The Student Room Group

Why is there no society/culture/religion dominated by women?

Scroll to see replies

Um, there are societies run by women.
They called matriarchal societies. Example of one is a tribe in China called Mosuo. In this tribe, the inheretence is passed from mother to daughter (or from female relative to female relative), women can choose mutiple partners and there's no stigma attached to this, male partners hardly have a part to play in the upbringing of the children, the children take the mother's name and there's not a word for husband or father in their local language.

Other women led societies include:
Garo people, India and Bangladesh
Nagovisi, New Guinea
Sarmatains, Ukraine and Northern Russia
Bribri, Costa Rica

Do your research.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Um, there are societies run by women.
They called matriarchal societies. Example of one is a tribe in China called Mosuo. In this tribe, the inheretence is passed from mother to daughter (or from female relative to female relative), women can choose mutiple partners and there's no stigma attached to this, male partners hardly have a part to play in the upbringing of the children, the children take the mother's name and there's not a word for husband or father in their local language.

Other women led societies include:
Garo people, India and Bangladesh
Nagovisi, New Guinea
Sarmatains, Ukraine and Northern Russia
Bribri, Costa Rica

Do your research.

From wiki "Most anthropologists hold that there are no known societies that are unambiguously matriarchal"

Please note there is a big difference between running a family unit and running a society. Though you have supplied some interesting examples which are worth looking at.
there are somewhere, i can't remember where but i read it in the news once about some tribe/culture lead by women :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by skeptical_john
This is something I've been thinking about for a while though not actually researched as that's boring!

There is enough evidence around now which shows as the amount of women in a team increases so does the performance (all other things being equal). Why have they not used this skill to improve their situation?

And no it's not about strength. How many societies are ran by the strongest bloke? The new pope isnt decided by a royal rumble in the Vatican there must be more to it than that.

One possibility is when women have children this becomes their focus but I'm interested in what others think.

From wiki "Most anthropologists hold that there are no known societies that are unambiguously matriarchal"

Please note there is a big difference between running a family unit and running a society. Though you have supplied some interesting examples which are worth looking at.

Not true. In the Mosuo tribe, women govern the society. The women make all the business decisions. All the women have the dominant power roles and hold all the political office whilst most men are sent away from the village to work, usually in the trade (which are the weaker positions)

I cannot say this for the rest of the societies I listed as I haven't researched them in enough depth yet.
P.s. I wouldn't use wiki as a end-all source.
Original post by DiddyDec
No that is because many CEOs are in the older generations so the women in those generations were not afforded the opportunities they have today therefore are not suitable for the job. This will change in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uncharacteristically optimistic of you.
Original post by nucdev
Nope. Firstly the many headed elephant you're referring to is Airavata and he is hardly worshipped - he's the "vehicle" of Indra (a deity who is almost never worshipped by modern Hindus).
There's Ganesha who only has one elephant head, but not all Hindus worship Him.

Most sects of Hinduism are actually monotheistic in the sense that they will worship only one Ultimate and regard all other deities as manifestations or avatars of their Ishta-devta (chosen personal form of the Absolute).

So Shaktas would consider the Divine Mother as the only Absolute and all other deities (even male ones) like Ganesha, Vishnu, Shiva would all be different aspects/manifestations/avatars of Her.

Still sounds a bit ooga booga to me, but whatever floats ya boat.
Reply 27
Original post by Melancholy
Still sounds a bit ooga booga to me, but whatever floats ya boat.

Well it's not my sect of Hinduism anyway, but I was just providing some info.

I'm a non-theistic Hindu - and yes that is acceptable in Hinduism as well.
Original post by MAINE.
This is what a society dominated by women looks like:

Not even kidding.

Yes, because there has never been war or violence in countries run by men either.
There have been civilisations run by women in the past, like empress Wu of China. I recommend the programme 'the ascent of women' if you want to know more, it's really interesting.
Reply 30
Original post by simbasdragon
Yes, because there has never been war or violence in countries run by men either.

lol way to miss the point.

I am not saying a society run by women would be warring or violent....I am saying a society run by women would end up crashing and burning to the ground :lol:
Original post by MAINE.
lol way to miss the point.

I am not saying a society run by women would be warring or violent....I am saying a society run by women would end up crashing and burning to the ground :lol:

Like the thousands of societies run by men too you mean? I'm failing to see your point.
I'm curious to see what you're going to post @driftawaay :biggrin:
Reply 33
This is something I've been thinking about for a while though not actually researched as that's boring!

There is enough evidence around now which shows as the amount of women in a team increases so does the performance (all other things being equal). Why have they not used this skill to improve their situation?

And no it's not about strength. How many societies are ran by the strongest bloke? The new pope isnt decided by a royal rumble in the Vatican there must be more to it than that.

One possibility is when women have children this becomes their focus but I'm interested in what others think.

How do you know this to be the case?

I'm pretty sure that physical strength / muscle mass etc in addition to child rearing comes into it. However, I'm sure I've read that there are societies more cut off from the Western world, or at least there were, in which women were dominant.
Some examples of matriarchal societies:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31274/6-modern-societies-where-women-literally-rule

and the way in which Judaism is inherited from the mother suggests she has more power religiously, as well as the interpretation of religious texts as doing us far more justice than others:

http://theguilteaparty.tumblr.com/post/73192438939
(one of the best posts on tumblr)

there are many more, not that this means universal equality has been reached in any of these situations....that will take a lot more work.
Original post by MAINE.
This is what a society dominated by women looks like:

Not even kidding.

:colonhash: :colonhash: do ya want a kick up the botty or what?
Reply 36
Original post by DiddyDec
No that is because many CEOs are in the older generations so the women in those generations were not afforded the opportunities they have today therefore are not suitable for the job. This will change in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men are preferred over women in the business world, because 99% of succesful entrepeneurs, especially in the technology industry, are men

Quick Reply

Latest