and you might want to push further in your ECs. Academically, Dartmouth and Cornell will want grades similar to Oxbridge but unlike Oxbridge will scrutinise ECs very closely and often those getting offers excel at say national level in their ECs.

Cheers for the help, ill try and do something else like DofE and MUN. :smile:
Thanks for the help, ill try my best to push my maths up to an A*.
Original post by ProdigyUpdates
Cheers for the help, ill try and do something else like DofE and MUN. :smile:

Or strengthen on the ECs you're doing already. So you play cricket? What level? where, who with? Have you tried out for other competitive cricket teams e.g. local regional team? Go the extra mile, travel to say India or the Caribbean and volunteer to teach cricket to disadvantaged kids.

You're trained in first aid? What do you do with that first aid? Anyone can get a first aid certificate. Do you help at local events as a first aider? How about helping to teach first aid at a local community centre etc (depending on what is available in that respect in Dubai).

Blue belt in karate, have you taken part in local competitions that are open division/open to beginners, how have you fared? If you haven't done so, why not?

You don't necessarily need to have won Olympic gold or be international level (but it helps) but at least shown a commitment beyond attending a class once a week or on weekends. That alongside stellar academics is just as impressive as say someone who might only play soccer albeit for England U-17s and have A*A*A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending