The Student Room Group

Revision Tips For Essay A-Levels

Leave revision tips down below for subjects which require a lot of writing, for example; History; English Lit ; Government & Politics
before writing every essay make sure to write a plan literally saves your life:u:
(History) When writing a plan, write the factors and the significance of those factors, this may help in avoiding description.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Lit) Plenty of language, structure analysis with short embbeded quotations. Dont just plop a quote anywhere but make sure it links and always analyse what it means, what effect it has, what the author is trying to say etc. Include contextual analysis (paticularly in c/w) & try and think of original/different ideas esp. in the exam that help the examiners to look at it in a more positive light
Original post by retardis
(Lit) Plenty of language, structure analysis with short embbeded quotations. Dont just plop a quote anywhere but make sure it links and always analyse what it means, what effect it has, what the author is trying to say etc. Include contextual analysis (paticularly in c/w) & try and think of original/different ideas esp. in the exam that help the examiners to look at it in a more positive light

Just started English Lit, i'm wondering whether it's like GCSE where you pick one quote per point to delve into in detail or would numerous quotes in one paragraph be required to make a point?
Thank you
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Just started English Lit, i'm wondering whether it's like GCSE where you pick one quote per point to delve into in detail or would numerous quotes in one paragraph be required to make a point?
Thank you

Don't quote me on this but I can only tell you what I did and what works for me (I got an A at AS.) What I'd recommend is talking about two good quotes and use those to analyse language, structure etc. I think it's way easier to judge it when you start writing because you'll know if you need one more quote or analyse the sane quote in detail.
I did every single possible essay that could come up
Wrote model answers for this- got them marked by teachers to make sure they're good quality
Then memorised these
Same questions from these possible 40-45 essays came up
I got full marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
I did every single possible essay that could come up
Wrote model answers for this- got them marked by teachers to make sure they're good quality
Then memorised these
Same questions from these possible 40-45 essays came up
I got full marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this! :smile:
Original post by megzylouise
Thanks for this! :smile:

Good luck!! It's time consuming but worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest