The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

hey guys, I did the UKCAT in 2015 and 2014.
Got 650 average in 2014 (having gone on a course)
and 712.5 average last year.
VR - 560
QR- 830
AR - 740
DA - 720
I started using medify 2 weeks before my test date and it saved me. It's reasonably priced (£30 ish for 3 weeks i seem to remember) so would 100% advise to use that to help prepare. I'm more than happy to answer any ukcat questions people have. I have an unconditional offer for medicine now for a UKCAT uni :smile:
Is it worth going on a course? Like does it actually maximise your chances of getting a place?
What uni did you get a place in? Also, do you think that GCSE's really matter when applying to a UKCAT uni?
Original post by Dakterite
Is it worth going on a course? Like does it actually maximise your chances of getting a place?
What uni did you get a place in? Also, do you think that GCSE's really matter when applying to a UKCAT uni?

I didn't find the course useful personally but depends on whether or not you're prepared to do a lot of work yourself.
You need to look at each uni separately; Cardiff and Birmingham are both UKCAT but very GCSE heavy - preferring 8+ A*s at GCSE!
what are the best books to study for the UKCAT? Thanks
Original post by Uni12345678
what are the best books to study for the UKCAT? Thanks

I'd say "Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions" is pretty good but would really recommend Medify to do some practice online (feels a lot more like doing the real thing)

edit: posted at like the exact same time as Kasx8 and turned out we recommended the exact same thing
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't use books. Just Medify and the official UKCAT tests online. I started around 4 weeks before my exam, a couple of hours a day.
I don't believe the 600q book is really that relevant anymore and also find its much better to get more familiar with the test format 😊
Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to take my UKCAT for uni but I just started my a-levels. Meaning my AS is October-November 2016 and my A2 is in May-June 2017. Should i take my UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? Planning to get into uni by Sept'17.
Original post by qiqi.leong
I'm planning to take my UKCAT for uni but I just started my a-levels. Meaning my AS is October-November 2016 and my A2 is in May-June 2017. Should i take my UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? Planning to get into uni by Sept'17.

You will take it this summer and apply via UCAS by this October.
If I started today (may) and my exam is at the end of July, do I still have time? pls advise :'( And I didn't participate any course or anything.
If I started today (may) and my exam is at the end of July, do I still have time? pls advise :'( And I didn't participate any course or anything.

You've got more than enough time, I'd say almost too much. I had my test 31st August last year and start preping at the end of July. I only used medify and did all the questions in their question bank. I saved the practice tests (medify + official ones) for the last 2 weeks or so and it helped a lot because it put me in a kind of rhythm before the test (I got 715 average). If you start too early you'll run out of questions/practice testq way too early. I guess it depends on how much work you want to put in each day, I prepared for 1 month but worked every day for at least 2 hours.
Reply 30
Anyone booked their test yet??

Personally, no. I bought one book and then used the free online resources and got:

VR 670
QR 790
AR 690
DA 610
Band 2 SJT

Still studying A Levels but have an offer for Liverpool Uni. I paid for absolutely no courses (interview, personal statement or UKCAT) so it can be done!

Just apply to your strengths but yes, your GCSE's will matter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely book to do it during the holidays because once you're back at school you'll want to focus on revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

Hi that should be plenty of time, as long as you know which method of practice works best for you. Some prefer taking it question by question using preparation books, some others like doing mock tests at once, then reviewing it. Meanwhile, others may decide to use courses to practice.

In my experience, taking the UKCAT was very short notice (under a week), because I booked a slot at the very end of the test period (had otherwise planned to take it the next year). Then again, I suppose I did have a bit of practice the year before using a book. In total, I used one book for preparation.

Hope it goes well for you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Booked my UKCAT for 10th of August but I won't start revising until I get back from holiday around a month before. I'm reapplying this year but I haven't done the UKCAT before so a little nervous. :s-smilie:

Original post by Usaamah
Anyone booked their test yet??
[QUOTE=Usaamah;64695087]Anyone booked their test yet??

YEss
Original post by Laurenk18
Personally, no. I bought one book and then used the free online resources and got:

VR 670
QR 790
AR 690
DA 610
Band 2 SJT

Still studying A Levels but have an offer for Liverpool Uni. I paid for absolutely no courses (interview, personal statement or UKCAT) so it can be done!

Just apply to your strengths but yes, your GCSE's will matter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My GCSE's are below those of an average applicant
2A* 6A 3B
I was planning to apply for Liverpool, do you think I stand a chance if I get a decent UKCAT score?
Thank you
My GCSE's are below those of an average applicant
2A* 6A 3B
I was planning to apply for Liverpool, do you think I stand a chance if I get a decent UKCAT score?
Thank you

If I remember correctly, they only need 5 GCSE's above a B and then 9 in total to actually apply. A high UKCAT score with those GCSE's should be sufficient but it depends who else applies. I think they take the top 50% through from academic ability and then read personal statements and interview just over 1000 who demonstrate they have the core values they're looking for. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Which medical schools place most emphasis on the UKCAT?
Reply 39
Original post by sm11adt
Which medical schools place most emphasis on the UKCAT?

I heard Kings have a high cut off, but please do check whether this still applies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending