The Student Room Group

Leaving the EU - Positive effect for the British working class?

- More jobs will be available for them (hopefully higher paid)
- Rents should go down
- Wages should steadily increase over time

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by Bill_Gates

- Rents should go down

What do you guys think?

1. This works counter-wise for firms - less labour to choose from, lower competitiveness.
2. I don't think leaving the EU will have a noticeable effect on rents. The UK is not going to block everyone from the EU - the demand will still be high.
3. As above, it will raise labour costs and will affect the competitiveness of UK firms (let alone that it may lead to redundancies).
Reply 2
Original post by *Stefan*
1. This works counter-wise for firms - less labour to choose from, lower competitiveness.
2. I don't think leaving the EU will have a noticeable effect on rents. The UK is not going to block everyone from the EU - the demand will still be high.
3. As above, it will raise labour costs and will affect the competitiveness of UK firms (let alone that it may lead to redundancies).

So? positive effect for the working class - Yes!
Reply 3
So? positive effect for the working class - Yes!

Erm, in what way is the extra burden on firms positive for the working class? Don't forget it's them employing that working class.
Reply 4
Erm, in what way is the extra burden on firms positive for the working class? Don't forget it's them employing that working class.

erm so you're saying that getting rid of millions of foreign labour and having the british working class there will therefore raise wages so much that even THEY will be put out of work and in a worse situation than before?

No that's nonsense. British working class will be MUCH better off outside the EU.
Reply 5
erm so you're saying that getting rid of millions of foreign labour and having the british working class there will therefore raise wages so much that even THEY will be put out of work and in a worse situation than before?

Pretty much. It's basic economics - higher labour costs = higher total costs = lower competitiveness = redundancy.

Obviously it's not certain that this is what will happen - I based it on what YOU said. Still, if you claim that what YOU stated may not happen then the argument becomes self-defeating.

No that's nonsense. British working class will be MUCH better off outside the EU.

If you say so cowboy :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Pretty much. It's basic economics - higher labour costs = higher total costs = lower competitiveness = redundancy.

Obviously it's not certain that this is what will happen - I based it on what YOU said. Still, if you claim that what YOU stated may not happen then the argument becomes self-defeating.

If you say so cowboy :rolleyes:

erm yeah you just agreed with my point. But they will still be better off.
Reply 7
erm yeah you just agreed with my point. But they will still be better off.

Whatever bro.
Reply 8
Whatever bro.

Come at me brah
Reply 9
It will all be positive for the working class. If you haven't realised the EU only benefits the rich, you need help

Ever wondered why it's the rich who are so keen to defend it? They love the EU, it's everyone else who suffers
(edited 8 years ago)

- Rents should go down

What do you guys think?

It will be better but it will take quite some time for it to be noticed

Posted from TSR Mobile

- Rents should go down

What do you guys think?

Its estimated that the last year saw immigrant employment increase by a little over 200,000 (labour market statistics from the ONS) so even if immigration stopped completely (it won't, otherwise we wouldn't have non EU immigration close to 300,000) then we'd still not see a stunning change. Less people arriving also means less demand so you'd probably have slower jobs growth too even if unemployment fell a little faster.

Rents would decrease in London somewhat but in rural areas especially there's little immigration pressure so mixed returns.

Evidence suggests that only the lowest skilled suffer wage compression (skilled workers actually get paid more) so that may reduce a little but we'd go back to having jobs outsourced which is what people were complaining a out a decade ago.

For the unemployed and working poor its probably good. For Mr average and above its probably more bad than good when you consider that more than 50% of people still own property and will have to pay more for plumbers and builders.

I'd add that immigration won't be reduced to the level people think. There's nothing that makes me think either the Tories or Labour seriously want to shred immigration.
Original post by Gears265
It will all be positive for the working class. If you haven't realised the EU only benefits the rich, you need help

Ever wondered why it's the rich who are so keen to defend it? They love the EU, it's everyone else who suffers

Agreed it's some what positive for the upper middle class too. It's a disgrace for the working class and always has been.
Original post by Rakas21
Its estimated that the last year saw immigrant employment increase by a little over 200,000 (labour market statistics from the ONS) so even if immigration stopped completely (it won't, otherwise we wouldn't have non EU immigration close to 300,000) then we'd still not see a stunning change. Less people arriving also means less demand so you'd probably have slower jobs growth too even if unemployment fell a little faster.

Rents would decrease in London somewhat but in rural areas especially there's little immigration pressure so mixed returns.

Evidence suggests that only the lowest skilled suffer wage compression (skilled workers actually get paid more) so that may reduce a little but we'd go back to having jobs outsourced which is what people were complaining a out a decade ago.

For the unemployed and working poor its probably good. For Mr average and above its probably more bad than good when you consider that more than 50% of people still own property and will have to pay more for plumbers and builders.

I'd add that immigration won't be reduced to the level people think. There's nothing that makes me think either the Tories or Labour seriously want to shred immigration.

We would still have more checks in place for the immigrants who do still arrive. Right now we have very little from Europe which is a joke. We are getting people who can't speak proper english, have no skills or very little education and dont' acknowledge the local customs.

We are creating a new underclass from Europe. It will be much better for the working class to vote against the EU. About builders/plumbers i know MANY people who would like to do that work and places are limited on apprenticeships etc. We can easily create more builders and plumbers with adequate training schemes in place.
We would still have more checks in place for the immigrants who do still arrive. Right now we have very little from Europe which is a joke. We are getting people who can't speak proper english, have no skills or very little education and dont' acknowledge the local customs.

We are creating a new underclass from Europe. It will be much better for the working class to vote against the EU. About builders/plumbers i know MANY people who would like to do that work and places are limited on apprenticeships etc. We can easily create more builders and plumbers with adequate training schemes in place.

Your describing Muslims, not Poles. In my experience most of them do speak English and have a reasonable education (though take poor work because it's still better than Poland).

Again, my experience is that non-EU migrants are more of an underclass. See Bradford as an example.
Original post by Rakas21
Your describing Muslims, not Poles. In my experience most of them do speak English and have a reasonable education (though take poor work because it's still better than Poland).

Again, my experience is that non-EU migrants are more of an underclass. See Bradford as an example.

You're*

No i'm not actually. You will find many poor migrants from EU countries with little to no language skills Romania, Latvia etc.

Typical racism from a council estate that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending