The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

UKCAT
For Undergrad Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Applicants.

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently there's going to be a new section in the UKCAT as part of the DA
Reply 2
Original post by Rampage
Apparently there's going to be a new section in the UKCAT as part of the DA

Yes you're right I believe although I don't think the new section they're introducing will contribute to our final score, at least I hope not.
Anybody doing the UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? What, in your opinion, is the most difficult section? Is it just me, or is Verbal Reasoning really frustrating? :/
Original post by raniafern
Yup, something like Situational Judgement... Pearson Vue is trying to introduce this section and gauge our reaction, scores and to see how it'll contribute to selection of candidates by unis... So, I don't think it should matter.

Situational judgement has been around for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Situational judgement has been around for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :smile: I said 'like' SJT :smile:
Reply 6
I know :smile: I said 'like' SJT :smile:

Confidence ratings on DA. I did my UKCAT this year and we had to do it as a test, but it wasn't marked. We had to rate the confidence in our answers from 1-5. Because it didn't count, most of the people I know just did all 3s
I suspect I will be taking the UKCAT again in 2017. And the GAMSAT. And probably 2018 too.
Original post by Quilverine
I suspect I will be taking the UKCAT again in 2017. And the GAMSAT. And probably 2018 too.

If I may ask, what is your current level of education?
If I may ask, what is your current level of education?

I'm a grad. BSc with first class honours in medical photography and a PGCert in science communication. I just have yet to get a high enough ukcat to get an interview but gone up a decile each time. 7th decile in my final undergrad year, 8th decile last year and 9th this year.
Essential UKCAT Information - 2017 Medicine Applicants (Adapted from information here)

UKCAT Sections:
1) Verbal Reasoning
2) Quantitative Reasoning
3) Abstract Reasoning
4) Decision Making (New in 2016; does not contribute to your overall score. This section has replaced decision analysis)
5) Situational Judgement (Introduced in 2014 and does affect overall score)

Test Dates: 1st July 2016 - 5th October 2016
Registration Deadline: 21st September 2016
Test Location: Pearson Vue test centre
Test Fee: £65 (£80 - if taking test after 1st September 2016)

Average UKCAT Scores (2015)
Verbal Reasoning: 577
Quantitative Reasoning: 685
Abstract Reasoning: 640
Decision Analysis: 629

Free UKCAT Resources
Official Practice Questions
Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Verbal Reasoning Practice
Verbal Reasoning Practice

Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
GCSE Maths Practice

Abstract Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Abstract Reasoning Practice
Abstract Reasoning Practice

Situational Judgement Practice (More Advanced)
Anybody doing the UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? What, in your opinion, is the most difficult section? Is it just me, or is Verbal Reasoning really frustrating? :/

I will be taking the test hopefully the latest, by the end of this summer. I still haven't started studying for it but I hear it is pretty challenging. I'm also thinking of sitting the BMAT as well. How is it going for you?
Reply 12
Original post by DragonEmily
I will be taking the test hopefully the latest, by the end of this summer. I still haven't started studying for it but I hear it is pretty challenging. I'm also thinking of sitting the BMAT as well. How is it going for you?

Just some advice. Don't worry about it until after as exams. ie may or June. If you start now you will run out of resources. It doesn't require a lot of studying but mainly practice towards the time. Don't worry about BMAT until you've done the ukcat. You still have more than enough time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since DM will not be scored, will the overall score be out of 2700 + SJT?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14

Did the UKCAT this year and found Verbal Reasoning the most challenging out of the sections!
I have always found abstract reasoning drags my score down :frown:
Original post by Quilverine
I have always found abstract reasoning drags my score down :frown:

Ditto, my ar was 160 lower than my third highest score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Most difficult section practicing was QR for me but on the actual day, VR went from being my best to my worst.
Does anyone know where i could get the new UKCAT book with practice questions? It says that the release date is in May but I heard some people got the books already
Reply 19
Original post by Dakterite
Does anyone know where i could get the new UKCAT book with practice questions? It says that the release date is in May but I heard some people got the books already

No point starting prep or buying it now. Just wait and buy it on amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest