The Student Room Group

Spot the mistake........

So for part of my first year I have to learn how to reference using APA correctly, we have been given a list of about 10 incorrect reference to correct, there's these two below where I can't see anything wrong with...Might be better with a few pairs of eye :smile: Any help is welcome thanks

Reference 1: Cottler, L. B. (1993). Comparing DSM-III-R and ICD-10 substance misuse disorders. Addiction, 88, 689-696

Reference 2: Bandura, A. (1977). Social Learning Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
2 - you don't use italics for the title, it doesn't have the journal name (also should be in italics), should be a full stop after Englewood Cliffs
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
2 - you don't use italics for the title, it doesn't have the journal name (also should be in italics), should be a full stop after Englewood Cliffs

Thanks!!
What is wrong with number 1??
Ok, going from an APA reference: Melatonin and Temperature as Circadian Phase Markers and Their Relation to Sleep Times in Humans". Journal of Biological Rhythms 20 (2): 178–188.

I would say how the last part of journal volume is written is wrong
That is exactly how I would write reference 1 (your example, not Noodlzzz's), therefore the only thing I can see wrong with it is that there is not full stop after the page number.
Reply 5
Original post by _Sinnie_
That is exactly how I would write reference 1 (your example, not Noodlzzz's), therefore the only thing I can see wrong with it is that there is not full stop after the page number.

Thanks

I was wondering if you knew anything about citations?

Would Farabee, Pendergast & Anglin, 1998 get shortened to Farabee et al or left as it is?
I'm pretty sure, with three authors, you cite the names every time in the text.

The rules change if there are more authors (with 4-6 I think you cite all the names the first time then use et al. subsequently), with over 6 you use et al. straight away and in the references section name the first 6 and use et al. for the rest. Or something like that. You'll have to check the APA guide, I haven't read it in over 3 years.
Original post by Noodlzzz

Isnt the second reference a book, though?
Also 88 shouldn't be in italics for ref 1.

BTW, if you download Mendeley or EndNote you can simply paste your pdf papers into that and it will automatically do your references. Realistically, nobody types references by hand anymore this is a pointless skill to learn.

Quick Reply