The Student Room Group

No Maintenance Grant

Since the the government is planning to scrap student maintenance grant for those who plan on going to university next year, I just wanted to ask some questions in regards to how to manage my money.

Excluding accommodation how much do you spend monthly/yearly on text books and other learning resources?

I don't plan on taking the maintenance loan due to the fact my debt will be more difficult to clear unless I absolutely need it, so what could be the best plan of action in terms of saving?

Are there any other ways( or any organisations) where I could receive some help in funding for uni resources?

Finally, any tips on how I could try to spend the minimum amount during my years at uni?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond :smile:
Original post by thelizzister
Since the the government is planning to scrap student maintenance grant for those who plan on going to university next year, I just wanted to ask some questions in regards to how to manage my money.

Excluding accommodation how much do you spend monthly/yearly on text books and other learning resources?

I don't plan on taking the maintenance loan due to the fact my debt will be more difficult to clear unless I absolutely need it, so what could be the best plan of action in terms of saving?

Are there any other ways( or any organisations) where I could receive some help in funding for uni resources?

Finally, any tips on how I could try to spend the minimum amount during my years at uni?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond :smile:

Student finance debt is the best kind of debt you could have- think of it more like a tax than a debt because you are only being chased up for it if you can afford it and it gets written off after so many years. It is the main source of income available to undergraduate students- the only other two are university bursaries for those with households on the lowest incomes and a student overdraft.

In my case I realised buying textbooks was a waste of time (a year too late sadly) because the uni library had everything I needed, so most of my non accommodation expenditure was on food and social costs- alcohol, club entry, taxi fare e.c.t plus train fares home.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Student finance debt is the best kind of debt you could have- think of it more like a tax than a debt because you are only being chased up for it if you can afford it and it gets written off after so many years. It is the main source of income available to undergraduate students- the only other two are university bursaries for those with households on the lowest incomes and a student overdraft.

In my case I realised buying textbooks was a waste of time (a year too late sadly) because the uni library had everything I needed, so most of my non accommodation expenditure was on food and social costs- alcohol, club entry, taxi fare e.c.t plus train fares home.

thanks for the quick reply, what would you say is your estimated total in spending monthly?
I think Jelly has the right idea. I think I bought one, maybe two textbooks during my time at a rbick uni. It's one of the cheapest loans you can get. You don't pay anything back until you earn over £21k per year. If you earn less, your repayments stop. After 30 years, your student loan is written off.
Reply 4
This is what I spent at uni;

£340 a month rent (inc bills and internet) but this is a lot higher now, with halls costing about £130 a week.
£5 a month on laundry costs (we had a washing machine and tumble so this is just some detergent)
£100 a month on food/toiletries
£100 a month on nights out
£30 a month on phone bill
£5 a month on printing for uni work
£50 a month for clothes

I had a part time job so was a bit more lavish with food and clothes but it needn't be that expensive. I also lived close to my parents so I did not need to factor in traveling home for holidays and close to uni so no need for travel costs there either. Im sure there are other things too but I can't think right now... You might also want to factor in;

The initial cost of moving to uni- pots, pans, plates, cutlery, bedding, salt/pepper/gravy and other stock up items, storage boxes, cups, mugs, tv for room, radio, laptop, stationary
prescriptions/ glasses
Netflix
hair dye/ other luxury toiletries
eating out
clubs and societies
trips
bowling/cinema/ice skating/ swimming
•gym membership

lots to think about!

Quick Reply

Latest