The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

What is the best accommodation? Or most socially reputable now that Richardson road is closed?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Newcastle University
x

Hi,

I have applied for student finance and have got my payments scheduled for when I start university.
I am entitled to the bursaries from Newcastle (means-tested), it says that these are applied automatically - however, when would I receive notification from the Uni that everything is correct and I will/won't receive the bursary?
Original post by TrojanH
Hi,

I have applied for student finance and have got my payments scheduled for when I start university.
I am entitled to the bursaries from Newcastle (means-tested), it says that these are applied automatically - however, when would I receive notification from the Uni that everything is correct and I will/won't receive the bursary?

Hi :smile:

I passed your query on to our student finance team and this was their response:
We will begin to assess students for Scholarships inAugust 2016. First year students who have been fully assessed by SFEgenerally hear from us before the end of September.Our heaviest assessment period runs from August untilmid-November, so if the student hasn't heard from us by the start of Novemberthey should contact us and we will look into their account on an individualbasis.
Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi. I just wanted to ask how flexible is Newcastle Uni with the offers made? I have an offer for comp sci and i am probably going to firm this but just wanted to ask what if i get a little less marks than in the offer? I am an international student and i have an offer for 75% so will i get accepted for 70%? Its just 5%.
Original post by topkekalias
Hi. I just wanted to ask how flexible is Newcastle Uni with the offers made? I have an offer for comp sci and i am probably going to firm this but just wanted to ask what if i get a little less marks than in the offer? I am an international student and i have an offer for 75% so will i get accepted for 70%? Its just 5%.

I contacted the admissions team and this was their response:

Every year, we accept some students who have just missed their offer. The actual number depends on how many meet their offer.

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Reply 45
Hi,

I've been made a conditional offer from Newcastle to study Geography with Spanish via the Partners Scheme with a BBB offer.
Currently, I study Geography, psychology and business, but am struggling to achieve a B grade in psychology but am excelling in business (predicted an A grade). Come results day, if i get ABC (A in business, B in geography and C in psychology) would this be viewed the same as BBB as the ucas points are the same? Or is BBB the only way in? Also, if worse comes to worse, and I achieve a BBC grade, is there any chance of getting in considering Newcastle has already lowered my conditional offer from AAB to BBB?

Thanks so much in advance!
Original post by Olijm
Hi,

I've been made a conditional offer from Newcastle to study Geography with Spanish via the Partners Scheme with a BBB offer.
Currently, I study Geography, psychology and business, but am struggling to achieve a B grade in psychology but am excelling in business (predicted an A grade). Come results day, if i get ABC (A in business, B in geography and C in psychology) would this be viewed the same as BBB as the ucas points are the same? Or is BBB the only way in? Also, if worse comes to worse, and I achieve a BBC grade, is there any chance of getting in considering Newcastle has already lowered my conditional offer from AAB to BBB?

How did you get your offer lowered though in the first place? And i guess the answer to you question is the same as mine.
Reply 47
Original post by topkekalias
How did you get your offer lowered though in the first place? And i guess the answer to you question is the same as mine.

Because i'm on the partners programme :smile: if you're eligiable it lowers to BBB buf you got to complete a summer school
Reply 48
Sorryfor late reply, thank you for help!
Original post by Olijm
Hi,

If the student does not meet the terms of their offer asdescribed they will be placed in a pool of 'near miss' candidates. Theadmissions team will then look at their achieved grades and Summer Schoolresults when deciding if they want to offer them a place. I would advise thatthe student gets in touch with the admissions team now to see if they wouldconsider changing their offer to ABC as this is equivalent to BBB.
Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
If anyone has any questions about courses in the medical school/accommodation or anything, send them my way!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Ask A Current Student thread here on The Student Room.

Our Rep team includes Christina, who is currently taking a degree in Marketing with our Business School. She'll be monitoring this thread on Mondays and Wednesdays, 9-5, to answer your questions about what it's like to study at Newcastle University.

We also have a team of Student Bloggers writing about topics like UCAS applications, student accommodation, clubs and societies, and all aspects of student life at Newcastle University!

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Anna
Reply 51
Thank you so much that was so helpful! I'll be sure to call up tomorrow and see! Thanks!!

If the student does not meet the terms of their offer asdescribed they will be placed in a pool of 'near miss' candidates. Theadmissions team will then look at their achieved grades and Summer Schoolresults when deciding if they want to offer them a place. I would advise thatthe student gets in touch with the admissions team now to see if they wouldconsider changing their offer to ABC as this is equivalent to BBB.
Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Hello!I am curious wether or not there are many study abroad opportunities within university and how hard is to obtain a year abroad as a Combined Honours student (Business, Politics and German) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Crmr1996
Hiya,

I went to my applicant day yesterday but unfortunately had to leave early before the q&a session. I've applied for combined honours with business French and Chinese. The guy presenting (Colin I think?) said that you need to be absolutely sure of the grade boundaries that each of your chosen unis will accept you at. He basically said that for combined hons you might be let in if you just missed your offer but that he only let in 5 out of 75 people that did last year. I guess you can't really answer these sorts of specific questions but I just wanted to see if I could get a bit more info about my offer. I'm thinking of making Newc my first choice (AB offer) and Manchester my second (BB). The reason it's only 2 grades is because I'm a gap year applicant but I'm resitting one of my French modules and also doing A2 business. Getting to the point now haha - I'm pretty confident about my A in business but a lot less confident about my B in French. I got a C last year and want to do better this year but I'm not as confident I will. I just wanted to know whether this counts as 'just missed' my offer if I were to get an a in business but a c again in french? Or whether the French grade is more important as that's what I need to do the subject, and you don't necessarily need business a level to study business. Hope this makes some sort of sense! Sorry it's so long winded haha thank you

Hey :smile:

For Combined Honours you can sometimes "balance out" your entry requirements by raising a grade in one subject to compensate for dropping a grade in another... For example, being accepted with A*BC when the offer was ABB. But as Combined Honours applications and subject choices tend to be so individual, it's not really possible to give general advice.

If you PM us with your full name and UCAS ID (and please include the course you applied for in the message) we can ask the admissions team to look into the specific conditions of your offer :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Original post by Lalala97
Hello!I am curious wether or not there are many study abroad opportunities within university and how hard is to obtain a year abroad as a Combined Honours student (Business, Politics and German) :smile:

Yes, there are loads of study abroad opportunities! And if you're studying German all through your degree you'll be expected to take an intercalating year in a German-speaking country :smile:

There's information on Study Abroad for Combined Honours on the School's website. If you are only taking German for one year you still have the option of studying abroad for one or two semesters as part of Erasmus+ or it may be possible to spend a full academic year at a partner university.

You can read some blogs from Newcastle students about studying abroad too :smile:

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Persephone
Hello :smile:
I wanted to ask about assessments in Biochemistry. As in are there a lot of essays to write during the years and in exams? I remember talking to one of the students and they talked abut mcqs as well.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Desi.Biochemist96
Hello :smile:
I wanted to ask about assessments in Biochemistry. As in are there a lot of essays to write during the years and in exams? I remember talking to one of the students and they talked abut mcqs as well.

Thank you :smile:

It's just MCQs in first year. You do one essay in first semester which you do at home and one timed essay in the 2nd.
Original post by jenigma
It's just MCQs in first year. You do one essay in first semester which you do at home and one timed essay in the 2nd.

Oh thank you :smile: (I dread writing essays :biggrin: )
Original post by Desi.Biochemist96
Oh thank you :smile: (I dread writing essays :biggrin: )

2nd year will have more essays, and 1st year prepares you for it so you're going to have to like it.
Original post by Tom5pence
Hello,
When will the new accommodation brochure be released? :smile:

Hey Tom :smile:

In case you haven't seen it yet, the 2016/17 accommodation brochure is out! http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/assets/documents/AccommodationBrochure16-17.pdf

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending