The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euan1603
Hey Jeff, I am also sitting the UKCAT this year booked mine for the 28th July. From what I know we only get scores on VR, QR and AR. So the total will be out of 2700. I'm similar to you as in I'm not sure wether to get medify as I already have the 1000 book. How much revision are you planning on doing and when are you going to start do you think?

hey.

best of luck. I will try and do the book and might get medify. not sure, but i am soooo scared.

i will start next week probs and do about an hour a day because of work experience. wbu?

What do you aim for? I think if you do all questions from the book you should be fine. I mean it is 1000 questions! When will you start because yours is in July?

Best of luck. Hope you do great :smile:
Original post by mliela
It's more about practice. So you can practice the questions in the time limit in a similar format. It also assesses how you do and let's you know what areas you're best in. It has a series of practice questions and mock tests which vary in difficulty. The answers are also fully explained which is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh. That's an amazing score! whoah!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your help!
Original post by .Jeff458
hey.

best of luck. I will try and do the book and might get medify. not sure, but i am soooo scared.

i will start next week probs and do about an hour a day because of work experience. wbu?

What do you aim for? I think if you do all questions from the book you should be fine. I mean it is 1000 questions! When will you start because yours is in July?

Best of luck. Hope you do great :smile:

Yeh I am not looking forward to it, let's put it that way. I've started now just going over the basics. Did a timed quantitative reasoning and The timing was absolutely horrendous plus the confusing questions. I will probably get medify during the last week of my revison.
Yeh I am not looking forward to it, let's put it that way. I've started now just going over the basics. Did a timed quantitative reasoning and The timing was absolutely horrendous plus the confusing questions. I will probably get medify during the last week of my revison.

Yeah. I'm so worried :frown:

What would be a high score? Like last year ot was out of 3600 I am pretty sure and offers made were generally around 2700 so how would that work out for us?

How much revision are you doing each day just to get an idea because I have no clue!

My timing is awful too. If you run out, do you just guess the questions??
Also: Kaplan? Anybody use this? Is it good and worthwhile? There are comments on its website from ppl who got 3000+ but is thhat them just trying to lure me in?
Yeah. I'm so worried :frown:

What would be a high score? Like last year ot was out of 3600 I am pretty sure and offers made were generally around 2700 so how would that work out for us?

How much revision are you doing each day just to get an idea because I have no clue!

My timing is awful too. If you run out, do you just guess the questions??

I would like to aim for over 3000 I know this is high but I think with practice could be achievable. So maybe 2225/2700 I've not being doing that much per day probs only about 30 mins but hopefully gonna ramp that up to an hour. It's annoying how highly unis view the UKCAT because it's so difficult!
They don't mark negatively so yeh there's no harm in just guessing if u run out of time
I would like to aim for over 3000 I know this is high but I think with practice could be achievable. So maybe 2225/2700 I've not being doing that much per day probs only about 30 mins but hopefully gonna ramp that up to an hour. It's annoying how highly unis view the UKCAT because it's so difficult!
They don't mark negatively so yeh there's no harm in just guessing if u run out of time

Oh that's good!

An hour a day is a quite a lot still! It's so frustrating how people on here are saying they started a month before their test and got sky high marks!

What do you do if you run out of time/ Do you guess or just leave it?

Are you wanting to do Medicine? What uni's you wanting to apply? I really am not sure but probably just here in my hometown :smile:
Oh that's good!

An hour a day is a quite a lot still! It's so frustrating how people on here are saying they started a month before their test and got sky high marks!

Are you wanting to do Medicine? What uni's you wanting to apply? I really am not sure but probably just here in my hometown :smile:

When you have less than a minute left in a section then you need to put down guesses for all remaining questions. There are no negative marks and it may help you gain a few more points.

There are only limited resources really. A month is more than enough time to prep for the UKCAT. Enjoy a break post summer exams before rushing in to prep for the UKCAT.
Original post by ForestCat
When you have less than a minute left in a section then you need to put down guesses for all remaining questions. There are no negative marks and it may help you gain a few more points.

There are only limited resources really. A month is more than enough time to prep for the UKCAT. Enjoy a break post summer exams before rushing in to prep for the UKCAT.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Will definitely take that on board :smile:
Oh that's good!

Yeh tbh I probs won't do an hour haha. Yeh I'm wanting to do medicine. Wbu? I'm probs gonna apply to Dundee, Edinburugh, St A, Glasgow. My first choice being Edinburgh.
Reply 70
Ahhh. That's an amazing score! whoah!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your help!

Haha thank you. It's fine good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh tbh I probs won't do an hour haha. Yeh I'm wanting to do medicine. Wbu? I'm probs gonna apply to Dundee, Edinburugh, St A, Glasgow. My first choice being Edinburgh.

Yeah Medicine too.

Edinburgh is competitive isn't it?
What things have you got for your personal statement? I just have stuff like work experience hahaha
Yeah Medicine too.

Edinburgh is competitive isn't it?
What things have you got for your personal statement? I just have stuff like work experience hahaha

Yeh it is and it seems they like a good UKCAT. I've got work experience coming up, had a bit already but not too much. Got two volunteering jobs atm plus a real job which can be difficult at times haha. I'm doing Dofe gold aswell which will hopefully give me something to write about haha, what sort of work experience do you have? Not sure how much I need as it is pretty difficult to get
Yeh it is and it seems they like a good UKCAT. I've got work experience coming up, had a bit already but not too much. Got two volunteering jobs atm plus a real job which can be difficult at times haha. I'm doing Dofe gold aswell which will hopefully give me something to write about haha, what sort of work experience do you have? Not sure how much I need as it is pretty difficult to get

Right there with you my man. I have a bit of work experience in the Summer before the agonising pain and tears of the UKCAT. I wouldn't worry about work experience quantity. I have seen people get in with 1 or 2 placements only. It really is just showing that you learned from it and didn't hide out in the toilet the whole time hahahahaha

Edinburgh is also my first choice. Are you a Scottish applicant??
Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle QR
Yeh I am, wbu? Would love to go to Edinburugh seems like such a great uni
Yeh I am, wbu? Would love to go to Edinburugh seems like such a great uni

Yeah I'm a Scottish applicant. Yeah Edinburgh seems like such a great place to study at.
Original post by OneAfrica
Yeah I'm a Scottish applicant. Yeah Edinburgh seems like such a great place to study at.

5th year yeah? How did the exams go for you? I thought they were not too bad actually. What sort of work experience etc do you have/planning on getting. Soz for all the questions, just like to see how other people are doing as I'm the only person in my year wanting to do medicine so I have no one to talk to uni about haha
Reply 79
Original post by OneAfrica
Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle QR

Practice practice practice. Fast maths is necessary. I got 850 in QR in the end which I was extremely happy about.
General things like dealing with percentages is useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending