The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Amedic
I heard Kings have a high cut off, but please do check whether this still applies!

Yep King's are quite big on UKCAT...... This is quite quite good for reading how unis use each section including SJT:

How universities use the UKCAT
Reply 41
anyone know nay good books to use?
Im taking the UKCAT this year, 2016, and ive heard about the the Decision making turning to the decision analysis section, and how it wont be marked.
So should I just practice for the other 4 sections (VR,QR,AR,SJT) and not DM/DA?

Thanks
no

do it properly incase you have to do the ukcat again
Original post by emmaK98
anyone know nay good books to use?

I booked my test on Wednesday for the end of July. I bought a book from Amazon called 1000 UKCAT questions, so far it seems really decent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-School-UKCAT-Practice-Questions/dp/1905812183/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463870042&sr=1-1&keywords=1000+UKCAT
On their website it says "A new Decision Making subtest is being piloted in the test. In 2016 candidates and Universities will not get a score for Decision Making; Universities will assess candidates based on the remaining four subtests. Please refer to their websites for further details."

So I would say you don't really need to revise for it. Concentrate on the areas that count.
Put more emphasis on the other 4 sections because like you said the Decision Making sub test will not be considered but you will be sitting it.
Reply 47
You still need to study for DA, but don't bother with DM. DM won't be used so doesn't matter if you get everything wrong, you oculd even guess answers! When I sat UKCAT, the SJT was being trialed, I didn't even bother ead the questions, jsut read the answers and selected the most obvious answer, still got band 1, but the point I was making was, I didn't care about SJT and just wanted to relax after wrecking my brain over the other sections haha
Original post by dakshsaksena
Im taking the UKCAT this year, 2016, and ive heard about the the Decision making turning to the decision analysis section, and how it wont be marked.
So should I just practice for the other 4 sections (VR,QR,AR,SJT) and not DM/DA?

Thanks

Good morning,

Hmm.. That's a tough one which many argue about!

We suggest you still prepare for the Decision Making section. The main reason being, it's never a good idea to disengage your brain in the middle of an exam! It's better to stay on the ball for the whole test.

We've got a blog about DM here to help you learn more about - feel free to check it out!

Furthermore, the UKCAT website also have an introduction to the DM section here, and they have a specific Decision Making tutorial here.

Hope the above helps - and good luck!

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Good morning,

Hmm.. That's a tough one which many argue about!

We suggest you still prepare for the Decision Making section. The main reason being, it's never a good idea to disengage your brain in the middle of an exam! It's better to stay on the ball for the whole test.

We've got a blog about DM here to help you learn more about - feel free to check it out!

Furthermore, the UKCAT website also have an introduction to the DM section here, and they have a specific Decision Making tutorial here.

Hope the above helps - and good luck!

The Medic Portal

Wait do you mean DM or DA??? The UKCAT site clearly states that for the 2016 attempt you should prepare for DA

Thanks!
Original post by dakshsaksena
Wait do you mean DM or DA??? The UKCAT site clearly states that for the 2016 attempt you should prepare for DA

Thanks!

Hello!

It all gets so confusing with all these acronyms... sorry!

Contrary to what you've written above, and in the original post, the Decision Making (DM) section is REPLACING the old Decision Analysis (DA) section.

So, the DA is old, the DM is new. You can read about the new DM section here.

Where on the UKCAT website does it say to prepare for Decision Analysis? This is the section that is being removed, so you won't be coming across this section when you sit the UKCAT. It would probably be a waste of time preparing for the Decision Analysis section. :smile:

You do however, want to revise the Decision Making section.

Looking forward to your reply,

The Medic Portal
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

I have booked my UKCAT for the 28th of September (because I'm not the brightest of candidates and am busy the whole Summer) so was wondering if it really is worth using medify?

I have the 1000 questions book but people keep saying medify is brilliant but I don't want to buy it now because it would cost a truckload. When should I buy it? Please help. So lost and scared with this test.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by .Jeff458
Hey guys,

I have booked my UKCAT for the 28th of September (because I'm not the brightest of candidates and am busy the whole Summer) so was wondering if it really is worth using medify?

I have the 1000 questions book but people keep saying medify is brilliant but I don't want to buy it now because it would cost a truckload. When should I buy it? Please help. So lost and scared with this test.

Trust me. Medify was the most useful resource in my opinion. It's nice to be able to practice the computer format as well. I used the 600 questions book just before that. It was a nice introduction but not that realistic. Two weeks medify will do a lot of good.
Also I wouldn't suggest doing the ukcat after you've gone back to school. Homework starts to pick up and doing it so close to the deadline doesn't give you much time to change your choices accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Trust me. Medify was the most useful resource in my opinion. It's nice to be able to practice the computer format as well. I used the 600 questions book just before that. It was a nice introduction but not that realistic. Two weeks medify will do a lot of good.
Also I wouldn't suggest doing the ukcat after you've gone back to school. Homework starts to pick up and doing it so close to the deadline doesn't give you much time to change your choices accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already booked it :frown:

That was my worry but I wanted as much time as possible.

Thanks so much for your advice. Would you be able to help on how the UKCAT is scored this year because I'm confused since stuff like Decision Making isn't necessary this year.

So if I do all the ukcat questions from the book, use medify you think I could get about 700 average and a Band 1 sjt?

That's my aim. Really high but hopefully I can persevere :smile:
Also, is it true that we get whiteboards in the test?

Apparantley you need to ask for a new one when you fill it up? Why can't you just rub it out with your hands though? So confused :s-smilie:
Original post by mliela

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lastly, what is there to use on Medify once you purchase it? Is it a course or something or just access to questions? Thanks so much for your help!
Reply 56
Already booked it :frown:

That was my worry but I wanted as much time as possible.

Thanks so much for your advice. Would you be able to help on how the UKCAT is scored this year because I'm confused since stuff like Decision Making isn't necessary this year.

So if I do all the ukcat questions from the book, use medify you think I could get about 700 average and a Band 1 sjt?

That's my aim. Really high but hopefully I can persevere :smile:

If you need to you can always change it. I changed my date about three times.
Sorry but I have no idea about scoring this year. From what I've heard I think you're not scored on the new section. But instead it's just to see how you do.

Personally I think it's best to aim for as high a score as possible. I got 757.5 and band two which I didn't expect. It's hard to say. There's no guarantee as everyone's different, can't say if using certain resources will get you a certain score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Also, is it true that we get whiteboards in the test?

Apparantley you need to ask for a new one when you fill it up? Why can't you just rub it out with your hands though? So confused :s-smilie:

From what I remember we had some sort of thing to write on. Not sure if it was a paper pad or a white board. I never asked for a new one so I assume you can rub it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Lastly, what is there to use on Medify once you purchase it? Is it a course or something or just access to questions? Thanks so much for your help!

It's more about practice. So you can practice the questions in the time limit in a similar format. It also assesses how you do and let's you know what areas you're best in. It has a series of practice questions and mock tests which vary in difficulty. The answers are also fully explained which is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,

Hey Jeff, I am also sitting the UKCAT this year booked mine for the 28th July. From what I know we only get scores on VR, QR and AR. So the total will be out of 2700. I'm similar to you as in I'm not sure wether to get medify as I already have the 1000 book. How much revision are you planning on doing and when are you going to start do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending