The Student Room Group

Gap year??

Ive always wanted to go to uni however its already half term and im in yr13 and STILL don't know what i want to study so I'm contemplating a gap year. I have no particular career direction in mind (hence not knoeing what degree) and i feel like im missing something from my life at the moment and im not sure how to fix that and a structured gap year seems like a viable option. My biggest con for this is that im already a drifter, will a gap year just lead to me drifting even more?? What's your opinion om gap years? When should you take one and when should you just take a leap and go to uni?
Original post by Nadnight258
Ive always wanted to go to uni however its already half term and im in yr13 and STILL don't know what i want to study so I'm contemplating a gap year. I have no particular career direction in mind (hence not knoeing what degree) and i feel like im missing something from my life at the moment and im not sure how to fix that and a structured gap year seems like a viable option. My biggest con for this is that im already a drifter, will a gap year just lead to me drifting even more?? What's your opinion om gap years? When should you take one and when should you just take a leap and go to uni?

Make sure you spend time working, if a uni interviews you asking how you spent it and you said you went "travelling" to Thailand or Magaluf they really won't be impressed, because they'll know you spent a year partying. Maybe try different jobs and hobbies out. I'm the biggest drifter going at 19 and I'm still confused about what job I want so I know how you feel...
Original post by Nadnight258

I'm the same, I'm confused but I know I want to go to university. I am taking a year out to give me some direction, it seems like a better plan rather then applying to quickly and hating it, or wasting money by dropping out.
There's no point applying to a course just because you feel obliged to. University doesn't require you to enter at 18. Take a year out, if you need to take more. You may find that you realise what you want to do, but equally you may settle into a career and not need uni after all.

Quick Reply

Latest