The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Argh Picked the wrong College.

I'm planning to go to Durham (Stockton) to do Primary Teaching BA, there are two colleges ; John Snow and Stephenson, I've got a letter sent to me that I've been accepted at John Snow College and found out it's further away from the Ebworth Campus where the lectures takes place. The Stephenson College is right next the Ebworth Campus.
Would I be able to change colleges? :redface:

Sezkin

XxX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's about a 5-10 minute walk I believe, lol.....there's really no point in changing!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
dobbs
It's about a 5-10 minute walk I believe, lol.....there's really no point in changing!

Oh...how embaressing :redface:

It's just on the map they provided me, it looks far...:p: But then again, I'm lazy at getting up in the morning and walking...

Also I found out one of my friend is doing the same course as me but she's at the Stephenson one.
I hope I'll be with some people on my course who are in the John Snow College.

XxX
Reply 3
Yeah if you mean this map...

Then number 1 is John Snow college, it's literally a 5 minute walk around the corner from Stephenson and the main buildings. And your friend at Stephenson - since they're not catered colleges (i.e. you make your own food) then you'll be able to see her loads if you do meals together/go out for food together.

Plus in my opinion it's good that you're not in the same college, means you can still be good mates but you'll also easily make new friends rather than just sticking with her all the time :smile:
Reply 4
dobbs
Yeah if you mean this map...

Then number 1 is John Snow college, it's literally a 5 minute walk around the corner from Stephenson and the main buildings. And your friend at Stephenson - since they're not catered colleges (i.e. you make your own food) then you'll be able to see her loads if you do meals together/go out for food together.

Plus in my opinion it's good that you're not in the same college, means you can still be good mates but you'll also easily make new friends rather than just sticking with her all the time :smile:

Yeah thats the map! :p: Have you been to Stockton btw? if so, what did you like about it?
I'm really looking forward to the open day and I'm hoping to go :smile: . Do you by any chance do any activities like rowing, football, Rugby..etc? I fancy joining a team there like rowing or netball. (That is if I get the grades :biggrin:).
Reply 5
Sezkin
Yeah thats the map! :p: Have you been to Stockton btw? if so, what did you like about it?
I'm really looking forward to the open day and I'm hoping to go :smile: . Do you by any chance do any activities like rowing, football, Rugby..etc? I fancy joining a team there like rowing or netball. (That is if I get the grades :biggrin:).

Hey,

I'm not at Queens Campus - I'm at Trevelyan College actually in Durham, but I have been to Queens Campus in Stockton a few times (and been to just Stockton quite a few times more).

The Campus is really nice, I haven't seen John Snow College but am sure it's similar to the main area of buildings. Some of the facilities are really nice as they're all modern buildings and all that.

As for actually Stockton, well yeah it's not the nicest place in the world but the town centre is being redeveloped slowly and so some areas are looking quite nice at the moment but you have to remember that Stockton is quite an "underdeveloped" northern town and so there are a few things that aren't very nice about it.

On the sports, every college in Durham, including John Snow and George Stephenson, have sports teams - I know for a fact that they both have rowing teams and have excellent facilities for rowing - including a brand new Watersports Centre that they share with Tees Rowing Club. I row myself and so have been there quite a few times for competitions and such, it's a really good stretch of river to learn on and the watersports centre is an amazing facility to have! For other sports I couldn't say, but I'm sure John Snow will have a netball team :smile:

There are some people on TSR who are at Queens Campus and will be able to tell you more, but if they don't pop in anytime soon, just do a search on the forum for things like "John Snow" "Stockton" "Queens Campus" etc etc and I'm sure you'll find loads of information on them :smile:
Reply 6
I'm at Trevelyan College actually in Durham,

ELITIST! (:p:)
Reply 7
arkbar
ELITIST! (:p:)

lol I know! :rolleyes:

At least I didn't refer to people at Queens Campus as "Stocktonites"....oh bugger! :wink:
Reply 8
The correct term is 'valued members of our diverse community'! :mad:
Reply 9
arkbar
The correct term is 'valued members of our diverse community'! :mad:

lol really? Sometimes it seems like the University itself is more patronising towards Queens than some of the students! :rolleyes:
Reply 10
No, I just made that up. I don't think the university cares as long as it's making money from them.
Hello elitists. Sezkin john snow is about a five minute walk away - just think of all that free exercise. I live 35 mins walk away!!! P.s. im in john snow (then again ive been stephenson too)
dobbs
lol really? Sometimes it seems like the University itself is more patronising towards Queens than some of the students! :rolleyes:

U know what the university cant stop praising the med school and teaching and such like courses in the area. Please dont start this again.
Reply 13
pinkfeather76
U know what the university cant stop praising the med school and teaching and such like courses in the area. Please dont start this again.

1. Nothing started, lots of joking going on. Note the :rolleyes: smiley.

2. Although not explicit to the points that I have made above, I would like to explain the usage of patronising behaviour....you say the university can't stop praising the med school, etc. IF (not that they do) they said "Oh yeah the med school is so amazing and it does such a lovely job and we're all SO proud of it!" then that would be patronising i.e. if people over-praise something then that is being patronising, just as if a teacher were to praise a 16 year old for colouring inside the lines.

However I'm not saying the University does that, I just wanted to clarify that praise can be a part of patronising.
Reply 14
I'm going to study applied psychology at queens and I'm also in John snow(not in halls), just accepted it as my firm offer so I'm deffentley going. I'm a local though and its not that bad here there are some good nights out like tall trees in yarm and middlesbrough plus the middlesbrough uni night club is brill.:p:
Reply 15
I'm bored and I have nothing to do while my laundry is being done. I will therefore analyse to see just how many of the last 50 'news items' on dur.ac.uk relate to the medical school, either by research or a puff piece or whatever.
Actually, having spent about 10 minutes doing that I've realised just how dull that was and so couldn't be arsed. However, of the last 21 relevant news articles, a whole 2 were about the medical school and 1 mentioned Queens campus.
Being patronising is fun you guys!
I knew you wouldnt be able to resist in puttng down queens campus in some kind of way - why do you keep posting on queens campus threads if all you do is put people down - i think your trying to make up for a small something -:eek: :wink: . Like id expect any less of you by now. Oh and if queens campus is really that trashy then maybe i'll have to hunt you down and get some of my chavvs after you.

I hope i never have the misfortune of encountering you in real life - then again i wouldnt wish that on anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

Oh well you lose all maps in an alien invasion and your stranded in the middle of nowhere with no compass and the internets broken im sure your geography degree may come in useful somehow. Look over there its a tree.

Lisa are you on about tesside union?? Its amazing there. Vodka frezy on a tuesday. Hasnt it been voted best union for a number ofyears running???
Reply 17
Just stop spewing ****. You seem to think no matter what people say about Queen's, and how much they insist they are jokes, they are giving it a battering. Whatever any of us says about Stockton you always think we're implying that it's a ****hole, which we don't. It seems to me that you see Queen's as inferior and are just trying to persuade yourself.
pinkfeather76

I hope i never have the misfortune of encountering you in real life - then again i wouldnt wish that on anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

Oh well you lose all maps in an alien invasion and your stranded in the middle of nowhere with no compass and the internets broken im sure your geography degree may come in useful somehow. Look over there its a tree.

Ooooh, Arkbar, you got owned!! A veritable torrent of wit if ever I saw one.:p:
ssmoose
Just stop spewing ****. You seem to think no matter what people say about Queen's, and how much they insist they are jokes, they are giving it a battering. Whatever any of us says about Stockton you always think we're implying that it's a ****hole, which we don't. It seems to me that you see Queen's as inferior and are just trying to persuade yourself.

indeed, the words inferiority and complex spring to mind.

Latest