The Student Room Group

New postgrad loans?

I've seen in the news that postgraduate loans for under 30s will be brought in next year. Just wondered if anybody knew anymore and if they might be ready for September 2016 start? Would be amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littleapple
I've seen in the news that postgraduate loans for under 30s will be brought in next year. Just wondered if anybody knew anymore and if they might be ready for September 2016 start? Would be amazing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have they been mentioned in the news recently? The results of the consultation are long overdue

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/postgraduate-study-student-loans-and-other-support

Bear in mind that they were a proposal of the previous government, so the current government has no commitment to postgraduate loans
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
This was in the media earlier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34639035

I read about the loans earlier this week but I can't remember where!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was in the media earlier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34639035

Thanks for this link - I'm still pessimistic that that loans will happen (not for personal reasons as I'm well past Masters and well over 30), but it's encouraging to see that they are being mentioned in the press again.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Tories have been spectacularly quiet on this since the Election promise.

Clearly they hadn't actually thought about the reality of this at the time, either in terms of costing or setting up the administration. Since Student Finance has mega problems collecting undergrad debt and is now essentially running at a loss, they may realise that this wont work at postgrad level either.

Don't hold your breath folks. The chances of it not happening, or being so restrictive that it actually provides no significant 'across the board' funding, are very high. They are already using phrases like 'next year' in the media - ie. 2016 entry, so it'll probably be a classic 'jam tomorrow' idea for the entire parliament.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
1. The Tories have been spectacularly quiet on this since the Election promise.

2. Clearly they hadn't actually thought about the reality of this at the time, either in terms of costing or setting up the administration. Since Student Finance has mega problems collecting undergrad debt and is now essentially running at a loss, they may realise that this wont work at postgrad level either.

3. Don't hold your breath folks. The chances of it not happening, or being so restrictive that it actually provides no significant 'across the board' funding, are very high. They are already using phrases like 'next year' in the media - ie. 2016 entry, so it'll probably be a classic 'jam tomorrow' idea for the entire parliament.

1. Well, I think the current government has already backed away from election promises. Another broken promise wouldn't be a surprise.
2. I didn't know SFE was that bad
3. I was actually very surprised that the loan was going to cater for all subjects. Even if it is capped for under-30 folk, it sounded quite unrestricted. So yeah, I agree that it will be a "next year, we will begin implementing it" thing that won't happen.
Reply 7
So these have been confirmed in the spending review to start 2016/2017 entry?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So these have been confirmed in the spending review to start 2016/2017 entry?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe so.
"They will provide up to £10,000 a year"

Be aware that the loan will not cover the entire fees + maintenance cost of a 12 month course.
This will still mean that many people will not be able to afford to do a Masters degree.
Original post by returnmigrant
"They will provide up to £10,000 a year"

Be aware that the loan will not cover the entire fees + maintenance cost of a 12 month course.
This will still mean that many people will not be able to afford to do a Masters degree.

This is true, so I suppose for anyone just starting university now with a plan to take a (non-integrated) masters, they should be looking for a source of a few thousand pounds over the next few years to finance their course.
Masters will be the new Undergrad. Everyone will have one in a few years.
Original post by Incongruous

That's one of the reasons why I'm seriously considering it, it's a very popular thing to do in the line of work I want to go into (not compulsory-ish like STEM, though).
Original post by Incongruous

This is also one of the reasons why I want to do one. At the moment postgrad at top universities like LSE and UCL is competitive obviously, but not as competitive as undergrad at those Unis. In a few years, masters demand will increase and getting into those Unis without a 1st will become incredibly difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending