The Student Room Group

Why are so many people dependent on the government in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Mate idleness of a minority costs us a fraction in the scheme of things. The UK's debt is not because Ronnie Pickering and his ilk want to sit on the sofa in their ball stranglers scratching their balls and eating smart price monster munch instead of working.

It's spare capacity we are not putting to use.
Original post by Bill_Gates
It's spare capacity we are not putting to use.

Well obviously but its not the reason the economy is in the ****ter, Also you cant put people to work if their are more people than jobs

Either governments have continually been giving away freebies for votes i.e
Working tax credits, housing benefits, child tax credits etc

Or

Our policies are not great for employment, starting businesses, self employed, protecting industries etc

What do you think? or is it both?

When tax credits came in around 2002 they cost less than £5bn, they now cost around £30bn. Universal welfare payments and stuff like tax credits are a great electoral ploy in that most of the working poor can still survive without them but will hurt any party that reduces their standard of living when taken away.

I dare say we could save £20bn per year just in the welfare and pensions bill.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Well obviously but its not the reason the economy is in the ****ter, Also you cant put people to work if their are more people than jobs

You are failing to acknowledge my point - re-read my original post and the whole host of benefits it covers. It's one of the main reasons.
You are failing to acknowledge my point - re-read my original post and the whole host of benefits it covers. It's one of the main reasons.

Well making people homeless and denying them enough money to get by seems counter intuitive to getting people working and their productivity up

Maybe the UK needs to invest better in industries for the future. Im not well informed enough in this area to say with any certainty
(edited 8 years ago)

Either governments have continually been giving away freebies for votes i.e
Working tax credits, housing benefits, child tax credits etc

Or

Our policies are not great for employment, starting businesses, self employed, protecting industries etc

What do you think? or is it both?

The former not the latter,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending