The Student Room Group

Packing Kit For Halton

I'm thinking of using some vacuum bags to make stuff like towels much smaller to fit more kit in my bag. Any potential problems with using them?
Reply 1
Original post by BenCampbell
I'm thinking of using some vacuum bags to make stuff like towels much smaller to fit more kit in my bag. Any potential problems with using them?

If it is for travelling to Halton and wanting more room in your bag then sure but I really wouldn't recommend taking them out on exercise.
Reply 2
Original post by Lisvane
If it is for travelling to Halton and wanting more room in your bag then sure but I really wouldn't recommend taking them out on exercise.

No not for exercise, just for getting my kit down to Halton then from Halton to trade training. Not sure if they would let me/if I would want to put issued kit in them though, but my clothes and towels etc could be made 1/4 of the size if I used them.
Reply 3
Original post by Lisvane

In fairness, I used vacuum bags on exercises all the way through IOT without problem.

OP, if you're trying to pack down towels you won't have much luck, they're big and bulky and just get heavy. Travel towels are so much better, dry much faster and pack down smaller in the first place.
If you don't find a mate going from basic to trade training who has a car, there is probably no hope for you! Don't over-think packing and don't take too much kit. It's almost as bad as having too little kit.
Reply 5
Original post by ProStacker
If you don't find a mate going from basic to trade training who has a car, there is probably no hope for you! Don't over-think packing and don't take too much kit. It's almost as bad as having too little kit.

There are a few going for the same trade so I should be fine. I'm trying not to take too much stuff, especially since I'll be home for Christmas. I am being a bit ocd though by taking 4 big tupperware boxes. One for boot polishing stuff, one for 1st aid and foot care stuff, one for cleaning stuff and one for other bits and pieces. It will make my locker neater and make life easier when trying to find things.
Original post by BC
There are a few going for the same trade so I should be fine. I'm trying not to take too much stuff, especially since I'll be home for Christmas. I am being a bit ocd though by taking 4 big tupperware boxes. One for boot polishing stuff, one for 1st aid and foot care stuff, one for cleaning stuff and one for other bits and pieces. It will make my locker neater and make life easier when trying to find things.

Good idea using the tupperware boxes; they will come in handy. Take a couple of 'proper' towels and perhaps a quick drying travel one for the exercise.

Don't worry about taking too much kit as the chances are that most of your civvies will be locked in a baggage room for the first few weeks. The RAF will transport you to Cosford so again you won't have to rely on a mate who drives (but it will help!).

One other point; consider changing your username ASAP if it resembles your real name in any way.
Reply 7
Anyone know if you are allowed iron on name tags?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I have packed iron on ones, but I'm sure you could just stitch over it if need be.

Quick Reply

Latest